Benefit Street; Channel 4 Documentry Series.

Habakure

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Red highlighted - I wouldn't pay them. I would genuinely rather go to jail than give my ha

rd earned to those/these feckers.

"But what about paying for services (NHS/Police aka filth/local etc)?" I hear some of you cry Simple. I don't use them. If I get sick I utilise the power of an Al Murray gag "SNAP OUT OF IT!"

This is my point ..

Sorry I got confused - I thought you were addressing me. Unless you were, in which case I'm confused again!

edit: in any case its a bit iffy to talk about him going to school - ultimately that would of been the parents decision, not the child, and in any case, it seems plausible that someone could change their mind about politics between being at school/leaving school and now.

This is my point ..

I personally think it is time for the public to speak out and remind these elected mps , leaders etc that they are there to serve the public , not the other way round as they have grown to believe , 3/ 4 of a million pounds on portraits . . They have the cheek and audacity to attack the poor people if this country when they themselves are spending money on vanity projects or fiddling expenses / privileges themselves . Pot calling the kettle black methinks .,,, who are the real thieves the poor people or the white collar , suited criminals who are using their power to redirect the blame ?

I personally think it is time for the public to speak out and remind these elected mps , leaders etc that they are there to serve the public , not the other way round as they have grown to believe , 3/ 4 of a million pounds on portraits . . They have the cheek and audacity to attack the poor people if this country when they themselves are spending money on vanity projects or fiddling expenses / privileges themselves . Pot calling the kettle black methinks .,,,

or £10,000 on stuffing a snake!!! 

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2012/nov/01/foreign-office-snake-stuffing-bill

hmmm I disagree You can get private medical cover inc ambulance & you could also get private security for your house/neighborhood. (I think some neighbourhood in Kent has this) If you were a victim of crime you could also hire a private detective, if you were so inclined... Getting a bit academic tho now..

Private ambulances and private security aren't emergency services. Private detectives have literally no legal authority to investigate, interview suspects or do pretty much anything.

Private ambulances and private security aren't emergency services. Private detectives have literally no legal authority to investigate, interview suspects or do pretty much anything.

You're going up against essentially a state monopoly (of course private ambulances do form part of the emergency services due to outsourcing and tings). I'm pretty sure private investigators can do those things they are quite heavily regulated now. councils and lawyers etc regularly use them so I don't think they are quite that powerless.  crux of it comes down to your views on social contract to which we're unlikely to convince each other on the pros or cons 

Private security have only citizens arrest powers . They have no powers as such . So cannot caution , read someone their rights etc. so police still have to be involved in criminal cases . The private security / bailiffs are tigers with no teeth , mainly used for civil cases . Court empowered bailiffs and police , customs etc ( all goverment employed ) are the only people with full powers of arrest for criminal matters .

As for private health insurance etc . Even with cover you will end up in the most local a&e if you have an emergency / accident .

So one way or another the bill falls back onto the taxpayer .

I remember my time on JSA. They deemed me worthy to receive £6.80 a fortnight because I worked one day a month for £40 pay. Considering most of the money actually went on travel it was pointless even being on JSA.

I also remember the woman who interviewed me looked at me like I was the scum of the earth, regardless of the fact I was polite, well dressed and speaking her majesties English rather than "East London rude boy". Seriously, her disinterest in her job was impressive. She threw paperwork at me, gave me one word answers and generally treated me like I'd just pooped on her desk and ate her stationary. Thank god I only ever had to see her twice as otherwise I might have snapped and had a massive go at her and her lack of social skills.

I would say 'well that isn't on' but given that no matter how many people are nice to you your day can still be ruined by that one useless *rickroll* that still sits there, lies to you about doing things and you still have to pay him as you can't really prove it then it is hard to truly condemn her. Sure she could be nice to everyone but everyone has their limits and I am sure both sides could vouch for that in a Job Centre with some of those that they employ and some that come to use the JC. To be honest it would be nice if there was a system in place that all applicants must speak in a considerate manner or be refused but I am sure someone would find an issue with that.

'FireKnife'

I thought if you lived in a country, you had (for the time being) to a bide by its rules. Which would mean paying taxes. If you don't like the system change it by any mans necessary, just so long as it doesn't indanger anyone.

There is no excuse for being rude to a member of the public who is being nice to you. No matter how bad the previous person was. I've worked in a situation like that, were I saw 6-8 people an hour. There is no excuse for bad manners, when your job is to deal with the public. Some people are just useless/nasty/rude.

