XM8

JJBennett

Gad, Americans are touchy. As Sid said, these kind of remarks only bother people about whom they're true.

Oh, and show an example where H&K don't make the best of something. They used to be British owned, you know. Explains their excellence.

:zorro:

Touchy when other people attack us as all being the same? Yes. We are.

And Jesus himself doesn't manage HK's developement team. They're good, but it doesn't mean we're ignorant for liking other guns as well.

EDIT: unfair comment toward Sid. please disregard.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Touchy when other people attack us as all being the same?  Yes.  We are.

And Jesus himself doesn't manage HK's developement team.  They're good, but it doesn't mean we're ignorant for liking other guns as well.

Well that was mature.  I'd say a PM was something someone wanted to tell you privately.  Any other deeply personal private conversations you'd like to share with the rest of the world?  Or are we going to respect the intended privacy of others?

Aaron

Erm...

It was nothing to do with the subject of the PM. It was just something that came up in passing.

Thanks for caring though.

Gad, Americans are touchy. As Sid said, these kind of remarks only bother people about whom they're true.

Oh, and show an example where H&K don't make the best of something. They used to be British owned, you know. Explains their excellence.

The reason I am being touchy right now is solely to blame on the last three pages of this topic, which has basically been American bashing. Now, do ME a favor and show me evidence of any comment I made that would prove I claimed H&K didn't make the best of anything? In this entire topic I haven't said anything of the sort. On another note, none of the remarks are true about me. I don't like 'Vettes. Harleys leak oil and are honestly a waste of aluminium. I don't think the AR15 is the best assault rifle in the world. I think it is a good assault rifle, but not the best. If I had to choose one rifle to claim that spot it would be the Russian made AK47. So bah.

EDIT: I am going to apologize. I am having a bad experience at my new school so far, and this thread wasn't teh "Welcome home" I was expecting. So, I am a little steamed right now, and am truly sorry if I have offended anyone.

Expvideo: if it's not true, why do you care if people say it?

Well I'm not a white supremacist either. But if someone was going around saying I was, it would probably ruin my reputation, right? Now people calling Americans ignorant makes the rest of the world think we are. We now have a bad rep. And as this thread has proven, it is based on missinformed (not uninformed) assumptions. So yeah. Even if it's not true, I don't like my country to be bashed. I am mildly patriotic, and honestly, I don't think that's a crime, or against forum rules.

Aaron

Can we all agree that if you guys stop saying your stuff IS the best, and instead say you like it best, we'll stop assuming you're all arrogant, insular, rednecks? :)

Course, if that isn't acceptable I'm sure there are plenty of US based forums where you could continue any mutual Armalite worship uninterrupted. :P

Uh, M1911A2 guy, you were the one who pointed out that "a certain German" would argue H&K made the best anything. That suggests that they don't, so I'm asking you to state your case. Pretty simple, really.

My insinuation wasn't aimed at knocking on H&K, but more at the fact that Uni's posts and opinions could be entirely based off of German pride and nationalism.(Which they aren't. He has given a sound reason for every opinion he has shared on this forum) I totally agree with him on every point he has made about the G36 and X/M8. The MP5 is easily the most recognizable SMG out there, let alone one of the best if not THE best, and one hell of and excellent killing weapon. So, maybe I was being to vague. Sorry.

Can we all agree that if you guys stop saying your stuff IS the best, and instead say you like it best, we'll stop assuming you're all arrogant, insular, rednecks? :)

Course, if that isn't acceptable I'm sure there are plenty of US based forums where you could continue any mutual Armalite worship uninterrupted. :P

We could agree if we said that!!! We didn't! Our propaganda websites did! Can I please for a minute explain how this works. American companies are supported by American politicians, who in turn control the media. We don't have many commercials over here that promote ANY foreign products. Guns included.

And as HK goes, they do make some of the best guns out there. However, we can't afford them. The AR15 is a very good rifle, compaired to other guns in it's price range. Kind of like how I like BMWs. I think they are some of the best cars in the world. I drive an 89 Toyota corolla. I'm not saying it's the best car in the world, but it is one of the better cars in the $500 price range.

A good example of Americans not liking American products is the conversation I just had with my roommates, where tehy both thought it was rediculous to buy either a gun or a car made in America. It is a very common point of view over here (and very true) that American products are made to be high priced and low quality. The view that American products are the best died in the late 70's. We used to feel that way. Then again, it used to be true. It is far from true today.

