Stereotypes

vorgaphe

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think its the difference of culture, you guys in the US already have a gun culture, while in my country we dont have that, and when the opportunity to have a replica of it, most people are welcoming, the media exposure did some good, people are aware that it was only a hobby, more playing fields opened up and lots of sellers selling more airsoft became available.

there are minus points tho... and its mostly the same, the usual gun haters, but thats only a small minority.

To sum it up, airsoft in my country is generally accepted as extreme sport,and more popular than paintball :D

Even on Militaryphotos.net we get trolled, flammed or whatever. I think it sucks when those wannabes look down on us, to make them feel good about themselves. Most trolls there pose as military, but they are just fat *albatross* lonely weekend shooters.

Its just sad.

Even on Militaryphotos.net we get trolled, flammed or whatever. I think it sucks when those wannabes look down on us, to make them feel good about themselves. Most trolls there pose as military, but they are just fat *albatross* lonely weekend shooters.

Its just sad.

True.

I don't care much about being stigmatised as an airsofter. We can't own firearms in the UK (no, we can't - having them tucked away in a Club miles away doesn't count) so airsoft is the closest we can get. I just tell 'em to blow it out their *albatross*. Nobs.

I never ask questions on M4Carbine.net because I'd just get grief from arrogant / thick {people}.

Its just sad.

Ohhh mp.net ... can't stand the forum! I completely scratched off that forum when a few fellow Portuguese players publicized on it about a big airsoft event held here, in a matter of a couple of posts it got completely flammed with derogatory "opinions" about airsoft and the event itself from the mp.net users.

The tipping point was when they started calling/labelling the players who participated and the organization itself as "wannabes" when most of the org. members where either still in service or were ex-military who had more combat experience and tours on their belts than most of the users of that "forum".

That forum ###### me off to no end ....

True.

We can't own firearms in the UK (no, we can't - having them tucked away in a Club miles away doesn't count)

No, actually we can and we keep them at home, quite legally... It's only full bore semis, and cartridge pistols that are forbudt to keep it simple. ;)

Well I really have never met anyone who thinks the worst about me playing airsoft. And I'm 39. My friends are all nutters anyway and we all play, some on occasions, some all the time but we all love it. My work colleagues all think I'm a nutter anyway so who cares? An interesting fact is that I'm the only one who gets asked what exciting adventures I got up to at the weekend, whether its sneaking across Dartmoor, crawling up Pen Y Fan, shooting a bunch of nutters in the woods, jumping off a viaduct on a bit of rope, climbing rock faces, diving on the south coast, off road driving, bushcrafting in the woods, kayaking in flooded meadows, doing SERE type exercises in dodgy parts of Eastern Europe, etc etc. Strangely enough, most want to come along too, especially when I show them the videos and pics of what we do. My brothers all play, my brother's GF plays, my mum is dying to give it a go and she's 60 next year. Even my dad likes the GBB pistols and his idea of small bore is his S&W .357 magnum.

As far as girlfriends are concerned, if they can't respect your hobbies and interests then they are not the girl for you. Simple. Don't change who you are for anyone. My wife did her time in the PLA and she plays with us too and is bloody good, as anyone at Ground Zero will contest who has been shot by the small Chinese girl in Swedish camo- if they've seen her at all... She likes the real firearms too, though draws the line at the Martini Henry.

So be true to yourself. If you like airsoft then who gives a damn what others think. As with anything really, it depends on HOW you tell people about things as to how they react. I'm an embalmer by day and everyone I tell that to thinks it's really cool, because of the way I tell them (told you I was weird..). My ex was a whiny teacher and she thought it was gross, so naturally when she tells her Guardian reading chums they follow her opinions and are also grossed. Except for the ones I spoke to first who thought it was cool. Odd that, eh?

No, actually we can and we keep them at home, quite legally... It's only full bore semis, and cartridge pistols that are forbudt to keep it simple. ;)

Well I really have never met anyone who thinks the worst about me playing airsoft. And I'm 39. My friends are all nutters anyway and we all play, some on occasions, some all the time but we all love it. My work colleagues all think I'm a nutter anyway so who cares? An interesting fact is that I'm the only one who gets asked what exciting adventures I got up to at the weekend, whether its sneaking across Dartmoor, crawling up Pen Y Fan, shooting a bunch of nutters in the woods, jumping off a viaduct on a bit of rope, climbing rock faces, diving on the south coast, off road driving, bushcrafting in the woods, kayaking in flooded meadows, doing SERE type exercises in dodgy parts of Eastern Europe, etc etc. Strangely enough, most want to come along too, especially when I show them the videos and pics of what we do. My brothers all play, my brother's GF plays, my mum is dying to give it a go and she's 60 next year. Even my dad likes the GBB pistols and his idea of small bore is his S&W .357 magnum.

