Mobile Phone Geeks; HTC HD2 or iPhone 3GS

mattmanic

Alot of ya mention something as simple as dropping it in the loo etc.

So, none of these also come under?;

Moisture

Condensation

Rain

Sweat (I've had one phone come back because of that)

Heat

Cold

Snow

Yeap, it's a long list alright.

As for the Apple Iphone, that's complete nonsense, you can tell a bullsh*tter who says "I haven't dropped my phone or etc etc etc" when the evidence is clearly contrary.

So if that's it's moisture sensor then there's an easy way getting it repaired under warranty if you drop it in water. Just change the battery. I can't imagine they wouldn't've thought of that though.

So the internal components aren't going to be water damaged? Moment those indicators go red, it's a warrenty write off. ;)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So the internal components aren't going to be water damaged? Moment those indicators go red, it's a warrenty write off. ;)

I think that's what iPhone owners are bleating about.

The sensors are in places where they're likely to get wet in normal day-to-day use that doesn't cause damage to the phone.

People speculate that there's not an iPhone out there, more than a few months old, that doesn't have a saturated water sensor.

Course, I suppose one could argue that getting water on the docking connector might damage the phone.

Seems there are lots of people with fully-functional iPhones that already have triggered sensors though.

I think that's what iPhone owners are bleating about.

The sensors are in places where they're likely to get wet in normal day-to-day use that doesn't cause damage to the phone.

People speculate that there's not an iPhone out there, more than a few months old, that doesn't have a saturated water sensor.

Course, I suppose one could argue that getting water on the docking connector might damage the phone.

Seems there are lots of people with fully-functional iPhones that already have triggered sensors though.

Indeed, however i've had customers with Iphones who complain about the phone not working.

When i look at the sensors, and then the connectors (You really can't look at much on them) there's usually a tell tale sign of corrosion on the connector. That's when i know if i've got a genuine case or not.

Though if a new Iphone comes out, i'm awaiting the number of Fraudelant Iphone claims. :(

Though if a new Iphone comes out, i'm awaiting the number of Fraudelant Iphone claims. :(

Heh,

With an attitude like that I bet you can sympathise with a lot of airsoft retailers who refuse to give refunds. :P

Seriously, no offence intended, working in a business where you get to see obvious trends of people sabotaging stuff so they can get a refund and buy an upgrade it must be very hard to remain objective.

After the 5th person returned a "faulty" iPhone in one day, and asked for a refund, a week after a new iPhone gets released I think I'd find it hard to stop myself from screaming at them "DO YOU THINK I'M A F**KING IDIOT???!!!" etc. :D

Heh,

With an attitude like that I bet you can sympathise with a lot of airsoft retailers who refuse to give refunds. :P

Seriously, no offence intended, working in a business where you get to see obvious trends of people sabotaging stuff so they can get a refund and buy an upgrade it must be very hard to remain objective.

After the 5th person returned a "faulty" iPhone in one day, and asked for a refund, a week after a new iPhone gets released I think I'd find it hard to stop myself from screaming at them "DO YOU THINK I'M A F**KING IDIOT???!!!" etc. :D

Agreed, I got a chain-mail a few months ago describing how to get a ver3, if I had a ver2, just by insuring & smashing the screen. This can't be repaired & at that point they didn't have any more ver 2's so had to give out ver 3's.

Thus the 'smashing' upgrade service!

Funny thing is, I never even had an iffyfone.

One of my more dubious mates followed this up, thieving barsterd & sure enough, got a ver 3 for smashing the screen on his ver 2.

The irony was that he forgot all about it until the delivery guy turned up, saying he could only deliver the new one in exchange for the broken old one. He then had to stall the guy, while he smashed the screen in. Turned out to be a tough ask, taking 20 mins, several hammers & eventually a center punch. :huh:

I hate insurance fraud. Selfish bastereds make a quick buck but this pushes the price up for everyone next year. :(

Greg.

In the interests of science (plus am slightly bored and have access to

tools) - just had a look in my iPhone. Both the dock connector and headphone port sensors are

purty pure white. There's a couple under the screen too, apparently. Prior to it's incarceration inside an otterbox, this iPhone has done 18 months hard labour, been spilt on, used in rain etc., in the uk weather, and been ski-ing on a really horrible day where it rained slush too. I don't consider that they'll go red at the drop of a hat. I haven't taken it into a Turkish bath, maybe that would do it.

The irony was that he forgot all about it until the delivery guy turned up, saying he could only deliver the new one in exchange for the broken old one. He then had to stall the guy, while he smashed the screen in. Turned out to be a tough ask, taking 20 mins, several hammers & eventually a center punch. :huh:

Well, that's good news for me, I guess, given that I've just bought an iPhone after the screen broke on my HTC Touch for no apparent reason.

In the interests of science (plus am slightly bored and have access to

tools) - just had a look in my iPhone. Both the dock connector and headphone port sensors are

purty pure white.

Mines in one of the rubber Otterbox protector things (e.g. not waterproof at all) and hasn't changed either and I've not been careful to avoid moisture to the point of it coming back from a days backcountry skiing pretty sodden.

Good to know.

I'm still awaiting delivery of mine and, from what I'd been reading on t'interweb, it seemed as though the one ongoing issue was related to those sensors turning red very easily.

Mines in one of the rubber Otterbox protector things (e.g. not waterproof at all) and hasn't changed either and I've not been careful to avoid moisture to the point of it coming back from a days backcountry skiing pretty sodden.

Heh,

:D :D

Most customers seem to think that. Alas our Company does a no-refund policy regardless. So you're pretty much hitting nail on head there.

Well, that's good news for me, I guess, given that I've just bought an iPhone after the screen broke on my HTC Touch for no apparent reason.

It will take a load more than 'no apparent reason'.

According to 'Ian, the thieving insurance fraudster', as we like to call him, he started off by hitting it on the table, then the corner of a metal tool box & when the ball of a 24oz hammer didn't do it, it went for the center punch!!!!

It all seemed a bit far fetched to me but he had no reason to lie,,,,,,,,,, other than being a fraudulent, lying, thief! :D

Greg.

Archived