In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war [WARHAMMER THREAD]

Hardcore1-6

Is there not a war hammer thread for all this nonsense.

I literally have no idea what you lot are talking about, and that makes me a sad panda :(

To detract from anyone being a sad panda.

Guardsmen eh? What a job - cruising the galaxy, getting dropped somewhere Emperor knows where only to be shot for cowardice on the eave of a battle to make an example of you.

Also, very much any other business 40K related.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As per other thread,

NNEEEEERRRRRRDDDDDSSSSS

Pfft, at least have the actual clip to go with it, duh:

But yes everyone is a nerd :P.

However given that I am soon to be moving away from Aberdeen where 40k was the only common hobby I did I feel my new 'tanks ahoy' isn't going to see much use. :(

'FireKnife'

Technically more 30K here, waiting for the Space Wolf heresy book to drop, got a bunch of Heresy models waiting remodelling and painting.

Its weird because I had a massive 40K army, 4 Land Raiders, 3 Whirlwinds, 3 Predators and loads of troops. Gave most of it away to new starters in the hobby (painting was terrible and I'm pretty sure I was going through a breakdown). Then moved to the expensive resin crack haha.

I've fiddled round with a Tau army in battlescribe, looking at one based around a counts as Shadowsun and lots of stealthy elements.

However nothing quite stirs the heart like masses of tanks.

Though Stunt no-one needs that many Autocannons, plus they do suck a bit when compared to other things.

'FireKnife'

You are right, of course but the rules won't let me have the right amount.  Which is more.

There is something very satisfying about being able to out - Dakka an orky army.

Also, I own over 100 D6 for a reason.

For example, deep-striking terminators (the backbone of my opponent's army) attacked and totally destroyed my command squad in one turn.

Unfortunately for my opponent the layout of the board meant that he was then in range of 30 autocannons and various lasguns.

It takes nearly 120 lasgun shots to kill 5 terminators, many less autocannon shots.

That happened.

He seemed shocked, like he though Guard just couldn't kill termies without lascannons.

Hmm 30k, if it wasn't for the very silly cost of the models and the fact that Forge World made the rules to play really only other 30k armies (they easily roll over most 40k stuff) I would look into it.

But at the moment I am doing my best to make alternative Inquisitorial Henchmen, no silly space apes for me, instead it is a wounded old Imperial Officer that is calling down weapon strikes and giving enhanced equipment to his unit. Much more believeable than a signet ring that fires mega-lasers and random, unexplained tinkering :P.

And Stunt that reminds me of when I tried Tau with Missile Pods everywhere. Only one army ever managed to make it into combat with me and they promptly lost. Though for all those Autocannons just how would you crack AV14?

'FireKnife'

Straken. :P

And I'm not sure how the 30K lists match up against 40K. I know they suggest house ruling some things for non 30K races though I hope they also release say Eldar and Ork rules sets, as these races are known to exist.

The cool thing is with some magnets I can end up using them as a 40K army too hopefully, so things should be more balanced.

Sad the Kasrkin models were pulled. Still hoping they'll see a rerelease ideally as multi part plastics as I'd buy at least a Company's worth plus Valks for them. I can understand they want to push the Scions kits, which I like but they're not Kasrkin. The alternative is FW hostile environment kits and modding hellguns somehow. I want my Kasrkin 7th airbourne. XD

I was a huge fan of the Inquisitor spin off game - the detailed models and the RPG element was fantastic. Salamander's Space Marine with Thunder hammer as a final campaign boss; psychic sword wielding fantatical Inquisitor and a grizzled guard demolitions man cutting about the galaxy hitch hiking and working as bodyguards to gather int.. Loved it.

Sadly, i've no idea where my Guard army is.. I'd named every soldier individually (Sentinel section named after Top Gun characters with the correct helmets), and if they made a spectacular shot or survived a battle converted them in turn (The RPG armed Veteran that took out a Chaos sorcerer with one Krak missle adopted a sorcerer half helmet as a shoulder pad)..

Straken. :P

And I'm not sure how the 30K lists match up against 40K. I know they suggest house ruling some things for non 30K races though I hope they also release say Eldar and Ork rules sets, as these races are known to exist.

The cool thing is with some magnets I can end up using them as a 40K army too hopefully, so things should be more balanced.

Sad the Kasrkin models were pulled. Still hoping they'll see a rerelease ideally as multi part plastics as I'd buy at least a Company's worth plus Valks for them. I can understand they want to push the Scions kits, which I like but they're not Kasrkin. The alternative is FW hostile environment kits and modding hellguns somehow. I want my Kasrkin 7th airbourne. XD

Straken is meh now. Relentless for the squad and only AP2 when he Smashes. Yarrick is the better bet.

Well I have been told that 30k is very strong compared to 40k and only the top armies (Tau, Grey Knights and Eldar) can hold their own against them at best.

You could just spam buy them on eBay as they go for cheap-ish. Though that does remind me, I need to find out how many bits are on the command kit for Veteran spare building.

Sadly, i've no idea where my Guard army is.. I'd named every soldier individually (Sentinel section named after Top Gun characters with the correct helmets), and if they made a spectacular shot or survived a battle converted them in turn (The RPG armed Veteran that took out a Chaos sorcerer with one Krak missle adopted a sorcerer half helmet as a shoulder pad)..

