Help me, Nerds of arnies, you're my only hope...

shmook

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me there is a peace of mind to be had from buying second hand, modern solid state electronics will either fail immediately or last well past obsolescence.

I prefer someone else to take that chance.

Plus that X220 was well over a thousand pounds not very long ago.  Depreciation on laptops is ridiculous.

If that is what your lady wants then good luck to you, there are plenty of pretty good laptops in that price region.

• 2 weeks later...

not using wine as steam and tf2 both run on linux as is.  I'm not massivly techy - I've installed stuff through terminal (command line) before but thats about it. I'm confident I could do it... if only I could find the packages!

edit:

pretty sure my hardware is compatible. its a fairly old netbook but more then enough to power tf2. I suppose there could be issues with my hardware but I won't find out until I actually try and install the drivers.

thanks

Responding to OP: stay away anything American-made, especially Dell and HP. Those things can cook eggs after a year or so. Stick with ASUS or Lenovo I'd say. For your price range, I'd suggest an ASUS Vivobook (fatter, budget version of their Zenbooks) or a Lenovo U-series (U310 or U410). They're budget, yet have pretty good features for the average user, and don't come with the massive headaches you get with Dell/HP. I don't want to recommend specific models though, since I don't know how demanding a PC your mother would need.

Having never had issues with Acer and ASUS I can't recommend them more.

Working with Lenovo at work, they are not perfect, neither are Dell or HP.

Plus Acer give reliable driver downloads that are easy unlike Dell and HP (again work experience, HP website is a bugger and Dell service tags don't work making it harder).

'FireKnife'

Don't need all that driver nonsense with Ubuntu.

You work with Thinkpads?  Could you "misplace" me an X230?

Sadly we are not as up to date as that :P.

Plus Ubuntu is fine if you know your stuff but the average users doesn't nor has that desire to replace what they think works for them.

I use Windows due to work purposes and because it is a common working system so I get used to it.

'FireKnife'

At work we are kind of tied in to them as the offer us ok enough deals.

Saying that many of the issues at my work is more down to the work force than the computers. I can't recall the last time I went a week without having to clean some sort of food / drink / nail polish off of someones keyboard or mouse :P.

'FireKnife'

For pure customer backup and service on their products I would highly reccomend toshiba products . . I have two of their laptops . And recently had a keyboard problem a year out of warranty . Contacted them and they sent a courier to pick it up . And return it a week later repaired with an apology letter and a 50 pound voucher. ,all this on a product a year out of warranty . Impressed is an understatement !!

Working with Lenovo at work, they are not perfect, neither are Dell or HP.

I think once Lenovo bought IBM's PC division, their products were top notch; now, maybe not so much?

Still a big proponent of the ASUS Vivobook. http://www.asus.com/in-search-of-incredible/us-en/asus-vivobook/

Lenovo have always felt to me like the kind of mid-runner of the group.

They are ok but nothing fancy but when they try to be fancy it doesn't really work.

This is in contrast to Dell who just try too hard to make things bright and look new but forget to actually put better hardware in their machines.

'FireKnife'

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/asus-vivobook-x200-11-6-touchscreen-laptop-21712964-pdt.html

try this.It comes in different colours and doesn't have any bells and whistles which fits your description. If you don't like windows 8 then a quick download of a classic shell (there are a few different ones) will make it look like windows 7.

Could perhaps do with a better processor but for that price you could do a lot worse.

Though I personally would not buy from PC World. From my experience they are the Zero One of computers. Fine to buy from but the second you ask a question or raise an issue they don't want to know.

'FireKnife'

Archived