Mobile Phone Geeks; HTC HD2 or iPhone 3GS

mattmanic

Hey, I'm due for an upgrade on my HTC HD so I went to the phone shop today and asked what they could get me. They said I could have either the HD2 or the 3GS without paying any more. Although I was considering just waiting it out for the HD3 which'll be out in september with Windows Phone 7...

Opinions please. :)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got to use the HD2 today and it's massive. It's like my current phone but bigger and faster but thinner too. It's really nice, the only think I'm slightly torn over is the lack of especially well made or useful apps compared to Android or iPhone OS.

Here's a size comparison, shows off the epic screen on the HD2:

htc-hd2-comparison-01.jpg

It's £35 a month right now(600 minutes, unl. text, unl. internet), and they'll be putting me on a contract for £35 a month still but with more minutes(1200). Although I'd much rather be on a cheaper tariff with 300 minutes and 500ish texts. I never use more than that.

I may talk to them about downgrading my tariff at the same time as upgrading the phone although I'm not sure they'll be too happy about giving me a £500 phone and getting less money from me.

EDIT: I forgot to ask when I was at the shop but does anyone know if upgrading my phone will extend my contract? I still have 5 months left on it.

EDIT: I forgot to ask when I was at the shop but does anyone know if upgrading my phone will extend my contract? I still have 5 months left on it.

Orange will normally allow you upgrade 1 month before your contract is up, but to get the latest phone free you will probably have to sign up to a 18 or 24 month contract.

Elliot.

Well it's Windows Mobile apps I need to be considering, I was just using Android as an example. I will probably go for the HD2, I've lived with windows mobile for over a year I've grown quite attached to it now... I'm not sure how I'd feel about having a phone with an OS that I can't change or modify.

You would be mad to get an iPhone now imo as the new one will probably be out June/July or so. How well it will compare to the latest smart phones is anyones guess though. But I suppose thats irrelevant as people will still buy it regardlessly.

Not too sure by what you mean by HD3 (i.e. you like WM7?). I've been an iPhone user for the past 2 yrs and am a little tired of Apple's iApp/anti-jailbreak policies. Seriously considering Android but with HD2 specs - therefore, I'm waiting for the HTC Supersonic.

Not too sure by what you mean by HD3 (i.e. you like WM7?). I've been an iPhone user for the past 2 yrs and am a little tired of Apple's iApp/anti-jailbreak policies. Seriously considering Android but with HD2 specs - therefore, I'm waiting for the HTC Supersonic.

Yes I do mean the WM7 version of the HD2. Although I can just upgrade the OS when 7 comes out, the HD3 will be faster than the HD2...

Can you not just buy a HD2 and flash Android to it?

i'd personally go for the iphone, if only because of it's superior app support. the android app store seems very anorexic.

have you ever looked at the android 'app store'? it takes the best part of two hours just to brose half of one catergory (of which there EIGHTEEN!)

oh. And android has google goggles. :D

Yes I do mean the WM7 version of the HD2. Although I can just upgrade the OS when 7 comes out, the HD3 will be faster than the HD2...

Can you not just buy a HD2 and flash Android to it?

You can but with quite a bit of work. Check out XDA-Developers for more info. Not really worth the trouble. I'm not sold on WM after a horrible WM6/6.5 intro. Maybe I got into WM too early few years back. WM7's a big step up but I'm still not convinced.

Android 2.1 on either the HTC Supersonic or Sony Ericsson's Xperia X10 OTOH is interesting.

have you ever looked at the android 'app store'? it takes the best part of two hours just to brose half of one catergory (of which there EIGHTEEN!)

oh. And android has google goggles. :D

my bad, didnt realise the full catalogue was only available on the phone. i was looking at the online one.

Went back to the phone shop. If I was to reduce my contract to a number of minutes and texts I would actually use the phone will be £300... And also, I was offered a reduction on the iPhone. £30 a month with the phone for free and unlimited Internet. Although I do really like the HD2.

Archived