In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war [WARHAMMER THREAD]

Hardcore1-6

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried a similar thing with a few other armies, focusing on the balanced rather than 'I win' units. However with some armies like the new Tau you can try all you want to balance them but people still just moan about them.

Personally I like to play against people that have done things for a laugh, not just to win so the idea of a limited Space Marine army could be fun.

'FireKnife'

To be honest, it is still perfectly capable of winning, if they are played properly and you actually play tactically. But you could lose in the deployment phase if you don't think about what you are doing. But I enjoy it, and I particularly enjoy defeating cheese armies with it.

To be honest, it is still perfectly capable of winning, if they are played properly and you actually play tactically. But you could lose in the deployment phase if you don't think about what you are doing. But I enjoy it, and I particularly enjoy defeating cheese armies with it.

I am sure, aside from if you tried to fail, most armies could hold there own against the average and even cheesy opponent.

However I am not sure about how my new (and now only) army will fair, it relies a lot on supporting each unit with other units and psychic powers so could be very interesting to see if it has become one of those 'goes well, then it goes very well or goes wrong and then horribly wrong'. Personally I prefer that as either way it is funny.

'FireKnife'

... one of those 'goes well, then it goes very well or goes wrong and then horribly wrong'. Personally I prefer that as either way it is funny.

'FireKnife'

When they're good, they're very good. But when they're bad, they're be- OH GOD WHAT HAPPENED TO JENKINS? YOU SONUVABITCH!"

When they're good, they're very good. But when they're bad, they're be- OH GOD WHAT HAPPENED TO JENKINS? YOU SONUVABITCH!"

Reminds me of my old cultists blobs. They could either get stuck in the open and cut down by accurate Space Marines or go rampaging around a Guard army with the lowly Champion becoming a Daemon Prince and crushing everything.

Though it wasn't much of a tactical force but fun to see how long it lasted now that most things are random (charging for example).

'FireKnife'

I am sure, aside from if you tried to fail, most armies could hold there own against the average and even cheesy opponent.

However I am not sure about how my new (and now only) army will fair, it relies a lot on supporting each unit with other units and psychic powers so could be very interesting to see if it has become one of those 'goes well, then it goes very well or goes wrong and then horribly wrong'. Personally I prefer that as either way it is funny.

'FireKnife'

Yes, that is largely how my games go, however, in 1500 points I don't really have enough models, so just bulk out my squads to ten man, and then promote the captain, some of the best games have been my losses, when the Chapter Master, Giapsye Flash, tends to get his entire army wiped out and then go rampaging around in the enemy battle line like some jump pack equipped, beserk lunatic. Having in one game, single handedly wiped out a tactical squad, a devastator squad and an entire squadron of landspeeders, he has earned a deserved reputation.

Well given that this might help understand my force for those of you that know the Codexes here is my average 1,500pts list:

Imperial Guard:

Tank Commander: Pask in Punisher, Executioner, (both with Heavy Bolter Sponsors, Camo Net, Dozer Blade): 445

Veterans: 6 Lasguns, 3 Grenade Launchers, Bolter, Carapace: 91

Veterans: 6 Lasguns, 2 Grenade Launchers, Plasma Gun, Bolter, Carapace: 101

Executioner: Heavy Bolter Sponsors, Camo Net, Dozer Blade: 195

Grey Knights-ish:

Inquisitor Coteaz: 100

Henchmen: 7 Acolytes with Storm Bolter and Carapace, 2 Jokaero, 2 Acolytes with Storm Bolter, 1 Acolyte: 165

Henchmen: 7 Acolytes with Storm Bolter and Carapace, 2 Jokaero: 147

Vindicare Assassin: 145

Inquisition:

Inquisitor: Psyker (ML1), Force Weapon (Sword): 55

Inquisitor: Psyker (ML1), Force Weapon (Sword): 55

Total: 1499pts

Gives me a bit of everything from Marine killing plasma stuff to horde stopping with the Punisher and Acolytes. The Vindicare is only really there to take care of AV14 (read Land Raiders) and the odd hidden character that almost every Marine player has.

<snip>

Reminds me of my old Ork Nobz army. The whole thing could go so well with the Tankbustas blowing up transports and the Nobz shredding them a new one or it could have them in the open with a blown up Trukk getting cut down by some stupid Grey Knights and Lascannons. As for where I play well given that Aberdeen has the third biggest store in the UK that isn't Warhammer World and a large upstairs gaming area I play there most of the time, means you get a reasonably healthy mix of players that are not bloody kids. :P

'FireKnife'

My speed freeks burna boyz were very much the same, ranging from getting into the perfect position to put all 4 burner templates over an enemy platoon (killing <15 in one round) to getting hit by a snipers lucky glancing hit and spending the rest of the game walking through heavy bolter shells....

I also played the Inquisitor NLWG, and it's probably the worst game I've ever played, but It can be made to be fun... by removing 90% of the rules...

I wanted to do a set of games that all tied in, but on ALL 40k scales.

BFG fleet to get the army to the planet, Epic to open up a hole in a battle line to get a force through, 40K to exploit that hole and get the force to the objective, then finally Inquisitor to have the objective taken care of.

Would have taken some doing, but nobody else fancied giving it a go with me.

Orks are the epitome of a fun army though. Most of what they do goes horribly wrong and the rest is usually hilarious for you or the opponent (or both).

Some armies just feel a tad bland or predictable but with the random amount of Ork stuff they are always the best army to face. I do miss my Nobz army that kept on tanking its way through all manner of things in one game (surviving 15 flamer templates, taking 45 hits and somehow only losing a single W2 Nob) while dying to bolter fire the next. I even added a silly squad of 10 Nobz into another list and basically had them smash there way from one corner to the other, they emerged with the attached Warboss, Painboy and a Klaw Nob left, barely, but it was hilarious to see them go.

