Clip/magazine

Sledge

So? Clip is also another word for mag. You've yet to actually anything against that. You're merely saying it can mean something else.

A clip: Refers to the bullets/ammunition loaded in a stripper clip or magazine.

A magazine: The actual (phsyical) magazine, with or without bullets.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Joe: You can't call it a mag. People might confuse it with Mothers Against Guns. Imagine the confusion in a skirmish if you shouted "I need a mag" and someone threw you a bunch of rabid, menopausal women with nothing better to do than make other people's lives miserable in a vain attempt to conceal their own inadequacies. Chaos would ensue.

:zorro:

I've just stopped laughing at that, but I could start again at any minute.

:rofl:

So, let me get this straight: saying "clip" instead of "magazine" is a heinous crime punishable by death from flaming, but not bothering to use the English language (the only means we have of comminicating our thoughts to one another with accuracy) correctly isn't? I sense some priorities out of alignment there.

Don't say that! The Americans will think we're picking on them again! Then they'll start posting complaints. Who knows, with the aid of an primary school English teacher, we might even be able to read them.

Seeing as most of them seem to be in primary school, it might be advisable to get a teacher in. ;)

So, let me get this straight: saying "clip" instead of "magazine" is a heinous crime punishable by death from flaming, but not bothering to use the English language (the only means we have of comminicating our thoughts to one another with accuracy) correctly isn't? I sense some priorities out of alignment there.

Well it's good to see that you have a perspective on this topic that is uniquely yours. :argue:

However, surely even you can see that you have just hoisted yourself on your on petard? :rofl:

Using clip to describe a mag (both abbreviations) is surely a mistaken use of the English language by the process of incorrectly naming the item described. :shocked:

If you are going to get on your high horse about this, you should remember that people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. :crazy:

I'm not saying that it is right to flame people for the incorrect usage either. I'll leave that to the pedants who get their jollies off on such things.* :bleh:

In my not so humble opinion, the use of the word clip and mag is something that needs to go in the FAQ, so that people can learn the correct name. However, I'm now left trying to think of an airsoft toy gun that uses a clip, and you know what I can't think of one. Doesn't mean that there isn't one, or that one may come out, just at this moment in time I can't think of one.

If there is no airsoft gun that uses a clip, then what has been discussed falls under the category of real steel, and as far as I know, such discussion is off topic?

:offtopic:

If I'm correct can a moderator please shut down this offtopic thread? Thank you.

*PS: Pedant mode on...

comminicating is spelt wrong.

Well it's good to see that you have a perspective on this topic  that is uniquely yours.  :argue:

However, surely even you can see that you have just hoisted yourself on your on petard? :rofl:

Using clip to describe a mag (both abbreviations) is surely a mistaken use of the English language by the process of incorrectly naming the item described.  :shocked:

If you are going to get on your high horse about this, you should remember that people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.  :crazy:

I'm not saying that it is right to flame people for the incorrect usage either. I'll leave that to the pedants who get their jollies off on such things.*  :bleh:

In my not so humble opinion, the use of the word clip and mag is something that needs to go in the FAQ, so that people can learn the correct name. However, I'm now left trying to think of an airsoft toy gun that uses a clip, and you know what I can't think of one. Doesn't mean that there isn't one, or that one may come out, just at this moment in time I can't think of one.

If there is no airsoft gun that uses a clip, then what has been discussed falls under the category of real steel, and as far as I know, such discussion is off topic?

:offtopic:

If I'm correct can a moderator please shut down this offtopic thread? Thank you.

*PS: Pedant mode on...

comminicating is spelt wrong.

:unsure:

Did Sledge just get owned?!?!?!

:yikes:

Can people stop requesting that my thread be shut down? That's quite a childish way to behave: "Right, now I've had MY say, that's the issue settled." How unbelievably pathetic.

Now, please explain EXACTLY what the problem is. I frequently say "what's on the box" instead of "what programme is on televison." Can I expect this army of pedants to storm my front room and neg rep me?

Now, please explain EXACTLY what the problem is. I frequently say "what's on the box" instead of "what programme is on televison." Can I expect this army of pedants to storm my front room and neg rep me?

*puts away neg-repping stick*

*runs away from Sledge's house*

Archived