'What am bestest' RS optics?

Lone_Bullet

Hi there,

I'm well aware that the 'what am bestest' post go to the newby section.

However, I don't thing many new players will be buying real steel optics for their beginners AEG.

So what is really my question?

I'd like an experienced player's opinion on what good real steel optic options there are.

Currently, I have the Vortec Sparc, which, for €200 I find hard to beat. I'll probably get the Vortec Aimpoint equivalent as well.

I also 'heard' that soviet era optics are a good option and even modern AK optics are very good value for money.

I'd like somebody to confirm this.

As you can see I'm not talking about military optics, but rather affordable civilian optics.

1x reflex, 1x holo's, 3-8x scopes, go ahead, please to share you opinion and experience with them.

And while you're at it, explain what kind of BB protection you give these precious babies :)

Let me start: 

I have a Vortex sparc mini dot, a derivative of the Aimpoint T-1 I think.

Works very well: Lens is quite clear and the red dot is quite sharp compared to airsoft replica's. Is GBBr recoil ready of course.

Quite pricey at first, but by now I've spend 3/4 the amount on G&P optics which electrical systems fail, or sometimes aren't even zero able.

You get a low mount, high mont and a riser for the highmount as well as a rubber lens cap, microfibre cloth and has NV capabilities (which I use without NVG, when my eyes are really used to the dard and thus blinded easily ).

I use a standard Swiss Arms rail mounted and folable lens protector. You can fol that too easily so I'll probably go for a real steel solution aswell like a honeycomb killflash, though I don't like my optic to become any darker.

We'll see!

Going from this experience, I'll probably get a Vortex StrikeFire so I don't have to switch optics.

Bigger FOV, a bit cheaper and the ability to screw in a disk of perspex as a BB protector.

So, what are your thoughts?

Primary Arms stuff I've not had any experience with personally, but everything I've heard indicates them to be excellent for the price, and worlds away from airsoft Aimpoints that have wiring made out of cheese. These things stand up in tests you can find online to drop tests on concrete, real-steel recoil, etc. I think some of their stuff is threaded for Killflashes, but not all of it is.

I've also used a friend's Redfield 2-7x33mm scope and loved it. Blew away a cheap 3-9x40 I have in terms of FOV, exit pupil and eye relief, clarity, the works. These are sub-200 USD in the States, though I don't know of their availability in Europe. He just uses a transparent scope cap over the front. (I don't see that taking more than one hit; presumably it's just there to absorb most of the impact.)

I like NcStar. I only have one of their optics, a 2x20 long eye relief scope but my opinions about it is shared with most of their lineup by other users. They're cheap and they work really well. Also mine's rated to .44mag so I know no existing airsoft pistol can or ever will generate enough recoil to mess with its zero.

I have owned both the SPARC and the STRIKEFIRE and both are good quality, budget RS optics.

Although I have sold both of them now, I do think they are amongst the best RS gear you can get that is below the Eotech/Aimpoint/Trijicon level.

One thing to consider is residual values though, even though you spend more initially with the level above, you're going to be able to recoup a higher percentage of your purchase price with Eotech/Aimpoint/Trijicon.

I have a Primary Arms Aimpoint clone and it works great. Well worth the $100. Reticule is brighter/sharper by far and the battery life and durability are also vastly improved.

As for protection, with any Aimpoint 30mm clone it is pretty easy. I got a 1.25 inch hole saw for my drill press. With that I can cut disks of clear polycarb that will fit right under the front scope cover. Depending on your actual model you may need a dot of hot glue to hold it on there. If anyone is interested I can post up some pictures later.

Alright! So the following has been used with good results, so to say:

For 20mm rail (whats it called, weaver, picatinny or that 19 and something ? )

- Primary Arms ( Aimpoint clone ). Heard a lot about these !

- Redfield ( Scope ).

- NcStar ( Scope ).

For AK siderail

- Belomo PKA ( Red dot 1x ) ... DarkLite, is that a reflex or a holo?

Keep 'm coming please :)

Ps. Jibbity, please do.

The belomo is a standard 1x red dot.

The battery performance is ok, but it's bright, crisp, cheap and built like a tank made out of brick shithouses.

Also it looks the tits.

Whoops, make that a 1.5 inch hole saw.

20130509_004508-1_zpsa8a920bf.jpg

You can see where it leaves a rough lip on one side of the polycarbonate, this can actually help fitment by securing the disk on the outside edge of the sight.

20130509_003953-1_zps21f48fe6.jpg

Peel off the protective film, place it on the front of the sight and pop the front cap over it.

Drill press is a necessity, doing it by hand didn't really work out when I tried it.

