What are the thoughts on Andy McNab being interested in Airsoft?

Black Templar

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who's gonna be the next one jumping on the money Waggon ,,, Ross kemp !!

Only if it has 'Super Army Soldiers' down the side of it in baked on crayon. ;)

To be honest I don't think this will change anything bar give him a bit more cash in his pocket and a few more ways to promote his money grabbing tactics, I would not be suprised if more people that do similar cheap 'airplane reads' get in on this (looking at you Chris Ryan) but all in all bar a bit of extra cash and a few 'new' designs I don't see this setting the world alight.

Now if we had an actually SAS logo inscribed M4 / M16 receiver that featured the motto, badge and some nice dates along with a percentage of the proceeds going to supporting one of our countries military charities then that I would consider a decent step forward. People that like that sort of thing get a nice RIF and it is a charity that benefits, not a sell out writer.

'FireKnife'

Now if we had an actually SAS logo inscribed M4 / M16 receiver that featured the motto, badge and some nice dates along with a percentage of the proceeds going to supporting one of our countries military charities then that I would consider a decent step forward. People that like that sort of thing get a nice RIF and it is a charity that benefits, not a sell out writer.

'FireKnife'

Ultimate walt item

Aren't we all sell outs? We all (read: vast majority) 'cash-in' for money over working for our dreams i.e. settling for a job that's not quite what we want to do, but pays the bills so we live for our hobbies. I know I did. I'm happy where I work, but it's not my dream job. If someone offered me money, that I didn't have to work for, and would allow me to do what I wanted to do, I'd be hard pushed not to take it. Yeah, sure I'm careful in other lines of work what I endorse...but enough money? I have to agree with the sentiment of "everyone has their price"

I don't harbour any ill-will to this Andy McNabb fellow...but don't have any feelings whatsoever toward this product

Hmmmm. Well certainly much venom being spat on the subject matter.

If it came to pass that he had no interest in the money and it was going to various military charities aaaaaand he genuinely thinks there could be something good in Airsoft ?

I doubt that would change opinion. After all, we all know just turning up at Hereford means you have passed selection & MM are given away freely.

I wish every success to the project.

Recap for those not in the know.

Andy Mcnab is a fictional character. He's like Batman or Postman Pat. He's played by a real live ex-SAS.

He uses a secret identity so he and members of his family won't be subject to revenge attacks from the various villains he fought while in the Army.

When he wrote his first book he neglected to give his fellow members the same courtesy and instead outed them with their real names/photos. Even though they also had family who could be subject to reprisal attacks.

My stance on this

If he wants to endorse a gun and make a few quid

Good luck to him , everyone has mouths to feed and family's to look after

If it is on a half decent gun it may take off and sell well .

If it is on a gun it will just become a forgotten / avoided gun like many that have fallen before it .

Personally its not for me but I am sure that many celeb driven people will buy it , to be honest there are much worse trades out there at this moment in time and people still buy the products .

"omg I sooo don't care about this... just gonna type out a post about it for the world to see anyway anyway, just to make sure they all know exactly how much I don't care.  Because I really don't" - Airsoft forum user #67,894

I really don't forsee this making any mainstream news media.  I'll certainly experience a high level of surprise if it should do.

My feelings about the individual in question are negative to an extent that I'd certainly not be putting any cash in his pockets by purchasing one of these rifles, but damn *fruitcage* right I'd do the same thing if the chance came up (which it, of course, is not because no *fruitcage* knows or cares who I am).  To those who reckon they wouldn't.. well I'd imagine you're either sat on a very tall and very fragile-legged equine mammal right now or you genuinely do have the selflessness and modesty of a Buddhist monk, so genuine congratulations are in order for that one.  Honestly, not even having a dig there.

Oh for sure if I could trade on my name I would. I doubt I'd slap it on anything from toasters to feminine hygiene products just to keep the coins rolling in though.

As for the old saw of "all monies going to XXX charity etc." that's a lovely idea but there are about a million more tangible, effective and genuine ways to do that vs. selling 75 aegs with special engraving that will generate enough funds to purchase three slightly soiled mattresses.

McNab endorses VFC products, which compared to the disastrous *fruitcage*-ups like USMC endorsement of Crosman's cheapest *suitcase* there was is the pinnacle of marketing skills.

Guy sold his history like a ######, effectively sticking 2 fingers up at the SAS and the Crown in the process.

Two fingers? You Brits are pretty verbose, most of the world needs only one... ;)

Yay.  More re-branded *suitcase*.  I don't care if he's Andy McNab.  Don't want it.

After what I've been reading about the other recent "endorsement" of the Red Jacket guys I share your sentiment,

I hope for the best but would expect the worst out of this. If he's doing it out of some financial goal than they'll play cheap and low and go for the lowest common denominator and just release another combat machine level alternative. They could go the other direction and be extremely high end and completely alienate the even the average experienced player like a PTW or Viper Tech M4. 

Hopefully he'll put his back behind something respectable but not ludicrous.

Americans use one, the English and the Welsh use two and the Scottish use the whole fist - it's something to do with the exchange rate, I think.

Ha ha made me spill me morning coffe! :)

As for the Andy Mcwhatshisface, I think we will see more and more of these indorsements as the industry keeps getting bigger and more visible in the mainstream.

True but then what is it going to offer that other VFC guns don't? If its just going to be a unique receiver or something why not sell that by itself 

Because a lot of people don't actually like working on guns - they want them fully assembled, delivered with a nice neat bow. Maximum profit by selling it as a complete gun, as that cashes in on the collector market

True I guess there's that, but I hope if they do go in that direction that they take it alittle beyond simply a unique traded lower receiver. Like maybe a matching traded front assembly or some after market upgrades like a ambidextrous magazine release or selector switch or perhaps a after market charging handle/latch. 

These kinds of guns are almost always cash cows - methods of increasing intake without costing anything...well, costing much. No new tooling required, but instant new product. Since the only difference is the trades, they can afford to simply laser engrave to i.e. not have to stockpile the guns.

This is largely the reason why I have virtually no opinion on them...they're not made for me, and all they represent is another revenue stream.

Archived