Reusing BB's; why & why NOT

jotohomomoto

I did a few searches on re-using bb's but couldn't find a clear answer to my specific questions. I understand the importance of using precision, high-quality bb's. I also understand why one should not re-use bb's that have been shot outside and land in the dirt, and bb's that have hit a hard backstop (at least, I think I do).

I usually do NOT re-use bb's but I see that my supply is running low and so are my funds. I shoot mostly in my house (in one particular room) and the bb's accumulate there. The backstop is a pillow and sometimes I don't even use a "reactive" target (shooting reactive targets leaves a residue on the bb's).

NOW, why would I not want to re-use bb's that were shot at the pillow, indoors, without a reactive target? In other words, a bb that is clean and at a lower risk of breaking up. :mellow:

Does something happen to the bb when it is cycled through the gun that compromises its integrity? Is there a difference in how bb's are affected when shot through AEG's, GBB's or springers? IF bb's can be re-used, is there a limit to the amount of times they can be shot?

Now I know these questions are blasphemous to some ;) but unfortunately I find myself questioning my faith in this long established rule. :huh:

Confession: Yes, I have re-used bb's (sigh) through a GBB that meet the aforementioned criteria and have had nothing but good results. I realize it could just be a matter of time before some catastrophic failure but thats why I am seeking advice. Telling me to "Just Say No", will not help, so don't bother, Nancy. I seek information and not dogma (sorry to make this thread religious overtones :rolleyes: ).

HARM REDUCTION would be the theme here. I realize that its advisable NOT to re-use bb's but if one insists then what are the best harm reduction measures.

Personally, I wash, dry and inspect each bb before recycling them.

Thanks in advance! :D

The principle is simple. Damaged bb's or dirty bb's will cause excessive wear and or damage to your gun parts, especially the hop rubber.

If you are shooting the bb's into a soft target like a pillow and inspect them carefully. Hey, I don't really see that being a problem.

I am very much of the school of if its been fired or dropped, its not going in my AEG. Simply because bb's are not that expensive and repairs to a gun can be.

My carpet bb's go in the hover. Not in my AEG.

NOW, why would I not want to re-use bb's that were shot at the pillow, indoors, without a reactive target? In other words, a bb that is clean and at a lower risk of breaking up. :mellow:

Does something happen to the bb when it is cycled through the gun that compromises its integrity? Is there a difference in how bb's are affected when shot through AEG's, GBB's or springers? IF bb's can be re-used, is there a limit to the amount of times they can be shot?

Personally, I wash, dry and inspect each bb before recycling them.

Thanks in advance! :D

I think under these circumstances, you should be fine. The worse thing could be that the bb's will become deformed & misfeed or jam in the barrel.

Give it a go & let us know how you do.

Greg.

Along with what others said, high quality BBs come from the factory with a silicone film (That's why they feel slick) and when you reuse them the film comes off. When this happens, you risk damaging the bucking as well as the hop up unit. Will it happen? Maybe but if you have a warranty and the retailer some how finds out you reused bbs, it may void it.

If you have to reuse BBs, at least lubricate them before using them. A light amount of 100% silicone oil should be fine.

Along with what others said, high quality BBs come from the factory with a silicone film (That's why they feel slick) and when you reuse them the film comes off. When this happens, you risk damaging the bucking as well as the hop up unit. Will it happen? Maybe but if you have a warranty and the retailer some how finds out you reused bbs, it may void it.

If you have to reuse BBs, at least lubricate them before using them. A light amount of 100% silicone oil should be fine.

which then negates the hopup because the rubber will not be able to get much of a grip on the bb...

BBs are fire and forget ammunition.

Urban, not really. Indoors, the BBs are FAR more likely to deform due to hard surfaces... in woods, they get covered in ######.

Don't reuse BBs unless you're putting them in grenades and they've been caught in a trap of some kind.

Urban, not really. Indoors, the BBs are FAR more likely to deform due to hard surfaces... in woods, they get covered in ######.

Don't reuse BBs unless you're putting them in grenades and they've been caught in a trap of some kind.

No no I was refering to the hop spin :) At 30ft shooting a pillow case.

You can fire a bb and it looks fine but it could have a crack in it that could cause it to explode the next time you try to fire it. Causing more damage possibley ripping your bucking or causing Gearbox damage (If it's an AEG).

If i drop it or use it i forget about it. a 11$ Bag of BB's is better then a 20$ Bucking or 20$ + Parts

If you shoot into a pillow the first one will be fine, subsequent bbs might hit the ones in the pillow and smash.

It's more trouble than it's worth.

I agree 100%, I have seen this happen, even if they dont crack they will hit each other and I am sure a bb ounts as a hard surface if hit by another bb

After firing them through my 1911A1 the ones i pick up are put in a bag and used as claymore / m203 ammo.

After going once through my well lubed and 6.03mm barreled gun i don't put them back through it.

But considering a bag on .2's isn't that expensive it is fire and forget ammo.

Though i use .3's at £5 per 1000 so i at least want more than one use out of them.

'FireKnife'

Archived