Socks, yes...socks.

Tw1tch

Hi good people of Arnies. This might be a bit of an odd one but I really need some help regarding socks.

Basically I have to wear steel toe cap boots at work as I deal with deliveries and kegs/casks in the cellar. I end up wearing my boots for about 12 hours a day, five days a week.

Only problem is with the thick boot socks (I tend to use the Primark ones atm, some from Sports Direct too) and my own physiology I sweat quite a bit, which leaves me with unpleasant feeling feet. I have a horrible feeling it might also be what's contributing to the regular falling apart of my inner soles and the heel of my boots.

Does anyone suffer something similar? And if so have you found socks or other handy tricks to combat this pain in the backside? I'm not worried about investing a "considerable" amount of money into socks if they help.

Cheers,

Mike

I use Careplus socks in the summer and they are quite good, and not too expensive. Also, if you have boots with leather (rather than Gore-tex) insides it helps to tend to the inside during maintenance as well, ie use leather cream or some other fatty, gooey substance made for leather boot maintenance. 

I would look at getting Merino wool light hiking socks. I used to wear then when I wore leather steel-toed boots for roughly the same time you do and they do a good of preventing foot rot as unlike cotton socks, they don't hold moisture next to your skin. Also, have you thought about changing your socks out at lunch or during break time for the really hot days?

-Piano

I highly recommend merino wool socks. I have fairly sweaty feet as well, so I try to wear wool socks with all of my non-ventilated shoes (basically all my non-athletic shoes). Wool is excellent at wicking away sweat, and unlike synthetic fibers, it does an excellent job of neutralizing odors.

I prefer fully padded, hiking merino wool socks when wearing boots. The extra padding on the socks ensures that my feet are snug inside of my boot.

If possible, try to purchase a good set of wool socks. In the U.S., there is a brand called "Darn Tough" that makes excellent wool socks. They have a lifetime warranty on them, so if you ever need to replace them, Darn Tough will send you a new pair for free. However, they are over $20 US a pair. They are well worth it though. I also have a few Smartwool socks that I bought for about $15 a pair, and all of them lost their shape after the first wash. I never wash my Darn Tough socks according to the instructions, but they've held their shape and quality for the past several years. After carefully washing the socks according to the instructions, my Smartwool socks lost their shape and started shedding wool fluff like crazy.

The falling apart is due to you wearing them 12 hours a day. Steelies don't last more than a year really.

I wear tesco work socks in my boots for work, but airsoft etc I wear bridgedale padded walking socks :)

(I was so hoping this was going to be a MLP thread)

I wear normal socks, if I know I'll be on my feet for a long time, I wear two pairs (sock on a sock)

I always keep a pair of socks in my rucksack, in a waterproof bag. Now, granted, I'm not on my feet for as long as you are, so they rarely get used, and I normally only use them when my first pair of socks gets wet (keep your feet dry!).

You lukcy bastards that can just go and buy whatever socks you want ¬_¬

I wear steelies for work (parts department), but due to my boat-sized feet, I really struggle to find decent 'work' or hiking socks.

Anybody know of any in size UK 15? (EU 50)

You lukcy bastards that can just go and buy whatever socks you want ¬_¬

I wear steelies for work (parts department), but due to my boat-sized feet, I really struggle to find decent 'work' or hiking socks.

Anybody know of any in size UK 15? (EU 50)

One of my squadmates in the Academy had size 50 feet, there was basically only one brand of hiking boots that made anything beyond size 48, Lowa I think. Might wanna have a look at their sock range, if they have any. 

Size 15?!!

Your only option is those hessian sacks kids use to race in on sports day...

:P

Tell me about it :(

One of my squadmates in the Academy had size 50 feet, there was basically only one brand of hiking boots that made anything beyond size 48, Lowa I think. Might wanna have a look at their sock range, if they have any. 

Hmm, cheers. I'll have a check.

Are the.boots suplied by the company? If not, I know of the excistence of safety sandals. Yes, sandals. With hardend thick plastic tips and soles. Lighter, obviously ventilated and safe for replacing normal leather safetyboots. I'm on holyday so 'fraid I can't supply you with links.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Was quite surprised at the recommendations of wool but will have to give it a shot, wouldn't have it down for keeping me co. Boots aren't company supplied but I know my manager would kick off with sandals (she seems to know everything, like when I used to wear cargo trousers instead of black jeans yet the apron hid my pockets).

Also wouldn't mind it if the boots lasted a year but seems they survive about 3-4 months for me. Admittedly I don't spend stupid amounts, £25 boots from shoe zone but the last time I dropped more (£60) I got some supposedly slip resistant boots that had no grip.

Cheers for the advice guys. I'll have to give the wool a go and here's hoping it beats these cotton socks.

Was quite surprised at the recommendations of wool but will have to give it a shot, wouldn't have it down for keeping me co. Boots aren't company supplied but I know my manager would kick off with sandals (she seems to know everything, like when I used to wear cargo trousers instead of black jeans yet the apron hid my pockets).

Also wouldn't mind it if the boots lasted a year but seems they survive about 3-4 months for me. Admittedly I don't spend stupid amounts, £25 boots from shoe zone but the last time I dropped more (£60) I got some supposedly slip resistant boots that had no grip.

Cheers for the advice guys. I'll have to give the wool a go and here's hoping it beats these cotton socks.

Wait, they make you pay for your own safety boots?

BZZZT. WRONG.

Personal Protective Equipment at Work Regulations 1992, regulation 4:

Every employer shall ensure that suitable personal protective equipment is provided to his employees who may be exposed to a risk to their health or safety while at work except where and to the extent that such risk has been adequately controlled by other means which are equally or more effective.

Backed up with Section 9 of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974: no charge can be made to the worker for the provision of PPE which is used only at work.

(all above taken from http://www.hse.gov.uk/contact/faqs/ppe.htm )

Don't spend any more of your money on safety boots. If work want you to wear them, they HAVE to pay for them. if you wanted to 'upgrade' from the cheapest of cheap boots that they'd supply, i'm sure you would work something out with them (I've done this previously - work would've provided boots but they were cheap and rubbish (due to giant canoe feet) and I paid the difference to get some decent ones.

Using foot or talcum powder might help ameliorate your sweaty trotter issue, but as has been said above you can't really do much to stop your work footwear disintegrating due to the amount of use they see.

You could also try waterproof socks like Sealskinz, they should keep your shoes dry but won't be so good for your feet. It's that or a decent pair of clogs, good hard-wearing Dutch clogs.

Archived