A dark and sinister development in my airsofting ...

boris the pict

It all started as 'I can't be chuffed schlepping all the way back to my car for my lunch ...' which meant I would carry my scran in a pouch.

Then it rained for a few game days on the trot, so a pouch got added for the wet weather gear ...

Then I went to my first Catterick game in the autumn so a pouch got added for some cold weather kit ...

Then I made the mistake of asking the in house cook at Catterick if I could fill my water bottle ... add a 3 litre camel pack ...

But recently I recently noticed that i am now adding bits with the aim of carrying a full 48hr load ...

So I currently carry:

1 x team First aid kit.

1 x canteen / cup / cooker.

48hr worth of scran.

1 x 3 litre camel pack.

1 x radio pouch with spare batteries, and h250 handset.

1 x pyro pouch.

1 x holster.

1 x admin pouch.

9 x ammo pouches (mid caps).

full set of ESAPI plates (fighting the urgh to fill with sand to the correct weight...).

1 x assault pack with poncho, wooly pully, Gore-Tex, kip mat, afghan trousers and jacket, spare socks and undercrackers, bog roll, hand cleaning gel, spare batteries, bbs, nvg ...

Enough? you'd think so ...

but no I'm, hankering after an e-tool and pouch ...

Am I the only person who as suffered this creep in loadout??? does anyone else go for this kind of extremism?

p.s. btw i do have and use a high speed low drag loadout as well, and yes I am as mad as a bucket of frogs given that I am a secondary school teacher I’d have to be ...

hmm... i don't get urges to make my loadouts last longer. mostly because of the fact that airsoft in HK is more speedball-ish so rounds are only about 15 minutes long.

however i do usually have the urge to get more and more stuff although i don't always indulge that. its just human nature i guess.

For all that, get a big bergen (100L) and a big day sack (about 30L plus).

Then you could set it up like this:

WEBBING CONTENTS:

- Ammo

- Grenades

- Comms

- Sidearm

- Spare battery

- Weapon maintenance kit

- Water

- Food

- Socks and foot powder

- Medical kit

- Model kit (for milsim only)

- Spare boot laces (these are often overlooked but you're *fruitcage*ed if you need them and don't have them!)

DAY SACK:

- Warm kit

- Gore-Tex jacket (and trousers if you're fussed)

- NVGs

- More ammunition

- More batteries (for weapons and radio)

- More water

- More food

BERGEN:

- Bergen liner or 2x bin bags

- Sleeping bag

- Bivvy bag

- Poncho and bungees

- Kip mat

- Wash kit

- Spare combats to wear at night

- Socks and underwear

- More food

- More ammo

- More batteries

This is roughly the maximum load I would carry for airsoft. You simply cannot need anything more than this.

Carry the webbing and day sack. Leave the bergen in your harbour area.

Just think, "Do I really need to go into an advance to contact carrying a poncho and kip mat when I could have swapped that for more ammo?"

Yea personally I lie on the other side of that dakr line .. like some kind of anorexic version of your kit :P. I am currently trying to put together a good belt rig so i don't have anything beyond the belt and maybe a drop leg .. though this is all for CQB and sunday skirmish type days .. wouldn't work in a full on milsim.

Question is, are you actually playing 48hrs? And what temperature?

The amount of gear you are carrying would be "just" enough for 48hrs. I would be safe and carry what signal319 has suggested with a Bergen + daypack with the wet gear and sleeping gear.

In a >4hr scenario game I would carry enough for 24hrs, but no more.

WEBBING CONTENTS:

- Mags

- Grenades

- Ammo in small bags

- Comms

- Sidearm

- Cam paint

- Spare battery

- Weapon maintenance kit

- Water 2 canteens

- Food (last half day)

- Model kit

- Pocket knife

- Compass

- Map

- 10m of Nylon shoelace/string

- Poncho

DAY SACK:

- Warm jacket

- Spare Weapon - PDW class

- Spare comms

- Spare ammo, gas

- booby traps

- More water 2-3L

- More food

Extending that to 48hrs, I would have the Bergen/ALICE pack, with

- Pack liner

- Sleeping bag

- Bivvy bag

- Hoochie/pup tent

- Kip mat/foam mat

- Spare combats to wear at night

- Socks and underwear

- More food (2X 24hr ration pack or 1X 12 pack of mini snickers)

- More water

- More ammo

- More gas/batteries

- Gas Cooker

- Foot powder

- E-tool

- Bog roll

- Depending on terrain - thermal inners, beanie, snow gloves.

A fighting load is exactly what it says on the tin. There is simply no requirement to carry into contact your sleeping gear and all that sort of stuff with you, because there is no requirement for its usage at that stage.

Put all that into the bergen and leave it in your harbour area. Take with you the things that you need in the immediate and short-term. Immediate means weapons, ammunition and cleaning kits, grenades, comms, water and whatever else you need to achieve your objective. Short term stuff is wet weather kit and a couple of warm layers, and some food and spare socks.

You say you're after an e-tool and pouch - when in airsoft do you find yourself digging in? Pointless.

A 48 hour "fighting load" does not exist.

No I think you missed a post I have a fighting load of ammo pyro comms first aid and water. The patrol load is in the assault pack which gets dumped on contact.

