What are the thoughts on Andy McNab being interested in Airsoft?

Black Templar

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry for the necro, but:

http://landwarriorairsoft.com/acatalog/VFC-AM22-Andy-McNab-Signature-Edition-Rifle-UM_AM22.html#.Uwt5nvl_tBg

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

They want £495 for it. Absolutely *fruitcage* hilarious.

A'ha it's "the gun I would want" so that answers all our pedantic "there was no 416 in GW1" all's well then.

They want £495 for it. Absolutely *fruitcage* hilarious.

If that price includes testing out it's effectiveness on Andy McNab (with eye pro of course) then it may be worth it.

Though knowing him he will probably write an overblown series of airport novels based on the subject and experiences :P.

'FireKnife'

I just find it hard to believe you pay so much more (a full £140 over a standard 416D) for a gun with cheaper furniture, the wrong lower receiver and appalling laser engraved markings.. Fair enough you get a nice hard case, but for £140 more? The whole thing is silly. Silly, I tells ya.

To be honest I don't.

Having seen things like Airsoft Surgeon custom pistols that go for £100-200 more than if you had it built from parts I will believe that £140 more for a fancy case and failed trades is about right, if not 'cheap' by airsoft standards.

I know I wont be getting one and I know many will share that thought but this is an item for the limited edition and alternative people that want those extra trades and funky box. :P

'FireKnife'

I just find it hard to believe you pay so much more (a full £140 over a standard 416D) for a gun with cheaper furniture, the wrong lower receiver and appalling laser engraved markings.

Technically speaking it's the correct lower receiver for early SF HK416s, of course; those were issued as upper receivers to be dropped onto existing M4A1 lowers.

To be honest I don't.

Having seen things like Airsoft Surgeon custom pistols that go for £100-200 more than if you had it built from parts I will believe that £140 more for a fancy case and failed trades is about right, if not 'cheap' by airsoft standards.

I agree with hwagan that at £140 more than a standard HK416D this one is seriously overpriced, but I also think if an Airsoft Surgeon pistol is only £100-200 more than the unassembled parts it's not a bad deal (that is, if it is actually Clarence Lai that puts it together and he does the kind of job he's promising to do). What does Mike Cripps charge to assemble and tune a 1911 these days?

Technically speaking it's the correct lower receiver for early SF HK416s, of course; those were issued as upper receivers to be dropped onto existing M4A1 lowers.

I agree with hwagan that at £140 more than a standard HK416D this one is seriously overpriced, but I also think if an Airsoft Surgeon pistol is only £100-200 more than the unassembled parts it's not a bad deal (that is, if it is actually Clarence Lai that puts it together and he does the kind of job he's promising to do). What does Mike Cripps charge to assemble and tune a 1911 these days?

Fair point. Still, the lower is a cheaper part than the 416 version. It just boggles my mind that VFC seriously expect people to pay a much greater amount of money for considerably less of a gun than a standard 416... There's no internal fettling, no tuning, nothing. Just a bog stock mis-match of VFC AR parts with some awful pointless markings engraved for a ridiculous chunk of cash. It's only about 40 quid off the price of a TM recoil 416!

At least with a CL pistol it's built from parts that often require filing and fiddling to run properly, so I can see the point of the markup there - You may buy all the parts for cheaper but you might royally screw up in assembling if you're not fully clued up on how to do so.. The extra money is essentially guaranteeing a working, properly fitted custom piece.

As for Mike Cripps, no idea... I'm sure he's making plenty of money keeping all the stock TM parts though...

VFC will build what the customer requests; in this case someone in the UK who saw an overcrowded market and said "me too".

They'll have built and sold out that one run to that one business and then quietly gone on their way back to regular production. They won't try and wrap their heads around if the price is right since as far as they're concerned the sales are a slam dunk.

Fixed that 4 you

Well no the theory is that if no one is buying the price keeps dropping till it's par with it's brethren.

But let's be honest; the real target customer for this thing doesn't exist in the UK. The perfect person would be the COD gamer, Tom Clancy/Andy Mcnab airport paperback buyer etc. who wouldn't know they were being marked down as a member of the "born every minute" demo. The whole bit with having to have a defense to purchase a non-two tone AEG means that casual impulse buyer has been rendered extinct. 

Well that was a general comparison but I am sure we have all seen items that offer little extra going for more. As for the AS pistols you can't really guarentee who is going to build them or the extent of their work. If every one is hand finished by Clarence Lai then great but I would doubt it to be honest. I mean in some cases you get Cybergun slapping a few poorly done trades and a Bible of text on the side of a gun and suddenly they want £20-30 extra, charging £140 more for a different receiver, some text and a box is not the most far fetched thing I can think of really, £250+ yeah that is truly extortionat but £140 some people will still buy it. People by AMcN's books after all :P.

As far as I recall Mike charges you the cost of the original gun and the kit together, keeps the parts that are replaced and sells them on. So he makes up for his work time by creating extra sales, not that bad when some places could simply charge you for the cost of the upgrade and then keep the parts. Considering in the past he has done part swaps for me (turning a long three hole trigger on a Night Warrior to a A1 style short trigger) on guns I have ordered and not charged me extra at all I can't really complain though.

'FireKnife'

Archived