I thought if you lived in a country, you had (for the time being) to a bide by its rules. Which would mean paying taxes. If you don't like the system change it by any mans necessary, just so long as it doesn't indanger anyone.

There is no excuse for being rude to a member of the public who is being nice to you. No matter how bad the previous person was. I've worked in a situation like that, were I saw 6-8 people an hour. There is no excuse for bad manners, when your job is to deal with the public. Some people are just useless/nasty/rude.

True but some people are just not good with dealing with such people on a person by person basis. I am not trying to excuse the attitude of some more just say that it is a job that looks like it could really grind you down quick given who you would have to deal with.

Sure at my job I have people that make stupid requests but I can deal with them as they are calm and nice about it but some are not always nice about it but keeping cool with them takes a lot. I get that at most twice a week but I don't think I would want it ten times a day though, that would be a lot harder to deal with. Just my personal view, people in general nowadays are a bit short with each other but to act like that to everyone all the time is not on. Perhaps like many other things it is our social responses to each other that need imrpoving too?

'FireKnife'

I think it is very true that people have a short fuse these days. I've always prided myself on being polite even in a situation were the other person is being very impolite. It's different if they attack you physically, then that's a case of defending yourself. But threats should always be taken with a pinch of salt, as most of the time it's an empty threat and they just want to get a raise out of you.

Private security have only citizens arrest powers . They have no powers as such . So cannot caution , read someone their rights etc. so police still have to be involved in criminal cases . The private security / bailiffs are tigers with no teeth , mainly used for civil cases . Court empowered bailiffs and police , customs etc ( all goverment employed ) are the only people with full powers of arrest for criminal matters .

As for private health insurance etc . Even with cover you will end up in the most local a&e if you have an emergency / accident .

So one way or another the bill falls back onto the taxpayer .

fair enough! its a circle that is hard to break

I wouldn't have cared if I was being rude to them, but like Habakure, I always strive to be polite and helpful regardless of the situation. Being treated like *suitcase* for no reason isn't on. I'm just happy that I don't have to deal with them again for the foreseeable future.

When I was laid off, I signed on for 3 months. One time, I had to go in the day after my usual signing on day due to illness. The woman on the late desk was lovely and also no push over. I actually commented on, how nice she was and that I wished she was my usual point of call at the job centre.

The figure of £750k spent on portraits etc is actually since 1995, giving an average spend of just under £42k per year. This is still a lot but compared to other wastages by the civil service is a drop in the ocean. More half truth reporting by the media

Re PIs, even if they were able to investigate and interview you would still need the CPS to prosecute

Absolute horse manure. I'll believe this when you go around with a big sign round your neck saying 'I refuse ambulance treatment if I'm hurt, I refuse police assistance if I'm the victim of crime.'

If you don't want to make a contribution, swap with someone from Somailia who actually wants to be a part of our society and appreciates how good we have it.

Likewise, your response is horse *suitcase*. You can believe whatever you want. Just because you are too afraid to stand up for your own principles, doesn't mean others are.

So who paid for your education and schooling . Or did you opt out of that as well. If not who paid for it . ?

Admittedly, yes as a child I had ZERO input into state indoctrination. I'll give you that one. But I was only in state indoctrination centres for a short time. Parents saw the futileness of state education and instead I was home schooled. I learnt more in one year my the folks than I could possibly imagine compared with the state.

Ref rubbish collection etc. You may find this hard to believe but I don't have any rubbish to throw out. Any rubbish is incinerated. Oh and street lighting - I have a solar rechargable torch.

Admittedly, yes as a child I had ZERO input into state indoctrination. I'll give you that one. But I was only in state indoctrination centres for a short time. Parents saw the futileness of state education and instead I was home schooled. I learnt more in one year my the folks than I could possibly imagine compared with the state.

Sounds to me like you just swapped one type of indoctrination for another.

Likewise, your response is horse *suitcase*. You can believe whatever you want. Just because you are too afraid to stand up for your own principles, doesn't mean others are.

Excuse me?? Haha I AM standing up for my principles, thanks. Unfortunately my principles consist of amongst other things working hard, paying taxes and generally being a useful member of society and contributing to the country I live in which seems to put them in direct opposition to yours. That doesn't mean I LIKE England, I want to move to Canada but while I'm here, I'm going to play nice.

This insight into your back story explains so, so much, the staggering irony of you having a go at others' 'indoctrination' isn't even amusing, it's just spectacularly depressing.

Archived