Gun License Woes

bankz5152

My .22 is kept at my grandparents house (next door) in the cabinet. Its a marlin 22 with box magazine (holds 8 iirc)and its got a fitted suppressor and I've got a telescopic sight, its pretty nifty. My favorite shotgun is my poachers 4.10, you can fold it in half which is pretty cool.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yep, you can buy a .22 rimfire armalite style gun, on a firearms licence. you may (most likely) need to join a club though, go through usually 6 months of 'probation' to prove your keen-ness, and then apply for your ticket.

best have a look and see what clubs are near you, and give them a bell. they will be far more knowledgeable than i :)

Just a final heads up from me, after being told my licence would probably arrive in the new year, it dropped through the door yesterday, which makes it 4 weeks exactly from the day I posted the application to me getting it.

As a result, I took myself shopping today, and bought a lovely new beretta!

I've been tempted to get into long distance target shooting for a while now but a lack of transport to get to a shooting site, time and money has been stopping me. Although a promise of a promotion and payrise next month may mean that I can get to a rifle range to give it a try and see if it's my thing before I commit to anything. I'm also drawn to the .22LR Semi's like the MP5 clone and AR's.

The only thing I'm worried about is being disappointed by the low caliber. For the last few years I've been shooting 5.56 and 7.62 in semi and full auto. Is it like going from something going 'bang' to something going 'pop'?

Josh

as you said, long distance shooting can get rather expensive.

as for .22, yes, they do come across as 'pop guns', but i think they are still fun to shoot. i used to shoot them at competition level with my schools' shooting club, along with 5.56. we shot .22 at 25 metres, and 5.56 to 300.

i considered .22 similar to long range, large calibre shooting, but scaled down. you still need tha same disciplines, but its over 30 metres instead of 600+.

give it a whirl, it is fun, and if you like it, you can 'upgrade' to big boy calibres!

as for the mp5/AR style semi auto .22, i have no experience. but they do look fun!

Where have you been shooting 5.56 & 7.62s?

Over in Orlando, Florida at my dad's place. I've fired M16A2, AK47, Glock 17 (9mm) & 21 (.45ACP), as well as a few others.

as for .22, yes, they do come across as 'pop guns', but i think they are still fun to shoot. i used to shoot them at competition level with my schools' shooting club, along with 5.56. we shot .22 at 25 metres, and 5.56 to 300...

...as for the mp5/AR style semi auto .22, i have no experience. but they do look fun!

Well if I do go down the firearm route then I prob would start off with a .22LR for plinking down the range. The rounds are cheap enough and as with all AR's and MP5's theres plenty of accessories to bolt on :P

Josh

as for bolt-on bits, look into that. some specs may be off, as they are not 'true' AR's (or smg).

AFAIK the MP5 .22LR is made by Walther under licence from H&K (see link below), so the parts should fit.

http://www.hk22rimfire.com/index.php?page=mp5-a5

Hmm I've just noticed they make a HK416 :D

Josh

ooh!

general consensus is not to fit the cabinet until the visit, and talk to him/her on your thougts and reasons for placement, and how you will fix it.

if youre super sure, mount it now and hope its up to scratch, as moving it will be a pain.

i didnt mount mine until after the visit, and called my FEO up when i had done it, and he came round the next day to inspect. but, judging by how they seem to drag their feet down your way, it may be quicker to gamble and mount it now.

also, dont let them convince you neet secure storage for shotty ammo, you dont. its just firearms ammo you need separate secure storage for :)

I know about the ammo part! Friend has alot of rifles, shotguns and what ever else there is to buy!

Was only going to buy the cabinets, but not install untill the visit. Just so it can all be done ASAP, this way I can hopefully have the cabinets installed by Tuesday afternoon/Wednesday.

Just want it all done ASAP so I can get off shooting a much more, sick of the rental guns. Very stiff and they are not mine! lol

After look at all the .22 replicas and the beauty of the Remington 700 .243/.308 with an AICS stock :D I must get a firearms licence later this year!

Also on a side note I was looking into pump action shotguns such as the Moss 500 & Benelli M3 S90 but can they be bought on a standard shotgun licence or do they require a firearms licence?

sorry to sound patronising on the ammo part, was just bringing up a point raised by some people i know :)

as for buying a pump or semi auto shotty, you can get one on an SGC, but they cannot be more than 3 shot total (2 in the magazine and one in the chamber), and not have a detachable magazine (for example a saiga 12). you can get most bigger capacity magazine shotguns, but they usually have the mag tube crimped so it shouldnt hold more than 2 rounds.

any more capacity, and you will need your FAC :)

• 4 weeks later...

One step closer!

Firearms officer came round again to check the cabinets security and all was well.

According to him its being sent off Monday and should be done within 3 weeks.

I must say im very happy, finally going rather smoothly, everything should be all done in time for the next season.

BTW When is the start of the next season?

the glorious 12th!

grouse/snipe on the 12 of august, partridge, duck and goose on the 1st september, pheasant/woodcock 1st of october.

these are for the UK, and may be subject to change without notice from me :P

get loads of clays in before the start, and also get some woodpigeon and corvids done so your eye is well and truly in for next season :)

im practicing already. recently blew through 250 clay cartridges in an hour and a half...

Gratz on the certs gents, a mate of mine is taking me to his club in a few weeks to check out some long distance shooting, something I really want to get into (he laughs at airsoft :angry: )

A quick question though, I read through the FA Act, and from what I could gather, you are allowed bolt action rifles of any calibre?

So does that mean I can go and buy a AMP DSR-1 if I get a FA Cert or am I being stupid :withstupid:

Well yes, but certain firearms are not aloud because they arnt 'civillian enough' well thats how i describe it.

EG - Even though a full stocked spas 12 is the correct length, pump action and 12G but not aloud here..

I was looking into getting a Rem 700 with AICS stock which is basically an L96!

Archived