Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

To counter the negatives in my life.

I've started working on the speech my brother and I shall be giving at my mum's wedding next month (we're both walking here down the aisle as her father passed a long time ago).

One of my dearest friend's birthday next week and I'm one of a select few invited to the meal. Will be with a lot of friends and a good night (shame I can't stay out for the entire night but have a 4AM shift).

Apparently found somewhere with the Haley Strategic "RO3" steel water bottle I've wanted for ages in stock (just hoping their inventory is right) so treated myself to that little tacticool splurge.

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not the only thing you can do. But definitely should be the only thing you should do.

I've been quite a negative person a large portion of my life and despite being happier the past 18 months or so I've still played the miserable git as it became my persona but typically in a sarcastic/joking way.

It took one of my dearest friends to point out to me after I jokingly scolded her for setting the kitchen on fire that most of the people I work with think I have an attitude problem. I was so scared to lose the few friends I have that its made me re-evaluate everything and try a more positive outlook on life, if not for myself at least for the ones I care about

And it feels good.

I'm a negative person, I find being negative keeps me grounded, and I then see things for what they are (in my own perspective, which is completely subjective) and then I focus on what makes me happy(what little family I have, my hobbies, my job) , rather than needing to suit others needs. People, somtimes unfortunately/thankfully come and go in life life.

If you don't like what I say or my views, that's fine. We don't need to be friends (or remain friends). I would spend every minute alone with my thoughts, then be surrounded by people that truly make me feel alone.

Went out off-roading today.

Took Pam-the-Pinz.

My wife and I had a lovely time.

It was an interesting day for a couple of reasons.

In preparation I made the cab enclosed with 6mm polycarbonate.  With the cab enclosed the heater was bananas, nuclear heat levels.

I also, took my wellingtons and gore-tex coveralls from work.

I took a shovel, a bow saw and a machete, a kinetic recovery rope and shackles.

On the way I had a thought and popped into B&Q where I nearly bought a chainsaw.

On arriving at the meet up point the others looked at my car and expressed concern that I would be able to keep up.

The other three cars are all Suzuki Jimnys set up for off-roading with various levels of equipment, winches, light bars, big tyres, lifted suspension and other things.

The organiser, the father of a friend said: "It is Top Gear rules, if you fall behind we will leave you."

Fair enough I thought, I am on old tyres and my car is 200mm taller and about 100mm wider than the others.  They haven't seen seen her going.

So, I chugged along at the back, doing my thing, chatting with my wife.

Every time we went through a tricky section I would hear one of them on the radio asking if I was still with them.  Yup.

We had to change route due to a fallen tree.  I regretted not buying the chainsaw.

The sun went down at about 1630hrs, we were quite far from the car park where the others left their cars.

We headed back, just trucking along.  Due to the way we turned around I was at the front for the last section back to the metalled road.

It was the worst bit we got to, deeply rutted with tree roots inside the ruts making it like driving up ladder rungs. I rolled through it.

Then I noticed the others had dropped back.

The lead Jimny was stuck.

He flailed around for a while, so I went back and tugged him out.

Then the second and third Jimnys got stuck too.

Now it's dark, three of the four cars are stuck and they are getting desperate.

So, I stuck on my coveralls, tied all the cars together and pulled all three out together.

I felt so smug.

SMUG.

I LOVE FEELING SMUG.

That is the best story I've heard in a while.

Jimnys are awesome for their size off road, but to question the capabilities of a pinz?

How many armies have purchased suzukis as an all-terrain troop transport?

Smug am gud.

Edit, my sweet sweet monster truck ride (2wd suzuki vitara...) has a saw, ropes wellies, warm kit and a lot of other kit in year-round. I've forded the same road 8 times this year alone - sounds the last 4 weeks - and seen and helped stuck vehicles and mine is no better then a car.

Preparation is good.

If they're from MoD issue rat packs, then technically they are. Ration packs are never released for sale - every one is literally marked "MoD use only - not for sale".

Of course, I don't care and no one else seems to either. There's do many rat packs on eBay that it's just a joke.

I know what you mean - but that means "help yourself to stuff you want for yourself" not "take a bunch of stuff to sell it online."

Technically the CO probably shouldn't have said that anyway, it should have gone back to the stores or been disposed of through the system.

But, again, I don't care. I'm just being pedantic.

I still don't get why they don't do commercial sales of ration packs to civilians.  It makes no sense as there is obviously a market for them judging from how many have been...lifted...

Re-package it, remove all MoD/military details.  Just put the stuff in different boxes and start counting the money.  Have authorized sellers to stop people nicking MoD ones and re-packaging them to make them look legit.  It's not rocket science science.  Though this is MoD we are talking about heh.

There are commercial equivalents already available, but people want the actual military ones and/or cheaper ones.

If you steal a box from the QM's stores, you can sell them cheaper than commercial ones and still make money.

But yes, a genuine outlet for military spec ones combined with better security and enforcement to minimise thefts would be in order.

I guess they're more worried about the people selling GSRs, Osprey plates, Mk7 helmets and Virtus kit though...

I still don't get why they don't do commercial sales of ration packs to civilians.  It makes no sense as there is obviously a market for them judging from how many have been...lifted...

Re-package it, remove all MoD/military details.  Just put the stuff in different boxes and start counting the money.  Have authorized sellers to stop people nicking MoD ones and re-packaging them to make them look legit.  It's not rocket science science.  Though this is MoD we are talking about heh.

If you sold them at a price where you could make a profit nobody would buy them.

They are extremely well made and a lot of effort goes into them.

I am going to get one of those steel boxes for the back of the car so I can leave more stuff in there.

There is very little storage space that can be locked.

I love my Pinz but yesterday I felt like the first time I drove her.

I'm so in love.

I have an xmas bonus coming and I had been trying to work out what my priorities were for spending it.

I had considered getting a broadcast quality mic and headphones for the PC.

I had also thought about a new tool cabinet.

Forget that, I will be spending it all on the Pinz.

Tyres, better wipers, washers that actually work, rewire the lights (somebody stupid has had a crack), perhaps do LED lights if I have the cash.

I need new mirrors, I smashed one and I might try and bodge on some heated ones.

You can also fit Smart car seats to the thing, I could get the leather heated ones but they cost more.

You can get a civilian ignition kit and I will get a servicing kit.

Granted I know nothing about unit cost of a UK MRE.  I just figured with the numbers being made, it might be possible to be able to put out a profitable product with an attractive price.  Something like US MRE pricing would be fine.  Though I suppose the might of the US war machine is able to stamp those prices down considerably. 

Probably made in the same factory for the same company, too.

Definitely. The civi ones I've had before are in identical packaging

Hell, they're probably cheap compared to what the MoD pay per 24-hour box. Everyone knows government contracts over pay on everything.

It wouldn't surprise me. Having seen the way the civil service spends money it would be funny if it wasn't our taxes

Anyway, I feel I should clarify, it wasn't an ebay purchase, more a case of a friend was told help yourself, managed to bag a fair amount and basically gave me what he didn't want for a few quid.

Archived