Generally I play a full day but I justify it as practice for when I do a weekends 3 or 4 times a year and this is cumbrian weather so everything.g mixed in with a half life of 10 mins ...

Personaly I think I'd find all that kit a little excessive, but then again I like to keep things light and I just play normal sunday walk on type games. If your not carrying anything you shouldn't (eg I know some sites don't allow players to carry knives or bladed tools in the playing area) then anyone who tells you what you can and cannot carry should be told where to go

I guess you go by the rule of it's better to have it and need it than not have it and need it, so if it works for you then go for it

You say you're after an e-tool and pouch - when in airsoft do you find yourself digging in? Pointless.

It depends where you are playing. I've been to atleast 2 games where digging in was an option, and a further one where large pyro had to be partially buried and detonated. Ever tried either of those with a racing spoon?

I can confidently say that I have played more 2 day games than anyone else, anywhere:)

I carry as little as possible. I split equipment into 2 loads; day and night kit. I have various load bearing equipment with different capacities, depending on the season/weather. I go as light as possible.

Here is an example of summer kit:

DAY KIT :

Belt kit- magazines/pellets, radio, pistol, snack food based on carb's, good savoury food, goretex jacket & trousers (if I am not already wearing them*), map, red head torch with super low batteries, lighter

3LTR Camelback

NIGHT KIT :

Day Sack- bivie jacket, sleep bag (as small as possible to suit temperature), compact sleep mat, bivie bag, tiny stove, small gas can (half full or less),enamel mug, tea bags, dehydrated meal or a tinned meal (soup etc) :) enough food to refill day kit

* If forcast is dry they will not be taken or clipped to night kit

It's not much and to be honest, I don't eat much (I see the game as an endurance event and shun luxuries).

Any time spent eating or being distracted can cost you the entire game.

Good Hunting ;)

I believe some one made an awesome graph a while back (Ckinnerly?) showing how people seem to grow in gear until they realise exactly what they need and go down to a mid point :P

See blog entry:

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=77&showentry=574

Though I feel the need to highlight that was a comical observation more than a serious analysis of all airsofters, only applies to some.

Anyway, there's certainly a knack to knowing what you need to bring along when you're living out of a rucksack, and to be honest I can think of nothing worse than spending a free weekend playing the sorts of games being described here. But, that is just me and as with many things in life, if you've been forced to do it before then you're never going to choose to do it again off your own back; for those of you who enjoy it that's great, long may it continue.

As with playing normal 9-4 type skirmish days, or even if we were discussing hill-walking or camping (the kind that doesn't involve a luxury motor-home that's got more kit inside than some houses) then the individual always learns with time and experience what they need to carry, and if you find you're loading on more stuff because of past experiences then that's only normal. The issue arises if you never drop things that you don't use, or don't take the time to optimise your gear; carrying a set of defibrilators, a neck brace, abseiling equipment, a respirator and combo pens (in case of nerve agent attack of course) is obviously going over the top. I've been on exercises and excursions where you get told 'you must have xyz' and ended up not using half of it. When I was a recruit I remember stuffing a bergen and side-pouches to the point it was, to any normal persons' definition, full, and still having a pile next to me to go in there; the first time I tried to swing it on to my back the momentum pulled me over sideways, which provided everyone else with a good laugh.

It's all educational end of the day, carry what you know you'll need, and if you never use it then stop carrying it. Making sure you have a decent quality bag to hump it all in.

I can confidently say that I have played more 2 day games than anyone else, anywhere:)

I carry as little as possible. I split equipment into 2 loads; day and night kit. I have various load bearing equipment with different capacities, depending on the season/weather. I go as light as possible.

Here is an example of summer kit:

DAY KIT :

Belt kit- magazines/pellets, radio, pistol, snack food based on carb's, good savoury food, goretex jacket & trousers (if I am not already wearing them*), map, red head torch with super low batteries, lighter

3LTR Camelback

NIGHT KIT :

Day Sack- bivie jacket, sleep bag (as small as possible to suit temperature), compact sleep mat, bivie bag, tiny stove, small gas can (half full or less),enamel mug, tea bags, dehydrated meal or a tinned meal (soup etc) :) enough food to refill day kit

* If forcast is dry they will not be taken or clipped to night kit

It's not much and to be honest, I don't eat much (I see the game as an endurance event and shun luxuries).

Any time spent eating or being distracted can cost you the entire game.

Good Hunting ;)

^ Basically this, although i don't have a night/day kit ... i sorta have your day/night kit "combined" into one and always carry around it :D . The only big difference is that i don't carry the sleeping bag/mat around and just leave it on the offgame area.

I've played quite a few 48h+ games, even abroad, and never had the need to carry the sleeping bag with me tbh, in the very few instances were i had to sleep "in game" i just switched to the parka ( that i always carry on the backpack ), snuggle myself with the gun and sleep against some tree ( if the ground is soft enough i'll just dig some very basic foxhole with the knife - if permited - and sleep there ).

Ohh and i also carry a carbine conversion kit for the G17 attached to the backpack. If by any chance i loose my main gun, i just slap it on the G17 and voilá, problem solved. Easy and the kit is very lightweight :P:D

Archived