HMS Ark Royal

Gregorius

Anyone got a spare few billion lying around? because

"Carrier HMS Ark Royal put up for auction on MoD website"

would make for one hell of an awesome site :D

HMS Ark Royal was larger than her 2 sisters, Invincible and Illustrious, at 211.4 metres (693 feet) long. She had a maximum beam of 35 metres (114.7 feet) and a displacement of 20,235 tonnes.

4 Olympus gas turbine engines (like Concorde's) were used to propel the ship, which give a maximum speed in excess of 30 knots. A steeper ski jump than in the other ships of this class was fitted at the forward end of the flight deck.

The ship's motto was 'Zeal Does Not Rest'.

you think we could petition the government to turn it into some kind of shipboard cqb training site? (that airsofters could also use?) and then cite the fact that such training is REQUIRED by forces personnel because of things like the pirate attacks of the coast of Somalia?

I was hoping this would be a thread regarding the need to rally round and get the historic 'Ark Royal' name re-used. The British Navy shall falter without the great ships of the line. The 'Ark Royal' name should be bestowed upon the largest of the next generation of battle cruisers and become our flagship to lead our great navy into battle against all forces of evil and opression.

Blimey came over all patriotic there didn't I? :blink: Good old Blighty.

In all seriousness though the name needs to return soon.

In all seriousness though the name needs to return soon.

Agreed.

One can't quite see many people willingly joining up to serve on HMS Prince of Wales...

that said, I do find it both hilarious, and down right stupid that the first time Charles will ever have something named after him...it'll be moth-balled almost instantly...

OT - I believe HMS Ocean has frequently been used for infantry training purposes.

There is one slight problem I see with using a (former) ship of the line for airsoft - erm...what happens if someone falls overboard?

what happens if someone falls overboard?

I guess they get wet.

Back on topic: I just hope this isn't a case of history repeating itself. Take the scrapping of the last Arc Royal, decomissioned as it was considered surplus to requirements in 1979. Fast forward 3 years and we all know how usefull a second aircraft carrier would have been in the south atlantic

Anyone got a spare few billion lying around? because

"Carrier HMS Ark Royal put up for auction on MoD website"

would make for one hell of an awesome site :D

HMS Ark Royal was larger than her 2 sisters, Invincible and Illustrious, at 211.4 metres (693 feet) long. She had a maximum beam of 35 metres (114.7 feet) and a displacement of 20,235 tonnes.

4 Olympus gas turbine engines (like Concorde's) were used to propel the ship, which give a maximum speed in excess of 30 knots. A steeper ski jump than in the other ships of this class was fitted at the forward end of the flight deck.

The ship's motto was 'Zeal Does Not Rest'.

it said the other day on hms ark royal program on sky each engine uses 97 litres of diesel a min so dont fancy filling that up at all

Given the going rate at the pumps right now, you're looking at (very) roughly £8000 per hour to run one engine, and that's fuel cost alone. I know some people spend a lot on airsoft but I think that might be going a tad too far.

Also no sure what all this talk is ships of the line is about, they pretty much stopped building those around 1860, think some of you have been playing too much Napoleon: Total War. :P

Given the going rate at the pumps right now, you're looking at (very) roughly £8000 per hour to run one engine, and that's fuel cost alone. I know some people spend a lot on airsoft but I think that might be going a tad too far.

Also no sure what all this talk is ships of the line is about, they pretty much stopped building those around 1860, think some of you have been playing too much Napoleon: Total War. :P

she might return better mpg with out the weight of planes and the crew to fly and maintain them lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived