So, um, this US Govt Shutdown...

aznriptide859

The whole issue with health care is like trying to plug a leaky bucket with more water.  They would be better off going after the massive drug companies making billions on cancer drugs for example and forcing a price drop to make the health care tax more feasible.   I appreciate drug research costs a lot but they're taking the .  You fix it at the root of the problem and it becomes far more manageable and more palatable to be forced into paying.  But of course I'm sure all these Republicans have shares in the drug companies...

Can the £ start being worth $2 again now plz? kthxbai.

At least they had the sense to get a rule in that stops the military just going completely without pay because some over-privileged wankers like to play games with millions of people.  From what I've been told this hasn't happened for some time (clinton era?) but I've heard a lot of stories come back from afghan of blokes on deployment simply not getting paid for a week or two, which makes my brain hurt quite severely.  Wouldn't have those problems working for BAe, Northrop, Boeing...

To quickly sum it up:

On October 1st, 2013, the 2014 fiscal year officially starts. Before that date, the legislative branch of the U.S. government must make a federal budget. Due to the fillibustering and back-and-forth argument regarding the Affordable Care Act (with the Democratic-controlled Senate pushing to fully fund it and the Republican-controlled House of Representatives wanting to cut funding for it partially or altogether), the budget was not completed. Some organizations (NASA, National Park Service, OSHA, USDA to name a few) had not been budgeted yet, and since the budget was not submitted and approved by the start of this fiscal year, they are currently suspended due to lack of funding. 

What this means is that the Affordable Care Act (which begins today) has no funding, and neither do any of the "non-essential" government operations. The military (for the most part, thanks to a Republican-backed law to ensure their payment), the Department of Defense (except for most civilian workers), the IRS, the Mint, the US Postal Service, etc. are all still fully operational.

Clearly this is time for the Commonwealth to reincorporate the lost colonies.  Thank goodness I have historical roots to the home country.   What's the safe word for when the Royal Marines come ashore?

What I find hilarious about this all is suddenly people are going "well, let's look at what all the excess costs of some of these shut down programs really entail" after years of saying we need to but not really doing so.  Of course, that path will continue.

I just can't stop laughing at that picture. :rofl:

To quickly sum it up:

On October 1st, 2013, the 2014 fiscal year officially starts. Before that date, the legislative branch of the U.S. government must make a federal budget. Due to the fillibustering and back-and-forth argument regarding the Affordable Care Act (with the Democratic-controlled Senate pushing to fully fund it and the Republican-controlled House of Representatives wanting to cut funding for it partially or altogether), the budget was not completed. Some organizations (NASA, National Park Service, OSHA, USDA to name a few) had not been budgeted yet, and since the budget was not submitted and approved by the start of this fiscal year, they are currently suspended due to lack of funding. 

What this means is that the Affordable Care Act (which begins today) has no funding, and neither do any of the "non-essential" government operations. The military (for the most part, thanks to a Republican-backed law to ensure their payment), the Department of Defense (except for most civilian workers), the IRS, the Mint, the US Postal Service, etc. are all still fully operational.

Thanks! Before that I had literally no clue what was going on

Do members of congress still get paid? From their behaviour one would think they were non-essential. I got the impression people deemed no essential will not get back-pay either.

Growing up in a country with a pretty good public health service I find this all very odd.

Sounds like its a case of thank the beer for the civil service whom are already budgeted into the budget really keep the rest of the uk going, oh I kbow they're out of touch, mainly useless paper pushers but, at least they still work when the self serving politicians have hissyfits.

Would our colleauges across the atlantic with out of touch politicos want some? we can spare a couple of departments worth of over staff.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

Makes the Republicans sound like spoiled sissy brats in preschool.

Which they probably are lol.

The House offered three different budgets to the Senate. All three were flatly rejected. No budgets were sent back with modifications. They were simply rejected.

The House offered to meet with the Senate to discuss and debate and work out a compromise right before adjourning for the evening. The Senate met this morning just long enough to reject that.

The Democrats run the Senate. The GOP runs the House. So who, exactly, are the spoiled sissy brats, again?

Clearly this is time for the Commonwealth to reincorporate the lost colonies.  Thank goodness I have historical roots to the home country.   What's the safe word for when the Royal Marines come ashore?

Would you really want David Cameron or Ed Milliband as your leader?

Weka, apparently they still do get paid, although when you consider the backgrounds of many of them, a couple of months without pay won't hurt at all.

I still don't understand the hatred for a social healthcare system. The yanks I know who are most against it are the ones who would benefit the most from it and having lived in both systems, I would take the NHS any day of the week over the health insurance system.

I still don't understand the hatred for a social healthcare system. The yanks I know who are most against it are the ones who would benefit the most from it and having lived in both systems, I would take the NHS any day of the week over the health insurance system.

For me, it's not so much a hatred of social healthcare, as much as it is despising that my elected officials are not only assuming what's best for everyone, but they're also forcing their decisions on those who may not want it...

This is MANDATED healthcare. Up until now, if you didn't want to have to pay for coverage, you didn't have to. At least then, you had a choice! This country was founded on the premise that WE THE PEOPLE tell the government what we want them to do, and instead, there's been a complete rectal cranial inversion by the "dumb masses" here in America, and now we're being told what to do. And that cheeses me, and many of my friends off to no end!

Do I agree that the system has issues, and needs to be fixed? Definitely! But the US government has NO business trying to fix an issue it's fundamentally incapable of fixing. Our government can't even manage its own checkbook... What's to lead us to believe it can solve a bigger, infinitely more complex issue like healthcare??

There's nothing socialized about the ACA/Obamacare. It's forcing you to buy the product of a private company.

And I just checked what my subsidized rate for healthcare would be under the ACA last night and even though the government (meaning taxpayers, like me) is paying for over a thousand bucks of it... it's still significantly less expensive for me to just pay the damned fine, er... "tax". I've heard many people are seeing their insurance rates double under the ACA, even those who are eligible for government-subsidized rates.

So the government has closed down all national monuments and parks and has ceased paying close to a million people over a fairly trivial healthcare reform?

You are run by a group of people who seem to be utterly unaccountable for their actions, who are almost openly corrupt, who spy on you and your allies through vast illegal tapping networks, they have nihilistically trashed your government debt level, who live on millions while people cannot afford basic healthcare?

Why aren't you revolting?

There's nothing socialized about the ACA/Obamacare. It's forcing you to buy the product of a private company.

And it may be "private"right now, but it's only a matter of time until it's completely government run...

Why aren't you revolting?

It's coming...

I seem to remember a small group of rebels throwing a "tea party" and kicking out one tyrant not so long ago... Stands to reason it could happen again.

Your memory is faulty. It was a small group of Rich slave owning white guys who didn't want to pay taxes and got the French to help them kick the British out while we were far more concerned with hanging on to India, who were a far more economically valuable territory. 

Then, the first time you fought us without the French supplying you and providing you with military support, we destroyed most of Washington DC and burnt the White House to the ground.

But hey, 'murica right? Don't let inconvenient stuff like 'historical fact' get in the way.

Archived