Taking recommendations for my first gun/s :)

JediArron

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys, I really like the look of the British DPM camo:

However, don't you think it's weird how this is almost a formal shirt instead of the buttons being covered up and making it look less informal?

http://www.military1st.co.uk/bshi-mil-com-soldier-95-shirt-dpm.html

I'm also thinking about buying 2 military uniform sets... the urban camo uniform is sexy.

expensive glasses like Wiley... ...break. The Wileys cost £60 and the frame shattered with a sub-350fps shot from about 30m away...

Buy what fits best, from a reputable shooting, airsoft or cycling shop then shoot them a few times to check before you wear them in the field. 

Ballistic lenses are rated for one impact - they're designed to withstand one impact and then be disposed of and replaced. Much like a bike helmet.

...this is almost a formal shirt...

That's because for field work we wear Smocks or UBACs. Both of which are availible in DPM for quite cheap prices.

EDIT: I went and googled some for you:

Smock

http://www.militarymart.co.uk/index.php?_a=product&product_id=6

UBACs

http://www.cadetdirect.com/viper-spec-ops-woodland-dpm-ubacs

Ballistic lenses are rated for one impact - they're designed to withstand one impact and then be disposed of and replaced. Much like a bike helmet.

That's because for field work we wear Smocks or UBACs. Both of which are availible in DPM for quite cheap prices.

EDIT: I went and googled some for you:

Smock

http://www.militarymart.co.uk/index.php?_a=product&product_id=6

UBACs

http://www.cadetdirect.com/viper-spec-ops-woodland-dpm-ubacs

I see.  Thanks.

The thing is, the uniforms on: http://www.military1st.co.uk/clothing-combat-uniforms/ are mainly informal or less formal and similar to the first link you linked.

However, they only have 1 British DPM one of a shirt.

I'm not sure what green one to get, there's so many camos.  I know t hat I definitely want a set of Urban camo though!

Well the thing about airsoft is unless you're running with a team or a reinactment you can wear what ever you want.

I wear MTP colour tiger stripe, because I can. If you want to wear urban kit, wear urban kit!

Common gear you'll see is MTP PCS as that's the 'in' surplus kit right now. DPM has been flooded on the market since the early 90s so there's loads about.

I'm not sure what [...] to get, there's so many camos. I know t hat I definitely want a set of Urban camo though!

It might be worth finding out first whether your society plays in a particular uniform and will require you to do the same (unlikely, but possible) and/or whether or not you're actually going to play in any urban sites before investing in a couple of new outfits.

By the looks of all the sites you'll spend most your life outside in the UK so a cheap set of DPM's is going to sort that all out fast, ad a boonie and you're set for under £25 unless your all funny shaped that is but rememeber to add to that the boots and eye pro as they are also a must!!

Geez, first of all why is everyone recomending JediArron "brand name" goggles? Good ol' knock off ESS or Marui goggles (BattleAxe Version) should be good enough. I highly recomend X800 knockoff goggles. They are anti-fog, fits comfortably and very popular at the airsoft store I work at. Only $20 CAD!

Second of all, how come no one recomended him a gun or a brand? Alright, I may not be the best when it comes to Airsoft, but I know a thing or two about some guns and brands.

For starters, get the ARES Amoeba line of AEGs. They are the most popular at the store I work at (almost all sold out!) and are relatively cheap at around less than $250 CAD or less.

If you don't like polymer recievers, you can go with Dboys or Cyma. Also, ARES is known for making excellent G36s.

Dboys make Tokyo Marui clones and so does Cyma. Cyma has over 10 years of experience and their line of AK and MP5s are great.

Cyma MP5s = good internals and they're relatively cheap at around less than $285 CAD.

Cyma AK47/74/AKM/Tactical = 10 years of making AKs and how can you not call them great? Version 3 gearbox = low maintainance.

Cyma G36 = Only $165 CAD but I don't know if it's good or not. Entire body is ABS plastic.

Dboys M4 varients = Full trades, full metal construction, good internals

Dboys AK47/74 = Clone of TM AK but I heard they're good internal wise. Solid construction, excellent wood construction.

