rc helicopter target practice

midnight_sailor

Question for any rc helicopter (or quadcopter) enthusiasts here.

Can anyone suggest a good, cheap rc helicopter/quadcopter that can be easily programmed to fly a fixed path outdoors?

I'm thinking of tying a string to a pop can and attaching it to the copter, programming a few flight patterns into it, and then using it as target practice.

Anyone tried this before? Is there even an rc copter that can do this?

There are cf rotors and bodies for quad copters, at least this much I know about and are pretty much bb proof. There are also gps systems for rc helis so you can pre-program a flight path. But in all honesty, couldn't you just get a mate to wave around a long stick with a target sheet stuck on the end?

Not if you get those foil helium filled balloons - those things take a LOT of concentrated fire to take out with your average AEG - we used them as mobile respawn points in a game a while back, and even our sniper wasn't able to take them out with a shot - normally had to get up close and stab it (I carry a gerber style pair of pliers, so had a sharp enough point to rip through it).

You guys sound like you are planning a trip to sparkly-fun-land just to trash the place!

We used to use wheels with 2" metal plates attached around them, wrap a string around a disc attached to the wheel and a weight on the string, when you let the weight fall the wheel would turn.

Very difficult to hit at first, but good practace, especially with pistols.

Hello,

To get a RC multi rotor to follow a route path you'll need a GPS enabled controller. You could use a APM but it's an pain to program and get working right. It will still cost a minimum of £100 for the controller unit, and another £150 for the multi rotor bits.

A drop in unit that is easy to use will cost £200+ or you could buy a complete ready to fly model for £350ish

Last thing I would say is that it's a really bad idea to fly these over, or even near people. They will weigh at least a couple of kilos and can go 60mph, an out of control one will do a lot of damage to someone if they hit them.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived