mouth protection pros and cons?

Isamu

Wish I had your skills heroshark :lol: I will be buying a mask like Azubi suggested, make some holes with grommets for ventilation and maybe a light piece of plastic in the mouth zone just to be safe the BB impact wont transfer enough force through the fabric :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is another example of a mesh hybrid mask, the soft sides give me perfect cheek weld:

20120917_163632_zps2faf5029.jpg

Build thread here:

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/206261-mesh-hybrid-mask/

I have also used a version where I just sewed the mesh part to a neoprene half mask:

20120909_165052.jpg

And one I did for a friend's Iron Face mask:

20120722_144642.jpg

So you use neoprene to cover sensitive parts and a hard surface to protect the breakable ones... sounds good, any picture for reference?

What I did looks about the same as what Jibbity came up with his neoprene one above. Easy and inexpensive.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have the luxury of looking like the Sandpeople, due to my impression and all. I usualy go with a top mouth guard from WT, but if people are acting stupid or we play without any safety distance i made up a little mask i can hide under a buff. I heated it with a lighter and molded it on a chivas bottle so it would fit without showing, hope the pictures will explain it better then i.

IMG_4105.JPG

Something like this, just remove the ugly mesh and start burning that sucka.

P3160017.jpg

I placed a small bit of foam from a helmet so act as a blocker for the air i breath out and made it softer for my upper lip.

9a.jpg

12a.jpg

The chinstrap holds everything completely in place, else you can tie some rubberband on it if needed.

The nose being open to hits kinda ends that idea. But its very easy to make(DIY) and you can just use whatever buff fits your style, i cut my buff a bit so to allow the heat and sweat to get out from around my neck. But running sordins this and my ops-core helm can get really really hot. But guess thats the same if you are running a buff or balaclava.

Pro:

Buy one that you can mould i warm water and the breathing and talking isn't gonna be that much of a problem.

They are sold on ebay and if you are willing to spend around 15-25USD you can get a desent one.

Cons:

Lips bleed ALOT when hit.

I personally hit at guy last year using only mouthguard and glasses and it was bleeding all over.

Wasn't aiming for a headshot but it happens and I felt kind of bad about it

eventhoug the guy was a standup kind of guy and didn't blamed me.

I use a mesh mask which I have moulded all the way in to my cheek at the aimingside

and moulded my headmonofone into the other side.

Off course it is a little more obvious when hit but not that much more over all.

I personally go with the close and cover method, close my mouth and cover with a raised gun. I skirmished with full face protection for years but I found everything caused fog up, even a mesh half mask. I don't like mesh goggles because they restrict view and make everything look darker. So far, I have been shot in the teeth once, at fairly close range. The round skipped off my molars, no teeth chipped on that one, possibly would have been a different story if it had hit an inciser or canine, not really sure. I find on balance though I get shot in the face a hell of a lot less now due to better situational awareness. Also, and this is the really crucal thing, I almost nocked my shooting glasses off when I fell over in with my mesh half mask on, this was while under fire and I think my glasses were about a mil off exposing my eyes, now, loosing a tooth would suck and be an expensive dental bill, loosing an eye.... no thanks.

I always wear a lower face mask as I mainly play CQB and BBs have a tendency to hit me on the tip of my Jose so I end up looking like rudolf!

Mesh lower mask with a pair of quality glasses is my set up. Although I did recently buy a full face army of two style mask, yet to skirmish it, but its very comfortable so I look forward to using it.

• 2 weeks later...

Clever idea! The mesh is very uniform, goes well with the kit.

Chap of mine took a round in one of his upper front tooth a little while ago- gun was clocking 380 with .2 and it blew half his tooth off. 
Regardless, we never learned our lesson- until recently, the migration to gas guns has a lot of hot guns on field, and some new teams have some reckless people in CQB.

A few of us have decided to be horrible, drop the whole kitwhore angle for just a second, and buy some rubber animal masks. We had an idea after Hotline Miami and the fact critter masks creep the hell out of most of us- combined with the matching kit and weapon setups, it looks like nightmares come flesh.

Have to reinforce some with autobody filler, but when that's done I'll grab some pictures.

I currently use a mesh lower mask with ess profile goggles(less comfy, but ice glasses fogged A LOT), with sports t shirt material sewn on the cheeks and chin for comfort. I also cut down the mask to make it less obstructive to head movement, and use two bungie straps instead of elastic so its easier to pull down if i need water. I have no problems getting a cheekweld, and use an eotech . I would like to try a mouthguard and snood at some point, but understand it would be rather unpleasant to take 350 fps to the lip( i play cqb and urban only)and im not going without teeth protection ever(£2500 braces!), especially since the group of sites i play at has had 68 teeth shot out in the last 4 years.

Even so, if you brought your gun up quickly, wouldnt the material harden up?

No idea, if I was an engineer or scientist maybe I'd have an answer for you -- but the fact that shouldering your rifle and getting a cheek weld doesn't bruise you and/or knock out your teeth compared to say... getting shot...probably means its not worth worrying about. :)

It's all moot anyway, since I have no idea what material exists that demonstrates the properties I've mentioned briefly above. 

Archived