As far as girlfriends are concerned, if they can't respect your hobbies and interests then they are not the girl for you. Simple. Don't change who you are for anyone. My wife did her time in the PLA and she plays with us too and is bloody good, as anyone at Ground Zero will contest who has been shot by the small Chinese girl in Swedish camo- if they've seen her at all... She likes the real firearms too, though draws the line at the Martini Henry.

So be true to yourself. If you like airsoft then who gives a damn what others think. As with anything really, it depends on HOW you tell people about things as to how they react. I'm an embalmer by day and everyone I tell that to thinks it's really cool, because of the way I tell them (told you I was weird..). My ex was a whiny teacher and she thought it was gross, so naturally when she tells her Guardian reading chums they follow her opinions and are also grossed. Except for the ones I spoke to first who thought it was cool. Odd that, eh?

Quoted for absolute, glorious truth. Previous girlfriend made fun of me for it, current one doesn't care and thinks it's cool.

Thankyou sir! Oddly enough, I got asked by 3 people at work today what I did at the weekend, and they were all amazed that I did nothing. Zilch. Just went shopping with the missus and my most nutter mates.

For Clothes.

Normal clothes...

They thought that was weird... :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

In this modern time of austerity I use the following explanation:

"Its like paintball but much cheaper." <Why is it cheaper?> "Because you can get 3000 little plastic bb' for the same money as 100 paintball!"

The next question is normally <Does it hurt> - "No not really. You might be a small red mark if you were really close to someone."

------------------

By saying its cheaper you automatically appear more normal because what kind of idiot would choose the more expensive version? By saying PLASTIC bb people get over the idea that they are steel BB's which is the negative reaction I have had.

Only negative reaction I have had is over the name airsoft - sounds so stupid really. But that's it.

Actually come to think of it my dad was like "why does it need to look realistic?" when I ordered my m4. I was 19 at the time so just ordered it. When I came home he and my brother we asking me why it wouldn't fire. There was no battery sent with the order. Stupid airsoft shop.

I usually stick with the "It's like paintball but here's the difference..."

That seems to work fairly well. Since most people know about paintball and it's an accepted sport around the world people don't fear it as they do with airsoft, another point is the realism factor of airsoft. I do only tell close friends about it as most people here in SoCal are very closed minded and I live in a neighborhood mostly consisting of families with young children. I do try to keep very secretive of my hobby to most people because of that.

People usually ask how I can spend so much money on the hobby and I compare it to people who spend tons of money on Motorbikes or gaming computers and so on. Then they seem to understand how I can justify spending a good deal of cash on the hobby. Most friends then become interested in trying it out, even girls do.

My family thinks it's cool, my dad loves that I airsoft but hates that I spend money on it, naturally. He thinks that I spend too much on a hobby like this, even though he spends his money on cars and mountain/road bikes.

Of course people always ask "why not join up!?" And so I tell them that I am planning on that in the future. I am currently a student and would like to build a good starting point before the military so if I got out for any reason I would be pretty much set and ready for a good job without having to go back to school. At least I think that is a good plan. This is the next best thing to real military service, even though it is not at all like the real thing.

Being a student means that I can spend as much money on the hobby as I would want to, well, I don't want to spend anything on this but I have a good sized "need-list" and a much, much longer "want-list."

Actually you can keep cartridge pistols at home too. I know 'cause I do. :)

It ain't easy persuading the police but it can be done.

Not taking the ######, but how did you work that one out? My understanding of the current Firearms regs prohibits ownership of cartridge firing pistols of all calibres, unless they are over a certain length- usually achieved with stupidly long barrels or 'stocks'. The only exemptions I am aware of is antique/obselete calibres or for humane animal dispatch. Unless you live in Northern Ireland? Like I said, not taking the ######, but would be genuinely interested if there is another way I am not aware of that does not involve travelling abroad to use cartridge pistols.

