ARES G36 vs CA G36

Cosmitz

I own 3 SRC gen III Replicas (An Xm8, a G36E and a Armalite-bastardized Ak). If you haven't notice it already, I'm from Argentina (South America, just in case xD) and, after sending countless e-mails to retailer all over the world I end up contacting the factory directly and explaining to them that no retailer was willing to send the replicas to my country. Well, they seemed to understand my situation and agreed to send the replicas (one at the time because of a weight limitation).

They kind of rape my *albatross* with shipping cost (EMS) and couldn't pay with paypall (only bank transfer, which is 25U$S per transaction).

Only the Xm8 arrived in the original box; the G36 came in a plain brown box and the Ak in the G36 box (I still can't find a reasonable explanation for that).

The Ak came with charging handle broken and many parts misfitted (loosen screws, gas-block plate was backwards, etc). The original charging plate was black, so, I took the opportunity to swap it for a silverish one (cyma I think, I can't quite remember now) and it looks way better (a nice change of tones).

The G36 had the selector plate broken, I emailed them about it and they immediately offer me to send me one with the next replica free of charge.

The Xm8 had no hop-up nub, I email them about that too and the missing part arrived with the next replica.

The eye relief on the G36 scope kind of sucks (surprisingly, the Xm8 scope is pretty good), I suggest you to get the low-carrying handle version (G36E2).

My English is worst than usual today, I'll end this post now. Try contacting SRC directly, here is a link to the site

http://www.starrainbow.com.tw/

And they e-mail I used to contact them

service@starrainbow.com.tw

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I apologize for continuing this line of discussion, but.

It seems like a good part of your complaint is that you did not like the Tavor design as much as you thought you would, which makes you suggest that they're overpriced because the design has drop a couple points of worth in your eyes. On a related note, well I agree that the MARS' performance was very underwhelming, I think it's a bit silly how people reduce the Tavor design to its optics. Last time I check, people bought guns to mount optics, not the other way around.

As for the price criticism, I don't know what the expectations for a good gun is anymore. Instead of treating people like dumb cashcows, maybe people are just getting greedier. People always want to pay less for more, and the Chinese clones generation has not helped. I just know that I would personally be fine with the price ARES is charging for its Tavor. It's a very hefty weapon, people I know who've handled the ARES version and the real steel Tavor were completely impressed with the ARES.

Considering that ARES went into the Tavor project with no competition, it actually says a lot about the company that they produced something as good as they did. The fact that there were issues is to be expected with a completely new design. After all, even many of the vaunted TM original designs took a little time to work out (or at least identify) the bugs (Hi-Capa losing rear sights, P226 gas inefficiency, old M4A1 barrel design, version 3 mechbox trigger lockup, etc). Perfection out of the box from item 0000001 is unrealistic, that's why there are warranties.

I'm not a fan of bullpups, so I'm not interested in owning a Tavor at all. However, that doesn't stop me from recognizing that it's well made gun, even if it has no competition right now.

I expect the new Umarex / ARES G36 to be even better. It's what I'm saving up for.

Eh, I don't know how it stacks up against actual TAR21s, but if the realsteel TAR21s are comparable to the ARES TAR21 then I have to say I am sadly not very impressed with the real deal either.

Lets not forget that while people DO buy optics to attach to guns, I seem to remember that one of the big "deal" about the gun during ARES's pre-release hyping up of it was the MARS sight. I don't think its silly if someone sells you something based on the usual selling points plus a couple of unique selling points and one of those unique selling points turns out to be a massive disappointment. I think it's a bit silly people conveniently forget that. And certainly NOT at the price they charge. Now, if they're more reasonable, and retail it for say... 280 to 350 USD, I'd consider that just on the limit of reasonable. Almost 500 USD?! You're joking right? Plus, and this is the important bit, have you seen the price difference between the railed TAR21 and the one with the MARS sight? 100 USD difference. Is a piece of non-functioning over-hyped junk worth 100 USD? You expect me to believe it does? Really? You don't think it's a bit silly that? Good for you then, you must have lots of money to throw away. Want to adopt a god-daughter?

At best, the ARES TAR21 is an average gun, at a stretch maybe even decently made. Given the out-of-box breakage rate, it is rather unexpected for a 500 USD gun. I can expect a 100 USD clone to have that sort of out-of-box breakage rate, not a 500 USD gun. As for design.... A 100 USD difference for THAT badly designed MARS sight that is actually less usable than the sort of cheap plastic "red cross" sights that come with $20 plastic springers... Who's being greedy here really?

As for the ARES G36, theres already a review out. From reading it, it seems to be decent at least, but not without its cons. However, the fact that it retailed for 120 USD, I can completely justify it having niggles and minus points. That seems to be ARES deciding to be sensible for once.