BFG fleet to get the army to the planet, Epic to open up a hole in a battle line to get a force through, 40K to exploit that hole and get the force to the objective, then finally Inquisitor to have the objective taken care of.

Would have easily joined in on that. Reminds me of a game where first a typical 40k match was played with Chaos defending a gun battery and for every turn that the battery was uncontested the Chaos player got a free shot on the Imperial Fleet in the BFG game that followed on from it. It made for a good idea and ended up with a massive wipe out for the Chaos. Was back in the Eye of Terror campaign, a worldwide campaign with an awesome attached Codex that I wish was still fully 'game legal'.

'FireKnife'

I DID THIS!

Although none of us knew how to Epic so that was terrible, but the rest of it was pretty... well... epic.

The Epic wasn't epic, everything else was WTF!

TBF, I don't know how to Epic either. :P

I know that you get little tiny Marines on about 5 to a base and if playing the classic 90s Epic you get some of the most awesome looking eyesores of models that you wish you could build a four foot high version of for regular games.

Sorry I am just away to put on my rose tinted glasses, pick up a 90s copy of White Dwarf when metal models were about £3.50, little was plastic, everything was red and WD and Eavy Metal admitted that they didn't all use GW sanctioned stuff all the tme as some of it was just *suitcase*. :D

'FireKnife'

BattleFleet Gothic is the only GW game system I really play anymore.

40k got ridiculous with it's changing rules. I'm not spending £40 for rulebook, £10 for codex and untold scores of £££ on new model times every three years.

(Does anybody fancy playing some 3E with me?)

Nobody really plays Epic anyway (but we used card strips for each unit when we did) And it confused us because we hadn't studied the rules properly before hand.

Inquisitor is the most tedious approximation of an RPG I've ever seen *One single shot can take 10 separate rolls to complete)

Dark heresy is rather good, an actual RPG rather than a NLWG, but my friends play so many different RPG systems, and we have better homebrews than DH.

Aeronaughtica Imperialis is a clone of other hex based fighter games, but the turn sequence just ends up with you circling eachother and never getting to shoot, you need at least two wings (6 planes) each before a fight actually happens.

[edit]

I forgot GorkaMorka and Necromunda, (Basically the same game system if you ask me) We found that these systems work perfectly as the combat side of an RPG, as well as being reasonably fun for one of skirmishes.

I loved Third Edition.

It had some of the better allocation rolls and many things just made sense once you ignore the Rhino Rush and the charge after shooting Rapid Fire.

However the cash issue is always going to be there but you can easily cut out the costs of the books (they charge £30 minimum for a digital codex, yeah I think I will be paying £0.02 of electricity to download it thanks) and the models can be had on eBay, proxied or converted from another plastic kit which costs a lot less.

Some will moan that is not helping the hobby and in the past I would have agreed but the fact they haven't taken any innovations forward and are charging over the odds compared to other countries makes me less inclined to agree now. Let the spoilt children have their parents pay the cost so the rest of us can enjoy the hobby. Not fair but sadly that is the way it is.

'FireKnife'

I *just* missed 2nd ed when I started playing 3rd ed we only had the army lists in the rulebook to work from, no codexs.

The vets at the time called 2nd ed "hero hammer" because special characters were prokenly powerful.

I remember the days of 2nd like it was yesterday!

10 different kinds of dice, about 9 different templates! being able to equip each member of a squad completely differently to each other squad mate,

flip me the games were long then!

but your heroes did smash stuff in, and could be made damn near impossible to kill, and vehicles were super complicated, and when killed the crew would dismount and fight for you as well.

I started playing before Tyranids even had a codex!

I heard this ancient tale from 2nd edition times, one army was so hilariously maxed that every model fit inside their transport vehicle.

An army of 10 ubermarines in a land raider.

You can just imagine their stats, their skills, their kit. And the land raider itself was a beast of a machine, with all the upgrades.

The enemies leader had a vortex grenade, and swallowed the raider, complete with its overpriced passengers, in a single action.

Yep, could well believe that. Tried some old 2nd Edition rules using modern models and while fun it is a totally different game.

Also managed to get the 'Spanish Inquisition' out for two games today.

One was against a Chaos army made of all kinds of bits put together a bit haphazardly. Managed to glance a Land Raider to death and that was about the only real issue. The rest was close combat stuff that had to walk to my tanks and men meaning not one made it there.

The other was against a tank and transport, proper mech Guard list with four tanks along with two Veterans and a Command Squad all in Chimeras. Each turn saw me blowing up two tanks using a Vindicare and some Lascannons. After the end of the third turn my opponent conceded after killing allof seven of my men. It felt rather harsh to be honest as hit after hit was just too dead on for it not to be luck.

However both were fun games with fun players and we did have a laugh doing them, that is really what I play for. :D

'FireKnife'

I miss Epic games.  Specifically 2nd Ed Space Marine. My imperial guard list took all sorts of people by surprise. Yes I've got tanks and arty, what's that? Oh the huge amount of rough riders, bikes and land speeders I'm unpacking? You'll see :E

Oh look 3/4 of my army is in your deployment zone after one movement phase. Oh and that noise is 24 deathstrike barrage and vortex missiles inbound on your position.  Questions? :E

My best 2nd edition story, I was playing SM, my friend chaos, I had a lovely beardy army, including a terminator squad worth about 500pts, one chap had a cyclone missile launcher. Back in the day they were rather "temperamental", he got shot, survived, but that caused all 12 missiles in the launcher to discharge, destroying about 80% of my army... His leader, a chaos lord with a daemon sword, combat drugs and displacer field was caught in the blast but of course survived! And the only squad of his I managed to kill came back with a strategy card.

I hate dice...

Archived