Dboys SCAR = $265 CAD, excellent everything.

That's all I got so far. Hope that helped. Also, vests are expensive, so just get a $20 chest rig for starters. You DON'T want to get cheap vests as they might break easily and you can't customize them. Vests made by Condor is a no no as they don't sew properly. Another thing, avoid G&G at all cost. I forgot why, but my co-worker hates G&G A LOT. I think it's because they use cheap internals.

Er... Look, I don't mean any offence here, but are you joking? You're suggesting that he spend more money to buy fake eye-protection of completely unknown provenance (risking his sight) rather than spend a smaller amount of money to buy real eye protection from a real manufacturer with real quality control that adheres to real standards? Are you aware that the last thing you should be cutting financial corners on is your eye protection, or did that pass you by? Especially when the Bollés I linked are a grand total of £11?

Your next suggestion is that a total beginner buys a recently-released (unproven) gun with new-to-market (unproven) and proprietary gearbox parts from that noted manufacturer of reliable airsoft guns (JediArron, this is hardcore sarcasm), ARES? Or worse, a Dboys SCAR, which from what little I haven't blotted out is one of the most poorly-engineered airsoft guns of recent times? And you top this off by suggesting that he avoid G&G "at all costs" because your "co-worker hates G&G A LOT" when the vast majority of this forum's members will attest to their Combat Machines being amongst the most affordable, cost-effective and reliable starter guns available? I mean, some of CYMA's newer stuff is OK and Dboys' M4s aren't the worst guns ever made, but I don't really know where to begin with the rest of this.

And the crowning jewel atop this gigantic coiled turd of awful advice is that your signature contains the phrase "lolis everywhere" and you list your location as "Loli Island"?

Is this some sort of super-elaborate troll? Have I missed something?

The store I work at have been selling knock off goggles for more than half a decade. All customers who bought our goggles went home with a happy smile on their faces. If you're paranoid, then fine with me. But my knockoff Marui goggles are working just fine and there have been no sign of crackage. Yep, there is no price difference. You win on that one.

Amoeba guns are being sold like hot cakes. So many people buy our Amoeba guns and they're all very happy with it. They especially like the quick spring change feature. The gearbox may not be the best but it shoots great. PERIOD.

Our Dboys SCAR has also been selling like hot cakes. They're selling so well that my boss have recently ordered in 20+ more of them. They're reliable, trust me.

G&G internals sucks. My co-worker has been fixing guns since a decade ago and all the G&Gs he attempted to fix had bad internals. I take his word over yours.

Finally, you shall not insult my ship girls. Especially the 4 lolis in my sig who are all Imperial Japanese Navy warships. They are currently high profile characters in Japan.

Also, we didn't immediately start telling him which gun to buy because getting a gun before you even play your first game is in general a bad idea. Much better to go to a few skirmishes, see if you even like airsoft, try a few AEGs, then pick.

Also, we didn't immediately start telling him which gun to buy because getting a gun before you even play your first game is in general a bad idea.

Am I the only person here who bought 3 decent AEGs and a gas pistol before my first skirmish? :unsure: I bought an ICS MP5 SD6, TM G3 SG1 (from Airsoft Dynamics, at a low price, and it arrived next day at that), TM MP5k PDW and KWA G19. 9 Years later I still have all but the original TM G3 SG1 which has been replaced with a newer one plus a Classic Army G3 SG1 and another ICS MP5 SD3, I've had lots of other AEGs over the last 9 years but the majority have been sold as I didn't like them as much.

I don't think buying a gun before a skirmish in principle is such a bad idea, however it's important to note that none of those first ones were quick decisions or impulse buys, every single one was researched extensivly for 6 - 12 months before I splashed the cash, had I bought on less research I'd have ended up with an M4 of some kind with all sorts of bits bolted to it. With the VCRA UK players havel ittle choice though and I don't think that's such a bad thing if it forces players to make a more informed decision on their first guns.

TL:DR, I don't think buying a gun before the first skirmish is such a bad idea, buying a gun without doing extensive research before your first skirmish is.