People want to be highly paid for little work. In turn companies like to make high profits for low quality. We don't support that.

Don't believe me? look at our economy. We import 90% of our products. What does that say? We used to import less than 50%.

Aaron

It is a very common point of view over here (and very true) that American products are made to be high priced and low quality.  The view that American products are the best died in the late 70's.  We used to feel that way.  Then again, it used to be true.  It is far from true today.

People want to be highly paid for little work.  In turn companies like to make high profits for low quality.  We don't support that.

Don't believe me?  look at our economy.  We import 90% of our products.  What does that say?  We used to import less than 50%.

Aaron

That's a commendable POV. With an attitude like that you almost qualify as a Brit. ;)

That's a commendable POV. With an attitude like that you almost qualify as a Brit. ;)

I guess that's as close as we're going to come to agreeing, so I guess we can just shake hands and part this conversation? I would like to note that almost everyone I know shares my views on this subject. I can't speak for the whole country though. I'll admit I feel exactly how you do about the US about the South. Not everyone is like that in the southern states, but a lot of them are.

Unfortunately, most of our politicians are also from the south. So the southern view of America seems to be the one that the world gets to see.

Aaron

<_<

I guess that's as close as we're going to come to agreeing, so I guess we can just shake hands and part this conversation?  I would like to note that almost everyone I know shares my views on this subject.  I can't speak for the whole country though.  I'll admit I feel exactly how you do about the US about the South.  Not everyone is like that in the southern states, but a lot of them are.

Unfortunately, most of our politicians are also from the south.  So the southern view of America seems to be the one that the world gets to see.

Aaron

<_<

I hate the fact that me living in Georgia automaticcly labels me as a redneck by the rest of America. I wasnt even born in the south. <_<

I hate the fact that me living in Georgia automaticcly labels me as a redneck by the rest of America. I wasnt even born in the south.  <_<

that's why I tried to make it clear that I wasn't speaking of everyone in the south. There are a lot of unbiased intelligent people there. There are also a lot of overly-patriotic people that think American products are the only good ones because "the japs bombed us". My grandfather, who is from the Seattle area, feels that way, only because he lost so many close friends in pearl harbor. To this day, he won't buy Japanese or German products. Like I said, it is a very outdated point of view that most Americans don't share. However some of the ones that do share that opinion just so happen to be politicians that control the media.

Aaron

that's why I tried to make it clear that I wasn't speaking of everyone in the south.  There are a lot of unbiased intelligent people there.  There are also a lot of overly-patriotic people that think American products are the only good ones because "the japs bombed us".  My grandfather, who is from the Seattle area, feels that way, only because he lost so many close friends in pearl harbor.  To this day, he won't buy Japanese or German products.  Like I said, it is a very outdated point of view that most Americans don't share.  However some of the ones that do share that opinion just so happen to be politicians that control the media.

Aaron

Oh, that staement wasnt directed at you. Sorry for the confusion.

Insular, blinkered, prejudiced, and racist. Gotta love the land of the free.

I wasn't aware Great Britain was 'the land of the free'. So far, the most prejudiced comment has come from a person who resides there.

Blanket statements (or is it insult in this case) cover everyone. Of course you'll get off scott free because you're well liked. It's sad how injustices rear their ugly heads up in our daily lives.

I wasn't aware Great Britain was 'the land of the free'. So far, the most prejudiced comment has come from a person who resides there.

Blanket statements (or is it insult in this case) cover everyone. Of course you'll get off scott free because you're well liked. It's sad how injustices rear their ugly heads up in our daily lives.

Y'know, I honestly don't understand why people were getting so irate. I listed a bunch of dodgy stuff that HAPPENED in the USA and then put that as a closing comment.

It's clear that the people responsible for doing the underhanded deals I was talking about ARE very definately all the things I said.

What's more, I wouldn't mind betting that they're getting substantial earnings from investments and consultancy fees from the various companies they patronise.

Our government is probably as bad. Most brit's are cynical enough to understand this, though. We aren't trying to tell anybody that the L85 is the best rifle in the world and that's why it was issued to our army.

We understand that a brit company got the contract for a hundred reasons and none of them were to do with which was the best gun.

If you can't understand that and accept that it's OK to slag off the people who act this way then I'm sorry for you.