I do recall doing this ages ago with my assault units after I had painted them. They got a marking or a blood splatter for each unit wiped out. But that was back when I cared about painting. Now all my armies are a subtle shade of 'plastic grey'. :P

'FireKnife'

Used to give my opponant a back story as I placed each unit on the board - "This platoon once took down a unit of Ork boyz in CC" led by an Lt, now Captain and moved across to company commander. The Junior Commissar attached to the armoured infantry was promoted up the ranks, following a successful rally and counter attack of the armoured platoon.. Not to mention my tank ace (inclusive of 'drive me closer' guy on the top who appeared after the 20th kill)

My army doesn't even get names. Seeing as this is my reserve hobby I just chuck assembled models on the table with a balance that can handle AV14, 2+ saves and blobs and hope for the best.

However I do like converting, but that is the same for all hobbies I do (none of my 1911s are box stock etc).

Saying that I do seem to end up playing people that lack tactical knowledge and often the games end up with it being a dice fest. The few players like me that want to have fun, don't care about winning and love stupid rules (the anti-grav ones we had were hilarious) seem to have formed our on little interest group.

'FireKnife'

What the flip is 30k? I'm out of touch....

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=horus+heresy

and

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/The_Horus_Heresy#&panel1-1

tl;dr Very expensive resin models made by Forge World to re-enact the Heresy. Rules that are full of typical FW power and some very hilarious re-issues of classic looking minis in resin too.

Also allows you to field the Primarks Primarchs and they all base have ten Special Rules that most other characters dream of (they do cost 400pts+ and £50+).

'FireKnife'

And Stunt that reminds me of when I tried Tau with Missile Pods everywhere. Only one army ever managed to make it into combat with me and they promptly lost. Though for all those Autocannons just how would you crack AV14?

'FireKnife'

Meltavets.

The best thing about them is that they can often disappear in a sea of dudes and the opponent forgets they are there.

Meltavets.

The best thing about them is that they can often disappear in a sea of dudes and the opponent forgets they are there.

Or you can just take a bajillion of them and he can't kill them all. Saying that my Spanish Inquisition (it is lead by Coteaz so yeah the name has stuck) relies of orbital strikes, a Vindicare and some space monkeys to get rid of AV14 (if it wasn't for AV14 neither of them would be in the army).

However did manage to squeeze in two games last night against one opponent. He had a weird as screws list with BAngels and Ultramarines. Basically combining super powerful characters with units so they greatly benefited (giving Feel No Pain to Centurions, having one armies psykers buff the other etc). First game he gave up after two turns of shooting from me landed him with half of his army gone and the second time it went down to ending on just the right turn for him to get a draw (I had troops he couldn't harm all of 5 inches from an objective and enough guns to bring to bear on his one wound Captain to finish him outright). So all in all I think it went well :P.

'FireKnife'

I also play Marines, but its a very tactically demanding force, so I wanted an army that was more fun to play.

Wait, Marines? I am confused by this statement. :P

However I got my parts today and the Spanish Inquisition is complete, yay. Now to spend my boring evening looking up the Psychic power names in Spanish.

'FireKnife'

My particular army, which is themed around the last surviving half company of a dead Chapter, was built along the single rules of no Terminators, Centurions, Scouts, Bikes or vehicles. All these were assumed lost with the rest of the chapter. Basically limiting it to a traditional power armoured ground force, rather than just having superhard units that turn up and wreck everything in their path.

I didn't want to just build a marine army full of nails units, because it would be both easy and also unrealistic.

My particular army, which is themed around the last surviving half company of a dead Chapter, was built along the single rules of no Terminators, Centurions, Scouts, Bikes or vehicles. All these were assumed lost with the rest of the chapter. Basically limiting it to a traditional power armoured ground force, rather than just having superhard units that turn up and wreck everything in their path.

I didn't want to just build a marine army full of nails units, because it would be both easy and also unrealistic.

I tried a similar thing with a few other armies, focusing on the balanced rather than 'I win' units. However with some armies like the new Tau you can try all you want to balance them but people still just moan about them.

Personally I like to play against people that have done things for a laugh, not just to win so the idea of a limited Space Marine army could be fun.

'FireKnife'

Space Wolves got hit with the "OP as heck" tirade of hate with the 5th ed codex. I'll admit some of the things didn't make too much sense, Grey Hunters being so cheap and in my opinion far better than Tacs. Blood Claws being the same price though didn't make too much sense.

But Long Fang and Rune Priest spam? No thanks. Jump packers and Wolf Priests and variety ftw.

Are Tau really that powerful or mostly hype?

and if they made a spectacular shot or survived a battle converted them in turn (The RPG armed Veteran that took out a Chaos sorcerer with one Krak missle adopted a sorcerer half helmet as a shoulder pad)..

In the group I played with, you'd have to give up a trophy when you lost. Some people did like you and modified the individual models, I chose to create a large based loot pile for my dwarf army, and a trophy wall for my marines.

I almost regret giving it all away. Could have sold it all for mega bucks.

Are Tau really that powerful or mostly hype?

Oh God yes. I even tried to make an army without all the cool extras like Riptides, characters and even basic things like Broadsides and the only things it didn't steamroll was those typical tournament abuse armies made of rule bends and other such things. It got to the point that the only people Tau players would get a game with where with such armies.

I went to sell my small amount of Tau and they were sold in minutes for a good price, simply based on how powerful they are and nothing else.

Admittedly every single 6th edition codex has some powerful stuff in it (Heldrake spam, Standard of Devastation and Ravenwing bikers, Wraith armies, Marines and Inquisition spam etc) but the Tau take the biscuit, I even sold mine off as I was annoyed with all the 'oh I am not playing Tau, they are too powerful'.

'FireKnife'

Archived