Opinions on GMR MG theory?

ardrummer292

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it depends on where you play. Some scenes (well, most) take their basis in some sort of milsim oriented gameplay. People don't build their small M4's to be rof monster raceguns then, as done in some other places.

I apologize in advance for rehashing things and rambling.

The thing is (and of course this is from someone who doesn't get out much), we are seeing this turn towards "milsim" with semi-auto only on aeg's unless a certified SAW, being hand in hand with those crazy built-up M4's (whether mosfet/polarstar/magic) that are outperforming support weapons in suppression role with their trigger response.  I had witnessed this when the craze started awhile back, but my last game really drove that into me.  I saw folks with support guns and supported by others being overwhelmed by often a single person with a souped up m4 whose semi-auto was faster, could outrange the support gunner, and frankly scared the *suitcase* out of people by the kinds of hits they inflicted on people (loose teeth, burst skin underneath clothing, etc.)  It gets worst when some folks ignored the semi and where set for burst on their systems, but even the folks who legitimately were using semi only were being thought of as going full auto.

For some time I thought about being in a support role (of course with my tastes it'd be something like a zb-26), but with how things are progressing, I don't think any sort of gameplay style is going to be encouraged to be used against what is becoming the norm in many places.

I saw folks with support guns and supported by others being overwhelmed by often a single person with a souped up m4 whose semi-auto was faster, could outrange the support gunner, and frankly scared the *suitcase* out of people by the kinds of hits they inflicted on people (loose teeth, burst skin underneath clothing, etc.) 

If that "souped up m4" was a polarstar or HPA gun, they were problably cheating. An over-gassed or over-volumed gun will shoot under field limits with 0.20g, but with heavier 0.30g+  the actual energy in joules will be more (and thus the damage).  Google "joule creep" to see what I mean.

If that "souped up m4" was a polarstar or HPA gun, they were problably cheating. An over-gassed or over-volumed gun will shoot under field limits with 0.20g, but with heavier 0.30g+  the actual energy in joules will be more (and thus the damage).  Google "joule creep" to see what I mean.

It doesn't actually matter rules or not really (and each country has their own agreed limits along with each sites own limit so you could be arguing about rules for hours).  The issue is that: the definition of a game of "airsoft" is so loose you could transition between cosplay, speedball and milsim within one game without even notice you have crossed the border.

Hence why I run my events as a "teambuilding events" and not as "airsoft games". 

In my events, an MG is a class of weapons that has a strategic value, has advantage of high volume of fire and range, but has significant mobility and deployment trade offs particularly in the terrain my group function in (hilly undulating ground with jungle-like visibility from 0-100m).  It has to be heavier than 7kgs unloaded, and only then can it possess a hicap magazine.   High FPS is encouraged up to a point to improve suppression ability and range over normal arms, but not so high that it penetrates skin.  One MG is only distributed between 1 in 4 team members.   This is supported with very limiting respawn rules for each team.

Due to these limitations, whereby an MG is harder to move, harder to patrol with, and the survival rate of an machine gunner in this scenario environment is lower than those with a normal rifle, it discourages people to become machine gunners, but it makes people value the machine gun's contribution to the survival of the team.  Good Machine gunners then realise they need to rely on lighter forward scout&assault elements rather than going "lone rangering" for themselves. 

I will say that when I've been gunning, from open play to 'milsim', very rarely have I felt outgunned. While some of my MGs have been pushed right up to the event limits for fps in an attempt to maximize range, they are all in the 15-20 rps range.

While short bursts (3-5 seconds) are my norm, when I've run up against high rof guns and/or hi-cap spammers, my higher ammo capacity, combined with much longer bursts, have usually allowed me to achieve fire superiority.

Archived