Why such a lack of CQB/FIBUA/Urban in the South?

bankz5152

Bit out there and potentially totally ridiculous but what if we started a Kickstarter or similar raised enough money - with an established site operator - buy a large building outright. Im sure theres a few hanging around that would suit the purpose. 

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bit out there and potentially totally ridiculous but what if we started a Kickstarter or similar raised enough money - with an established site operator - buy a large building outright. Im sure theres a few hanging around that would suit the purpose. 

Cracking idea, a couple of flaws though. Who would own it and what's to stop them selling it for instant free money?

And where would it be situated? I know I would gladly chip in if it was near me, but I would be increasingly more reluctant the further afield the site was.

Its not impossible but I doubt a kickstarter would raise enough funds to buy a parcel of brownfield (ie: already developed) land in the south east. You could get a few people together, get a loan to purchase the land, give it a few years of airsoft then sell it on for £££ to a developer. Although I think it's easier to find a land owner who is hoarding the land and ask if they want a bit of rent money. 

I'm from what I'd call the South East (London) and based in East Anglia, I'd not say they're the same sort of area, especially given the utterly shocking the travel links which make the effective distance/time even further.  I'd certainly not drive from home to skirmish near my base.

YMMV.

R.e. The OP; I went to Red1 quite a few times as it's only a 20 minute drive from home.  However their numbers kept increasing with seemingly no cap leading to the most horrendously over crowded airsoft I've ever played.  Then they lost about 40% of their space through a very large building being condemned and shut for play.  At £35 green fee with no lunch with the massive cramping issue... one of the few sites I'd personally give a negative review to.

A weekender consisting of 3 days, 2 litres a day for drinking, plus extra for cooking. That's potentially 7 kilos extra weight plus the 7 litres of space It takes up.

On top of what you need to take already.

I can see that as a genuine gripe. If I had to take water to site, I'd have to set up camp and go back out for water.

I car share. It's about 200-250 miles to all these MoD training villages for me.

I also find the community to be very supportive. If you are going to be limited with what you can take, then just asking someone to bring that water for you isn't outside the realms of possibly. I'm bringing all the food and kit of one person for a game in April, as an example.

I appreciate coming on a motorbike will limit what you can bring. However the way I read your comment, I got the impression you were on about carrying that water in game, hence the whole "I'd have to set up camp" comment.

I really don't think it's unfair to say that it's a negative point to a site if it doesn't have a drinkable water supply; that is a dis-advantage.  Most camps I've been to which are primarily exercise areas do actually have water going to them somewhere, if not various places, but I guess the skirmish companies might not be able to get the mod to agree access.   Varies place to place of course.

I see the arguments either way, but end of the day everyone has different cisrcumstances.  Personally if I go to something over a weekend it'll likely just be me in my car so I've got tons of room for loads of supplies.  But as we say not everyone has anything close to that luxury and it is entirely possible they might not know people they can trust/rely on to help out.

I appreciate coming on a motorbike will limit what you can bring. However the way I read your comment, I got the impression you were on about carrying that water in game, hence the whole "I'd have to set up camp" comment.

Nah, I meant get to site, unload, set up, then have to leave site to do a grub/water run with an empty vehicle. As CK said, until you've acquired some friendly contacts in the community it's not always easy to get anyone to do your lifting for you.

At GZ, it's usually a beer run. Beer is heavy as *suitcase*. ;)

Nah, I meant get to site, unload, set up, then have to leave site to do a grub/water run with an empty vehicle.

Fair point, I hadn't really considered it that way.

As CK said, until you've acquired some friendly contacts in the community it's not always easy to get anyone to do your lifting for you.

At GZ, it's usually a beer run. Beer is heavy as *suitcase*. ;)

I've relied on people I have never met far too many times to be put off by this. I've had help and support in all sorts of places to get me to and from games, source kit, look after kit and bring supplies. More often than not, people are willing to help others, and 7-8 litres of water is hardly a great hardship.

I do feel the airsofting community is great for that.

I'm getting a lift with a chap tomorrow to the site who I've never really spoken to as my usual lift is unavailable. I'm not even sure he can put my face to a name at the moment.

That might be more because I'm a socially awkward turtle...

Oh I'm not saying the community isn't amazing and people won't help. Everything I have experienced since I started has proven otherwise. I'm just saying some people would never ask and would just struggle on their own or simply not bother rather than ask.

I wasn't thinking it being an issue so much as a player but the boy has marshaled at copehill amd they were going to do Sennybridge and that was an issue/gripe that was mentioned during discussion about the event planning that was an extra issue/annoyance to plan for.

But yeah travelling I could see needing to trek water in to be a real sod especially on a motorbike or using public transport.

It was just something that was an extra pain in the *albartroth*.

Water access is something that can lead to people being hospitalised so having to trek it all in and not having the security of 'if I run out there is at least a source of safe water somewhere on site' would stress me litle when planning what im taking especially with limited space and weight considerations.

• 9 months later...

DrAlexanderTobacco just informed that UCAP have secured a lease on the HMP Shepton Mallet.  As you can see it looks mega. 

First game is on the 10th January.

Based on a bit of reading I'd say there is ATLEAST year before work would start on the site. Possibly longer (for reasons i cba to go into)

Good news! 

Archived