Personally, from owning 3 CA's and manhandling my friends SRC many a time, I'd ay the Gen II SRCs to be below the CA's, but the GEN III's might be better. People are raving about them. But I have had no issues in my CA's, over all the years Ive owned them, that I didnt cause myself(stupid DMR project)

A side by side test of several G36s might be interesting.

ARES, SRC, TM, CA, heck even JG.

Put price aside, and compare them objectively first, then bring price back into consideration. I think it'd make for a very interesting and maybe essential read for anyone wanting to get a G36.

I've found a SRC vs JG side by side which favored the SRC in the equation, think it was Gen2. Anyhows, from all the vs's and reviews i've read over the past weeks, seems it's something like SRC G3>Ares>CA>SRC G2>TM>JG, quality-wise. I'm not saying a TM G36 is a bad gun or that the SRC G2 sucks.. just that in the overall general feel of things, that's what i gathered from the weeks of research.

As for my situation, found the name of the rebrand of SRC in Europe, STTi. And with that, i've found the SRC/STTi Gen 3 MG36 at around 260 pounds.. enough said, it's already on its way here. :D

I've found a SRC vs JG side by side which favored the SRC in the equation, think it was Gen2. Anyhows, from all the vs's and reviews i've read over the past weeks, seems it's something like SRC G3>Ares>CA>SRC G2>TM>JG, quality-wise. I'm not saying a TM G36 is a bad gun or that the SRC G2 sucks.. just that in the overall general feel of things, that's what i gathered from the weeks of research.

As for my situation, found the name of the rebrand of SRC in Europe, STTi. And with that, i've found the SRC/STTi Gen 3 MG36 at around 260 pounds.. enough said, it's already on its way here. :D

The comparison you are talking about is from the Airsoftforum's forum (:P) and it is between the SRC Gen 2 and the latest 7mm ball bearing JG. AS you said, the author favored the SRC, even being a Gen II.

The comparison you are talking about is from the Airsoftforum's forum (:P) and it is between the SRC Gen 2 and the latest 7mm ball bearing JG. AS you said, the author favored the SRC, even being a Gen II.

That same review is posted here as well in the "Reader's Review" section and is a dang good review, but his Gen 2 was not the same as my Gen 2 which was a bit confusing. His has the black plastic piston where as mine was SRC's newer Green piston which from what I can tell is a bit better than the old ones. Maybe mine was of a newer batch of Gen II's and his was an older, that certainly would explain the majority sentiment that the Gen II's are "ok" and what not.

I'm with Abelius though, no way I'd ever rate CA higher than a Gen II SRC. The CA I handled in person was a joke considering the price they wanted for it. This is circa 2007 in the "hayday" of CA AEG's (more like the downfall) and this CA was brand spanking new and wobbled and creaked like crazy. My SRC doesnt do that unless you really stress the parts out of spec.

Each to his own however. Opinions are Opinions for a reason :)

Huh? How?

I have a TM and a JG gas block in each of my G36s now, I don't see the difference?

It has the fuse that clips onto the side of the gas block, and the screw that holds the wires down. Maybe Im thinking of the SRC. I think so. Either way, its ridiculous trying to get a battery in there. Ive gotten quite good at putting batteries in G36s, and I simply could not do it on that SRC. I tried for a half hour and just said *fruitcage* it.

He's jsut biased about the CA36 series like I am... :)

But in an opposite way. Good times in several threads this far. :D

I am. I absolutely love my CAs G36s. All 3 of them. But even I can admit the specs on the Gen III SRCs are quite impressive. Now, I like CAs, Abelius and UrPeaceKeeper dont. Its obvious we aren't going to convince each other, so we can only share our stories and opinions to try to help others. I see no reason to get into another debate with you wankers about it hahaha.

I think the SRC's that airsoft world are selling currently, are gen II, so i am told the gen III will be in stock in the next couple of weeks. Personally i would go for the KWA over all of them. Airsoft world now stock these too, although they are a little more expensive, from experience they are worth it!

QUOTE (hugh_b @ Feb 22 2010, 04:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the SRC's that airsoft world are selling currently, are gen II, so i am told the gen III will be in stock in the next couple of weeks. Personally i would go for the KWA over all of them. Airsoft world now stock these too, although they are a little more expensive, from experience they are worth it!

External-wise, they are quite disappointing. The internals look great, but do we really need all that for a G36c? I mean, you won't have it shooting over 400FPS.

• 2 weeks later...
External-wise, they are quite disappointing. The internals look great, but do we really need all that for a G36c? I mean, you won't have it shooting over 400FPS.

I've always thought the kwa's had excellent externals myself. Always seemed very solid/strong and well fitting. Materials felt quite good too. (i've had 2 and a friend has had one)

Archived