DPM is getting dumped

Maple-Leaf

I'm excited about this, because while it's not MC, it's close enough that i'm proud that we've finally got an awesome looking camo, DDPM is great, but i've always hated DPM.

But i've seen a text picture of 4 squaddies, two wearing MTP one with DPM and one with DDPM, you could really see just how dark DPM is, but what really got me is the fact that the guy wearing the new MTP had on a pair on black issue boots, Eegads.

Fashion Faux Pas or what.

I'll be waiting to see some pictures of our lads geared up before I decide whether I'm totally behind it or not.

What I was thinking though is if there will be any leeway about guys buying MC pouches and the like in the transition period while they are trying to get plate carriers and webbing in MTP.

Guess your´re referring to this Pic.

mtp_mod6hrg.jpg

This Picture ist taken in a backround the DSTL was thinking resembles the flora of Helmand Province best. The Pattern is "developed" for this region and might work in orthers as well. I would like to see it in jungle or temperate nothern regions. So in the end I´m not to shure if we´ll see all DPm being faded out. As MC already didn´t proof to work in such regions. In generral I personally wouldn´t divide between Desert and woodland Patterns, as one can see, that nowadays battlefields require a different view on it. I´d prefer to differ between "Light" and "dark" camouflage Patterns who would both be able to perform in multiple enviroments. But I´m convinced one will always require more than one camouflage pattern to cover the possible terrains of future conflicts.

Anyway read this interessting article taken from the DSTL Website

http://www.dstl.gov.uk/news_events/press/p...age%20FINAL.pdf

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From Argentina Defence and Security Report 2010

Tension with the UK over the Falkland Islands continues to mar relations between the two countries and this is likely to increase over the coming years. The British maintain the stance that negotiations will only take place over the sovereignty of the Islands according to the wish of the Islanders. The issue is being clouded by complaints by the Islanders about Argentine interference in the economy of the Falklands, threatening its limited industries. The fishing dispute has worsened in that Argentina has withdrawn from a fisheries management commission – which could mean serious damage to fish stocks. The Argentines have also banned charter planes travelling from Chile over Argentine airspace to the Falklands, and have banned hydrocarbon industry workers in Argentina from taking up similar work on the Islands.

Anyway back on topic, once MTP is fully released will the "Ally Old Sweats" be digging out their DPM smocks? ;)

yawn....That's hardly hotting up is it? More like the opening crawl of The Phantom Menace tbh.

Sorry to be a style queen here - I have never been fond of the old fashioned BDU cuts of multicam - Was it SEAL or ICE who did the traditional style 'button' BDUs in MC?

And yes I know that style isn't important to the MOD or most real soldiers. I am however long out of uniform and like to cut a dash...

Hopefully we'll get more modern patterns of uniform with MTP...

That said, I do have a SAS smock thingy in MC which has both buttons and Velcro and it's kind of rakish.

yawn....That's hardly hotting up is it? More like the opening crawl of The Phantom Menace tbh.
And we all know how that ended up? ;)

Personally I think that this "one camo fits all" approach is a step back - it'll be Red Tunics next. What's wrong with different uniforms for different regions like the good old days (Those too young to remember this see here ). Or is saving money in kit procurement more impotant than saving soldiers lives? (rhetorical question - no need to answer as we all know Gordon Browns answer to this <_< )

That said, I do have a SAS smock thingy in MC which has both buttons and Velcro and it's kind of rakish.
If yours is the same as mine (and I'm pretty sure it was you who told me where to get mine from) they're bloody warm too, not to mention highly practical - got more pockets than I know what to do with, pit zips, stowable hood...
And we all know how that ended up? ;)

The best part of nine disappointing hours? When something more than fishing rights crosses my desk I'll take an interest ;)

Forgot you got one of those smocks too - Think I'll dust mine off and give it an outing!

Anyhoo - now we have the new MTP pattern when will we be seeing new armour webbing etc in it?

Ahh the good old days of Tropics

I remember getting rifted of a WO2 from the RGJ in Bosnia, because i was walking through Banja Luka Metal Factory wearing a set of Trops and not C95's. It was the middle of summer and I still to this day don't know why he *badger*ed me, there was more than just me in them LOL

Interesting and informative article: http://www.wired-gov.net/wg/wg-news-1.nsf/...F5?OpenDocument

And it looks like Red5 isn't the only miltary fashionista:

And yes I know that style isn't important to the MOD or most real soldiers. I am however long out of uniform and like to cut a dash...

Lt Col Toby Evans, military advisor, Dstl, adds: "The detailed tests and trials looked at everything from how easy is it to spot these camouflages in different terrains and backgrounds to simply asking the soldiers who helped on the trial, which one do you like best and would feel happy wearing?

do you know what really pi**es me off is they are willing to waste a load of money on new cam when dpm works ok and they have loads of this in stores allready . what about new helos and armoured vehicles, decent body armour, better weapons , decent accomodation and payouts for injured and kia troops . am i missing something here folks

I just hope they redesign the pocket layout and velcro etc. *some one mentioned this a few pages back* and I think it will make a difference to the shirt. Breast pockets with armour on over the top = useless IMO but with pockets on arms = win IMO.

Plus can we have mandarin collars purleease!

Will be sad to see DPM go...if it ever does!

Problem is DDPM and DPM don't work perfectly.

This new camo will never put soldiers in the situation where their camo is actually making life dangerious as it is not specific enough to make you really stand out in most situations.

Its why Multicam is so good, its good in just about every situation. Sure, in Europe there is a fair argument that Flecktarn and DPM works better. Also in parts of the desert, DDPM or Tri Desert works better. However, cross over into the green zone in the wrong camo and suddenly you stick out like a sore thumb.

This will be cheaper in the long run as there will be one camo for several roles as well as making life safer for our troops.

Yes there are many other items desperatly needed, but this can only help.

You could say Multicam based camo is a jack of all trades and master of none, however, note what the SAS are using... those lads do this for a reason. This new camo looks like a really good idea for once. Bravo I say! Bravo.

For you people wondering about the cut of the gear:

The first run is in the current soldier 95 pattern, it is literally the same clothing being cut from different coloured cloth. In 2011 when PECOC comes online, it will swap to the new cut kit, ie mandarin collars, pockets on sleeves etc.

At least thats the plan currently.

I get my MTP issued on the 4th January! :)

Darkchild

Archived