I  dont think you are teh only one dude, years ago when I did my first few games I bought a TM M4 and a G17 though was a long time ago!

TL:DR, I don't think buying a gun before the first skirmish is such a bad idea, buying a gun without doing extensive research before your first skirmish is.

Sound advice

Its weird but I also had 2 aegs, full Multicam and a Guarder Rav before my first game, people were like "what if you dont like it..." oh how I laughed at that, not like dressing up army and running around in the woods shooting people, I dont think thats possible!!!  I would always advise someone to go play a few games first, I should be in middle management with advice like that, do as I say not what I do!

I must admit pre-VCRA it was all a lot easier and I had my own gun for the first of my games back in 2006.

Saying that it didn't cost me much to buy it and I knew I could sell it on if I didn't like it. Now that we have all this 'defence' stuff it makes it a bit tougher even if you know you want to play more as then you still have to wait (buying a two-tone is not even a halfway decent compromise in my eyes).

Still hiring and borrowing does give you a chance to try before you buy as it were and seeing as how it has become the main option really I would say it is best to make the most of it :).

'FireKnife'

Yeah now you don't really have the choice haha. I'd say it's still better overall, though I have to say it only took one skirmish to convince me! Though the VCRA coming into effect the day after definitely influenced my immediate AEG purchase...

I think back then you could make impulse buys instead of researching maybe as much as you should have or do these days whilst you wait so I guess to a certain extent, although blasphemous, the VCRA did have a little good impact there but on the flip side a lot of walk in store disappeared too

Saying that the VCR-A did some good is like saying that 'Chairman Mao was a horrible, evil dictator of China, but he lead to lots of hilarious cat memes' ;).

That two months for most is still just an annoyance and will always be but I do think some people take it as a chance to get to know things. Others do just flat out ignore it and then buy impulsively when they can but they will always do so, even if you said 'you can only have a maximum of 5 guns' they would still have one they use and four that look nice :P.

I must admit I do try my best to buy knowing that I will use it. My PPK/S is my only real impulse purchase and even that I have tried to make sure it gets to a game some times.

'FireKnife'

Saying that the VCR-A did some good is like saying that 'Chairman Mao was a horrible, evil dictator of China, but he lead to lots of hilarious cat memes' ;).

That two months for most is still just an annoyance and will always be but I do think some people take it as a chance to get to know things.

Which is exactly my point and what I have done which as it turned out has saved me a fortune by not rushing out and immediately buying an Ares/Umrex G36 which would've been a horror story!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Thanks to everyones advice on that one by the way ;)

Though there is a really nice 1911A1 in the 'for sale' section I have my eye on :D

And there is some very funny cat memes out there hahaha

Oh god he's back..........................................

No I think you have it pretty spot on dude. Ares known for making a great G36....... :headbutt:  says it all!!!

I don't think I've said anything wrong except for the goggles part. I see nothing wrong with the G36 by Ares. In fact, I thought it was pretty solid when I tested it out on the range. I haven't even seen anyone complain about it when I met with customers who had the Ares G36. So in all honesty, I don't understand what's so bad about that gun.

I don't understand why people are opposing what I've said. I find it especially weird that you guys would say the Dboys SCAR is horribly engineered even though I had customers ask for it a couple of times when they were sold out. THose SCARs run out fast and they're usually gone in 2 months if not 1 month.

Also, I listed the guns and brands here in case JediArron comes back to review the thread. Basically, answer his question before he asks the question.

Finally, I'm not trolling. I'm being honest here.

Dude look everyone is allowed their opinion but when yours is the opposite of everyone elses and the experience of so so many and so many years then what do you expect but for people to "oppose" your supreme knowledge and thats not even mentioning the glasses thing........

I'm sure he'll be really impressed that you can automatically know his questions that he'll ask before he does but when there are so many legitimate arguements and cases/threads showing how awful the guns you advise are and the money pits they become, hopefully he'll choose to listen to the masses.

I mean I was in the same situation and I was shown and advised what guns were awful like the ARES (everything they make) so did my reasearch and was advised back and forth thereafter

Archived