Stereotypes

vorgaphe

Unless you'd hung a rug up in the background and were sitting cross-legged talking about how all the western infidels must leave Afghanistan (in a Birmingham accent) I'm not sure how you'd manage that.

Don't forget the beard.

Great, now I can't get a Geordie version of Osama Bin Laden out of my head. You bastards.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 'why don't you join the army' line ###### me off, partly because I have tried, and I'm not allowed to for medical reasons. You don't go up to guys having a kickabout in the park and ask them why they aren't in the premiership, or have a go at someone doing a doodle for not having their work exhibited in galleries. :ranting2:

Simply take them to one side and quietly and calmy explain that you are merely engaging in your natural, necessary need to hunt people down and make them squeal like piggies.

Lol lol lol

May have to joke that to at least one friend just to see their reactions.

Sir, if I knew how to sig things, I'd like to have that :D

I've only been asked twice why I'm not in the forces.

My response was, and will always be:

"I'm doing this as a hobby and sport. You enjoy (in this case) sewing. Why aren't you working professionally in a sweat shop? I'd like to join the forces. But look at me. I'm fat. Have terrible eye-sight - I'm more likely to cause damage to 'us' than 'them'. And lets not forget my age. I'm currently doing my A2s..."

Of all the people who've asked me, I expected it to come from one of my serving cousins. They haven't, and seem to enjoy it too.

From the forces guys I've met who know I airsoft, they've actually been generally cooler about it than many civilians I know. I realise that's not necessarily representative of a wider spectrum but I find it's like the issue of unit badges, berets etc... the guys who are actually in the forces don't seem to care nearly so much as ones that aren't.

Spetznazdave87: Same thing here.

I have met some Servicemen (Army and Air Force) and some of them even started playing.

It's normally the "regular" people that start going "OMG!! A Gun! Run for your lives!"

I helped out on several trade shows where my former team would set up an airsoft exhibit, so I got my routine down cold.

Once you get past the "Are those REAL guns?" part, it's pretty easy to explain just what airsoft is.

And the paintball comparisons do chafe a bit, but I can live with that.

:)

Like many others I use the paintball comparison when asked and if they want to know more I'll go into more detail. As for people's attitudes I don't have any mates who are anti guns so their reactions have been from 'ooh nice' to 'can I come?' Family is a little different as there are a couple of members of my family who are anti anything gunshaped, but luckily they have realised that it's my hobby so my business. The subject rarely comes up and if it does it's usually something along the lines of:

"been up to much this weekend?"

"just airsoft on sunday"

"ok" and change subject

As for work colleages I couldn't give a flying *fruitcage* what they think as I go to work to pay my bills and mortgage not make friends.

The way I see it is if you don't like my hobby then fair enough, just don't start spouting "facts" you got from the Daily Mail about how anything gun related will ruin my life by killing everyone I know and raping the dog.

Had a neighbour who stopped her kids coming round to play with my kids because I had airsoft guns.

Sister in law phoned to tell me I shouldnt put up pics of my new guns on FB because they are illegal now and I could get into trouble.

Tried speaking to both.

Sister in law was happy to be put right

Neighbour now thinks I am a mix of Raoul Moats and Hannibal Lector.

Reasonable people will listen, the rest we may as well save our breath.

Nige

I tend to stick with the policy of "What people don't know, can't upset them".

What we do in our own homes, within the law of the land, is our own business and it's usually best to keep it that way. Certainly there is no harm fettling with your toy guns and gear all weekend long if that's what tickles your fancy and nor should you have to feel ashamed of it, should the need arise to explain yourself.

If you are more of the "out and about" airsofter type and like to shoot off those little white plastic pellets every once in a while, then there are ample places for you to do so without fear of repercussion. Quite often you will find lots of other like minded individuals at these locales, all willing and eager to talk about our common passion. Again, this can all be accomplished far away from the judgemental eyes of Joe Civillian and the rest of the Bandwagoneers.

Thus, I return you to my original statement. :P

Disclaimer: All comments are made with a jovial attitude and a hint of sarcasm.

I tend to have the opposite problem, I don't have them all racked out in the front room but when word gets out it's "wow, cool, can I see".

I guess the best way to fight this is to present yourself as a well spoken and well rounded person so once the topic comes around to this you won't come off as a nutter.

Just to share,in my country some time ago,about 2009, airsoft was the IN thing, you're not trendy if your not playing airsoft, so we had for a while poseurs who would come and show that they got the best guns, it was all over the media, tv personalities playing airsoft, airsoft in the tv as the extreme sport that is IN and happening...

Good thing that it only lasted for a while :P

Archived