Like I say, it genuinely doesn't bother me if you make insults towards a facet of british politics/economy or societyif I know it doesn't apply to me or if it isn't true.

Maybe that is an american thing?

Maybe you guys like to do the whole rabid patriotism, all-for-one, saluting the flag, national pride thing.

Brit's have had an extra 2,000 years or so to get past that point in society though.

Y'know, I honestly don't understand why people were getting so irate. I listed a bunch of dodgy stuff that HAPPENED in the USA and then put that as a closing comment.

It's clear that the people responsible for doing the underhanded deals I was talking about ARE very definately all the things I said.

What's more, I wouldn't mind betting that they're getting substantial earnings from investments and consultancy fees from the various companies they patronise.

Our government is probably as bad. Most brit's are cynical enough to understand this, though. We aren't trying to tell anybody that the L85 is the best rifle in the world and that's why it was issued to our army.

We understand that a brit company got the contract for a hundred reasons and none of them were to do with which was the best gun.

If you can't understand that and accept that it's OK to slag off the people who act this way then I'm sorry for you.

Like I say, it genuinely doesn't bother me if you make insults towards a facet of british politics/economy or societyif I know it doesn't apply to me or if it isn't true.

Maybe that is an american thing?

Maybe you guys like to do the whole rabid patriotism, all-for-one, saluting the flag, national pride thing.

Brit's have had an extra 2,000 years or so to get past that point in society though.

The only problem I had with you guys is that you passed off the AR-15 like it was trash. It is a pretty good working system and isnt bad to use(atleast so I hear).

The only problem I had with you guys is that you passed off the AR-15 like it was trash. It is a pretty good working system and isnt bad to use(atleast so I hear).

I wouldn't call any gun which has been in service for 40 years "trash".

By the very same token, though, is it likely it's still "the best"?

Same deal with the 1911.

I have no problem at all with people saying "I like it the best." but when they start trying to say it is a superior weapon to anything produced in the last 95 years...c'mon. Are they for real?

It holds 7 bullets. It doesn't have ambidextrous controls. It's single-action only and the safety features on it are rather hit-and-miss at best.

Are we really saying that no USP, Glock, Beretta, SIG, Browning or Walther is actually an improvement on the 1911?

If that were true I think, as a species, it'd be for the best if we went back up into the trees right now.

I agree on many points with you Sid, but I feel the generalization of 'Americans' has gone too far. The term is thrown around as if those of us who are Americans who happen not to be the stereotypical image of a redneck hick won't be offended.

I agree, that many people, American or otherwise, are very biased and ignorant on many subjects but I feel throwing around the term 'American' gets quite old after a while, especially from someone who doesn't happen to live here.

And on the whole argument with the AR15/M1911, I agree with Sid. They're not the best, but they're certainly not the worst.

Absolutely not. Muskets were appalling compared to a 1911.

*Puts on large classes and lab coat*

Actually, Sledge, the Model 13B.C. flint lock musket that was carved out of stone by Scandinavian prostitutes back before the days of Christ played a MAJOR role in the Battle of Badon Hill. If it weren't for that fine piece of floosy craftsmanship, England might not even exist right now. Its true, I learned it in coleeg.

*Puts on large classes and lab coat*

Actually, Sledge, the Model 13B.C. flint lock musket that was carved out of stone by Scandinavian prostitutes back before the days of Christ played a MAJOR role in the Battle of Badon Hill. If it weren't for that fine piece of floosy craftsmanship, England might not even exist right now. Its true, I learned it in coleeg.

Wow!

It's not often that Sledge is out-obscured!

I wouldn't call any gun which has been in service for 40 years "trash".

By the very same token, though, is it likely it's still "the best"?

Same deal with the 1911.

I have no problem at all with people saying "I like it the best." but when they start trying to say it is a superior weapon to anything produced in the last 95 years...c'mon. Are they for real?

It holds 7 bullets. It doesn't have ambidextrous controls. It's single-action only and the safety features on it are rather hit-and-miss at best.

Are we really saying that no USP, Glock, Beretta, SIG, Browning or Walther is actually an improvement on the 1911?

If that were true I think, as a species, it'd be for the best if we went back up into the trees right now.

Glock=Trash...I'd take a 1911 over a Glock anyday. Now, a USP....THAT is superior to any pistol in my eyes.

Archived