For people who are interested in 'ComBlock' style optics:

http://russianoptics.net/default.html

I have a PK-A and a Obzor 1P63 :D Looks awesome on my real sword and GHK aks, although I have to say the Western reflex sights are a lot more intuitive, I can aim much quicker with them than these bricks.

As for other real optics... Eotechs are pretty good, had a 511 on my WE SCAR with steel bolts, replicas couldn't hold, and kept turning itself off every now and then.

Also for those who wondered if a real steel optic can take a BB hit? A real eotech can withstand a direct BB hit to the front window. 

photo-%2816%29.jpg

Wait what? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Yeah... protect your RS optics guys... the best non-military optics I own is the ATN Ultrasight, which for about $100 usd, lasted me till now and I still lend it to people every now and then, it's very crisp and the multiple reticle click in place, holds zero well enough even for the hardest kicking GBB (you'd hope so since it's meant for rs..)

Kobra red dot, QD weaver mount. Unfortunately it's 350-400£ to import.

Used EOTechs can be found for a reasonable price.

Never buy trijicon reflex. Very bad light transmission.

Aimpoints suffer a bit from the same. Wouldn't buy those either.

That lens protector may be a bit overkill. You don't need thickness, it's strength that matters and you can get 1.0mm polycarbonate that's still ANSI Z87.1+ rated. I cut them out with plain scissors and sand smooth the edges but they can take a beating of well over 500fps point blank. Tried 10 consecutive shots at the same spot and the material only deforms by about 3-5mm deep.

I have a Primary Arms Aimpoint clone and it works great. Well worth the $100. Reticule is brighter/sharper by far and the battery life and durability are also vastly improved.

As for protection, with any Aimpoint 30mm clone it is pretty easy. I got a 1.25 inch hole saw for my drill press. With that I can cut disks of clear polycarb that will fit right under the front scope cover. Depending on your actual model you may need a dot of hot glue to hold it on there. If anyone is interested I can post up some pictures later.

The Primary Arms red dot seems really nice for its price but it seems you can only get it in the USA. :(

That lens protector may be a bit overkill. You don't need thickness, it's strength that matters and you can get 1.0mm polycarbonate that's still ANSI Z87.1+ rated. I cut them out with plain scissors and sand smooth the edges but they can take a beating of well over 500fps point blank. Tried 10 consecutive shots at the same spot and the material only deforms by about 3-5mm deep.

You may be correct. Does it still offer a clear view after an impact, or do you have to replace it?

I personally use an Eotech 552 with an Eotech G33 STS magnifer. The eotechs are amazing! Never once have i had an issue with it and now that i added this Magnifer its perfect for quick transition from Cqb to long range.

But you might want to look at ACOGs you can get them from ebay for £850 (est) from US and they are pretty amazing too..you might just want to train yourself to shoot with booth eyes open if you buy ones of those but besides that i cant think of anything else right now...

Siavash, well, I kind of started this post to make people aware of budget RS optics, which are still vastly superior to any airsoftreplica.

So while I'm sure we all want to try those fancy Eotechs and Acogs... I for one simply don't have £850 to blow on an optic.

To tell you the truth I'm looking for a second hands Type97 because I can't afford a new one.

See my point? :)

@Jibbity

With a point blank 500fps impact it leaves a very slight dimple, barely noticeable on a red dot (unless you actually focus on it, which would just be wrong) and invisible on magnified optics. In fact you can only tell it's there by the reflection of the surface at a near flat angle. I'd say it would need a good 3-4 successive shots before the stretched area around the center turns whitish enough to be noticeable on a red dot. Under 300 and it doesn't leave a mark at all.

Siavash, well, I kind of started this post to make people aware of budget RS optics, which are still vastly superior to any airsoftreplica.

So while I'm sure we all want to try those fancy Eotechs and Acogs... I for one simply don't have £850 to blow on an optic.

To tell you the truth I'm looking for a second hands Type97 because I can't afford a new one.

See my point? :)

Ye understand your point on the cash, hey i wont ever spend £850 on a sight for AIRSOFT! But you can get good deals on used Eotechs..hey i got mine second hand for £250..and 10 years down the line; still working like new! But if you want something less then i dont know bro...ive personally never seen a type97 for sale......soo goodluck.

• 2 weeks later...

I am lucky enough to own a Aimpoint CompM4 – my neighbor is an ex-marine and now works for a PMC so he brings a few things back and he literally traded it for a (what is now worth) £60 air rifle of which his son wanted.

I've got to say that the quality is unmet in my limited experience and opinion, especially in comparison to some of the replica gear.

Archived