What are the thoughts on Andy McNab being interested in Airsoft?

Black Templar

Perhaps this has already been covered, but under what pretence does an ex SAS trooper endorse an airsoft rifle?!?! These endorsements from outside the hobby make no sense to me. Did AM use this airsoft rifle to take out six SCUD launchers? Did he drop in behind enemy lines and take out the head of the enemy leadership with it? Maybe he beat Chuck Norris in a pie eating contest with it.....

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps this has already been covered, but under what pretence does an ex SAS trooper endorse an airsoft rifle?!?! These endorsements from outside the hobby make no sense to me. Did AM use this airsoft rifle to take out six SCUD launchers? Did he drop in behind enemy lines and take out the head of the enemy leadership with it? Maybe he beat Chuck Norris in a pie eating contest with it.....

The pretense of a paycheck

Because his name is associated with GUNZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And that is all the reason people need to sink money into it. He fired guns once, he has now endorsed a gun that is in the same family of the guns he used. Pretty much it :P.

Though by the same logic Jeremy Clarkson could endorse M4s as I saw him use a civi-AR thing in that American road trip Top Gear episode where they shot at old Stig card cut outs.

'FireKnife'

Maybe if it were a different celebrity. How would people react to a Tom Clancy MP5SD6 packaged with an autographed copy of Rainbow Six? Or something more bizarre like the extremely weird (and I guess fictitious) description of funky guns in Robert Ludlum's Bourne Identity?

If they did an Ian Fleming marked Beretta 418 in airsoft form I would take that. Though to be honest that is more for the Beretta 418 than anything else. :P

Though also a Thomas Harris marked revolver or M1911 would be nice. Seeing as he seemed to sort of know his stuff in Red Dragon and Hannibal it would work.

But all in all authors putting names to a gun just doesn't do it for me, even ones with active service (military, intelligence, police, whatever) under their belt. I know the market exists but I don't see it being a big one at all.

'FireKnife'

It doesn't matter if the market isn't large with what they've done here, and that's the point. Milk the cash cow without retooling - slap on some laser engraved, or screen printed, markings and away you go!

It doesn't matter if the market isn't large with what they've done here, and that's the point. Milk the cash cow without retooling - slap on some laser engraved, or screen printed, markings and away you go!

Very true, my point is not that it isn't a quick way to get a bit of cash but that it would be better to perhaps do something new that would appeal to more and get more people on board. While the market is small and is easy to fulfil it feels to me like it might be seen as others as just a cash in and lose faith in the company.

But then that is just how I see it, like the market for such guns it doesn't appeal to me so can't comment from the other side. Wish I could as I am sure doing R&D for VFC might be a tad more fun than the work I do now :P.

'FireKnife'

But all in all authors putting names to a gun just doesn't do it for me

Maybe not on the gun itself because that's just beyond tacky. I'm thinking in the lines of WA's marketing of anime guns which seems to be doing very well. Like a Jack Lord S&W Chief's: the gun itself is pretty much a plain Model 36 but would come in a fancy box with maybe a screen grab from Hawaii Five-0 on the cover.

edit:

Come to think of it, that sounds almost exactly how/why I got my Mateba what with Togusa being plastered on everything in and out of the box. Wouldn't mind that on a Don Johnson Detonics (or previously mentioned Bren Ten) or a Jim Zubina Ruger AC556.

Maybe not on the gun itself because that's just beyond tacky. I'm thinking in the lines of WA's marketing of anime guns which seems to be doing very well. Like a Jack Lord S&W Chief's: the gun itself is pretty much a plain Model 36 but would come in a fancy box with maybe a screen grab from Hawaii Five-0 on the cover.

Ok that is a tad different. If they did a popular model of gun (in the case of the thread a M16 with strapped on compass like the TV movie etc?) and then the case or paperwork with it was littered with references that feels a bit better.

But still personally I am just one of those people that isn't big on this whole idea and sees it as a mark of selling out for a company when a product that might not otherwise be great has added trades to sell it.

I know that isn't going to affect the sales and others will still buy it but with your idea RC at least it would see a different model of gun made which is always a benefit, extra bits or not :D.

'FireKnife'

Come to think of it, that sounds almost exactly how/why I got my Mateba what with Togusa being plastered on everything in and out of the box. Wouldn't mind that on a Don Johnson Detonics (or previously mentioned Bren Ten) or a Jim Zubina Ruger AC556.

George Peppard AC556 or GTFO. ;)

Because his name is associated with GUNZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And that is all the reason people need to sink money into it. He fired guns once, he has now endorsed a gun that is in the same family of the guns he used. Pretty much it :P.

Though by the same logic Jeremy Clarkson could endorse M4s as I saw him use a civi-AR thing in that American road trip Top Gear episode where they shot at old Stig card cut outs.

'FireKnife'

Which would make sense if we were talking about real rifles, newsflash, we're not. The whole point of anyone endorsing anything, is (theoretically) because they have used the product and are willing to put their name on it based on that fact. I mean, even if we assume that Tiger Woods NEVER used Gillette razor blades, it's not a huge leap of imagination to see that there is a possibility he might do, but Andy McNabb using a VFC M4?!?! Why? AM has nothing to with airsoft, the endorsement is meaningless in every way.

In fact I'd go as far to say that an endorsement from any member on this web forum would carry more weight than anything AM could put his name to in the world of airsoft.

This isn't an endorsement. This is an Andy McNab edition of a VFC M4. It's like a Tiger Woods PGA Tour; I doubt he plays it himself, but his face is on it because as far as golf is concerned he is a big name. Airsofters are (like it or not) often regarded as Walter Mitty's, so why not get a Travis Haley, Chris Costa or Andy McNab to sell a few extra units? That's as simplistic as the logic is. It's not a case of "why bother" to them but rather "why not?"

http://www.popularairsoft.com/news/signature-edition-andy-mcnab-am-22-aeg

Well all the news is in from Popular airsoft , in an article published on the 13th.

In short , its a VFC 416 with an A2 grip , some Troy BUIS  , a rank VFG and a regular cranestock with stock VFC internals , and some trades and a signature from Andy himself emblazoned below the dust cover.

For £495. Bear in mind the price may be because , and i quote from the website  , because it has been "Officially tried and approved by Andy himself...a limited signature series, with only 1000 being manufactured worldwide"

You can pre-order it here http://www.johnsonsofleeds.co.uk/shop/en/airsoft/607-the-am22-signature-edition-6mm-aeg-rifle.html

:P

Archived