Not taking the ######, but how did you work that one out? My understanding of the current Firearms regs prohibits ownership of cartridge firing pistols of all calibres, unless they are over a certain length- usually achieved with stupidly long barrels or 'stocks'. The only exemptions I am aware of is antique/obselete calibres or for humane animal dispatch. Unless you live in Northern Ireland? Like I said, not taking the ######, but would be genuinely interested if there is another way I am not aware of that does not involve travelling abroad to use cartridge pistols.

You mentioned the main exceptions.

I hold them as a collector. If I wanted to shoot them I could keep them at an Historic Shooting Centre. I used to do that as there is one near me but I didn't like the way it was run. The obsolete calibre ammunition is expensive to buy but can be reloaded at reasonable cost. Of course you're not restricted to obsolete calibre. A mate of mine was given a variation for a 9mm semi auto recently. He's got his eye on a Luger.

It isn't easy but it can be done.

The easy way is to get a variation for an LBR, 12 inch barrel with a wrist brace or counterbalance. They aren't ideal but are still fun to use.

The thing that got me into airsoft was losing most of my pistols after the ban. It was nice to be able to do pistol comps again. A lot of people I know gave up airsoft practical pistol when LBRs became popular but some of us still do it.

Just had a big, long read of this thread and it sorta nailed a couple things home for me

I used to think NZ sucked for firearms, not allowed F/A, etc etc.

Then i saw just what you guys have to put up with.

I havent met a single person yet that has had that kind of reaction when they have seen my hobby or my collection (Budding real steel and airsoft) even when i owned the 25mm cannon people thought it was more interesting than "Disturbing"

Here to own firearms you just have to have the appropriate licence, an "A" Category (base licence) allows you any shotgun, rifle, semi or bolt, over 30" long. (A 105mm howitzer is classed as an A-Cat, a SVD-Dragunov is A-Cat)

"B" category allows you to own & shoot pistols, they just have to be stored at a pistol club

"C" ("Collectors") category lets you own anything, full-auto machineguns, pistols, rocket launchers, etc.

• 1 month later...

Im young, Freshamn young. sofar, im sorruound by kids that

A: Think ima go crazy

B; A nerd (Ok i am, but i get soome cool points for owning a HK

C: Dont even count as a airsoft lover/ player becase i dont own a high FPS gun firing 12 grams, which said owners dont even follow the mose basic safety rules

D: Go Gari Goldman and ocme in shooting everyone that has *fruitcage*ed me over( more then a AK Hicap) or ###### me off in some way

C: Think im trying to act tough.

Altough, coming in with BDU's (only bottoms at the moment, but I have a OD jacket) with sleves rolled up showing off scars with a macthing cap worn backwards uis awsome.

butt only have less then 200 bucks at the moment so i caint even buy a decent gun.

Im young, Freshamn young. sofar, im sorruound by kids that

A: Think ima go crazy

B; A nerd (Ok i am, but i get soome cool points for owning a HK

C: Dont even count as a airsoft lover/ player becase i dont own a high FPS gun firing 12 grams, which said owners dont even follow the mose basic safety rules

D: Go Gari Goldman and ocme in shooting everyone that has *fruitcage*ed me over( more then a AK Hicap) or ###### me off in some way

C: Think im trying to act tough.

Altough, coming in with BDU's (only bottoms at the moment, but I have a OD jacket) with sleves rolled up showing off scars with a macthing cap worn backwards uis awsome.

butt only have less then 200 bucks at the moment so i caint even buy a decent gun.

I loved your point on fps btw.

Also, I only wear a BDU and use my pockets with *gasp* 2 midcaps and 1 high cap. I know people at the field say things about how "un-professional" I am, but hey, Im the one laughing as I sprint across the field while they lug their backpacks up a hill.

I loved your point on fps btw.

Also, I only wear a BDU and use my pockets with *gasp* 2 midcaps and 1 high cap. I know people at the field say things about how "un-professional" I am, but hey, Im the one laughing as I sprint across the field while they lug their backpacks up a hill.

And its cheaper.:D

I think once you're older, it's totally different. Aside from Arnies, I got a lot of my friends in the sport, and it's nice to see the interest. When I tell people what I do, it's easier to say "Military Simulation", and note that it's airsoft guns that are more complex and realistic than sporting good store counterparts.

Archived