Hero Arms Cmag

Antagon

I wouldn't do it. I was at a skirmish this weekend, and there was a guy packing a MG36 with a hero arms CMAG. He was having continuous feed problems and evntually it just died altogether in the middle of an intense firefight. Looked to me like the back of the mag has vents in it(presumably to see ammo count) but it just got gummed up and died. I can't say that i'd buy one,

I received it on Tuesday so only took 2 days to get from Redwolf,fastest service thus far.

Anyway on to how it is,so far I have not run into any real feed problems,my complaint is when you wind it up the amount of bb's loaded isn't a whole heck of alot at a time considering the fact there is 3000 bb's you would think there would be more available per wind,so I simply taped the pressure switch in a few places on my 36 and positioned the pressure switch where my middle finger can press it down while I fire with my index,doing this I have had no problem what so ever as I am constantly winding the mag,it is louder than usual when firing but it feeds smoothly this way.

I would suggest getting some rechargeable AAA NiMh batteries from Radio Shack or something as this will increase it's life,though I would imagine the 4 Energizer AAA batteries would last for awhile as is.The batteries by the way are in the left drum,you can open it with a allan key,the philip's head is for looks only though I had tryed to unscrew it at first as it looked like it could be unscrewed,messed up the plastic abit but no biggy.The thing is run by a small Tamiya motor,for those of you into Tamiya R/C cars,this will look familiar,an I would imagine if ever the motor were to get burnt out it would be easy to find a replacement on the net at a few model sites.

The right drum has a small lever you have to turn to the right as you fill the mag up with bb's,filling it up is like any Hi cap mag,for the 36 the back has a small pull open door at the back area,while the M16 type has the slide open hatch at the top

the plastic for the Hi cap upper portion looks to be made of cheaper plastic than usual Hi caps,also for the 36 at least,you can wobble the mag while it is loaded,the "lock" on the back of mag is smaller than usual mags so doesn't have the full hold on the mag as it should.

So overall for the price (I payed $127.09 with shipping from RW) I think it a good addition,I have not dealt with any other C-mag so really cannot compare strengths and weaknesses,and with the wind and shoot method it fires smoothly but again is somewhat louder than usual so forget stealth this way but then if you got a C-mag you really aren't always looking to hide as you got plenty of ammo to unload,also for the G36 the folding stock is out of the question,but then the folding stock in general is out of the question as it really isn't any more easier to hold folded or not.

I know this is a bunch of rambling but I hope it does help in some way.

That's a great quick review by Dodger.

I also have a Hero Arms C-Mag. I've also tried the G36 C-Mag on War4 and the Redwolf Custom Hicap electric fed 900 round mag.

The Hero Arms is the best of the lot and .. quite nicely .. the cheapest.

The spring mechanism on the right drum helps with feeding and also help to keep pressure on the BBs so there is a bit less shake rattle and roll. It's also handy in that you can mark off 1000 round increments and have a good idea of how much ammo it left. No other C-Mag has that capability. That said I can see dirt possibly getting in there, but if yer reasonably careful it should be possible to avoid this.

Another nice touch is the detatchable pressure switch. This means if the C-Mag fails, you can pop out the C-Mag, disconnect the pressure switch and then pop in a regular mag. I have the pressure switch mounted semi permanently on my MG36 (I ran it underneath a Hogue grip which slides nicely onto the G36 pistol grip). This way it's nice and rigidly mounted right where I want it, but .. due ti it being detatchable, I can easily swap to another C-Mag or use regular mags without having to remove and re-attatch the pressure switch.

I also just constantly squeeze the mag pressure switch when firing and only get dry firing about 10% of the time at most (gun has high RoF). With other mags I would get between 20 - 40% dryfiring.

Having tried 3 different types of C-Mags I think the Hero Arms is the best of the bunch. And again .. also the cheapest.

egg

<Guessing>

Based on the operation of my MINIMI Box mag a small motor drives a standard Hicap mechanism, the motor adds tension to the spring, the spring drives a toothed wheel which picks up the bbs and pushes them up the feed tube.

</Guessing>

The pic of the M$/M16 mag at Redwolf has reasonable detail (it's identical to the G36 mag except for the piece that goes into the receiver):

HEROARMS-M16EDRUM-L.jpg

the main piece that causes the BBs to feed is identical to the main spring & gear piece from a standard HiCap (I believe this applies to all C-Mags, at least the two I have looked inside of). I used a standard Zenith replacement gear & spring for my War 4 C-Mag and it fit without problem:

http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?itm=ZENITH-ACC-AP04

Hope this helps.

egg

• 2 weeks later...

Right I just received my Hero-Arms M16 c-mag yesterday... I got a few minutes to play with it before I handed it over to the wife to save for Xmas...

Anyway Initial impressions... nice build quality and sturdy. Looks good.

However....

In use it didn't feed hardly at all. The motor turned the spring and fed bbs into the feed tube, right up to the top without a problem. However when it came to getting this to work with the gun it was another thing entirely.

The gun I am using this with is a CA M15A4 Carbine with metal hop-up chamber.

To get feed at all the mag had to be pushed very firmly home and held in place. The first bb would feed fine after doing this, but then you'd get nothing. I managed once to get it to feed several bbs in succession, but that was with the mag held in really strongly and with the gun on semi.

Comparing the c-mag with a CA mag that works really well with my gun I saw that the notch that holds the mag in the magwell is rather high up on the mag. This may be the reason why I had to hold it in tightly.

Anyway I can't now really take a closer look at the mag as the missus has it.

However I suspect that there are problems with the shape of the top of the mag, things that cause the latch that holds the bbs in place to not be opened up correctly or maybe the feed tube does not line up quite right.

When I get it at xmas I have a week off from work, so I intend to spend a few days looking at the problem. I'll probably strip my gun down and see how it fits together with the mag, etc... Then make modifications to the mag to make it fit better.

However... if anyone can give me a reason to send it back to WGC before then I'll do just that...

Has anyone else had problems like this?

• 1 month later...
However I suspect that there are problems with the shape of the top of the mag, things that cause the latch that holds the bbs in place to not be opened up correctly or maybe the feed tube does not line up quite right.

When I get it at xmas I have a week off from work, so I intend to spend a few days looking at the problem. I'll probably strip my gun down and see how it fits together with the mag, etc... Then make modifications to the mag to make it fit better.

Has anyone else had problems like this?

H Yith,

I got the same cmag and gun and experienced exactly the same problem.

I agree that its most certainly the area between the feeding tube and the latch of the C-Mag.

Please let me know when you solved it and how you did it.

I just got my hero arms cmag for my modified mg36 project. It did wobble while loaded but i noticed that the whole mag is a little smaller than the regular one. To fix this i simply put a couple layers of electric tape around the mag and it works beautifly now. And btw i counted that i got about 70 shots per wind. Hope thats some help.

If you are buying rechargeable AA's for your Cmag remember batteries are not all the same. I am using NiMH (Nickel Metal Hydride) rechargeables with 2800 MaH (milli amp hours). The MaH rating is the basis of comparison when shopping, the higher the number the longer lasting it should be. The airsoft beta mags look VERY CLOSE to the real ones, here's a side by side photo.

Archived