MTHEL

Arnie

Mmmm lasers.

We've had Gulf War 2 - perhaps an increase in ABM-esque laser technologies will result in "Cold War 2: A little bit warmer" with the remaining communist countries.

Someone stop me watching all the Soviet/Communism and Slavery/W. Indies progarms on late at night! They just fuel my punk fire!

I still want to know waht music Arnie was trying to pimp to us..

Interesting indeed.  Pretty soon, they might come up with a portable one that can intercept small caliburs, so a soldier can put one on his/her helmet and won't get hit by bullets anymore. ;)  They must be developing practical laser guns now too.

That'd be great, apart from the 150foot power extension cord running from hsi back to the 45 tonne powerpack generator. It's not exactly "mobile". ;)

ha!

7110 ftw!

It still works! :lol: And that spring mechanism is still functional! \o/

Jimmy has like... 3 phones now :mellow: All newer than mine. He's even got a dummy! :)

I guess he just likes to express himself! :S

As for laser weapons... That's like back in the day when the musket first made the sword and bow obsolete, it changed the way battles were fought... I wonder if WW3 would be fought with remote controls. Cus China makes a lot of them! :lol:

WMD :o :o oh noes!!! TV am closing!!!

The question you should be asking is, if that is what they are prepared to show the public, what else do they have that they are not showing?

As an example, new fighter jets that are in use today took 10-15 years to develop and perfect, so in effect the technology for that "new" fighter jet is about 10 years old. So it makes for good wondering what they've got locked away in their little underground bunkers.

Hmm <_< .......

Steve.

Arthur C.Clarke once said:

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

If you read Wired magazine, or read the updates on GlobalSecurity.org, some of the ideas people have sound like pie in the sky. But because of the US' vast defence budget, they'll have a crack at making them anyway, just to see if it's feasible.

I was reading the other day about man-portable nuclear weapons. They were never used, but they made them anyway. This was in the 60's and 70's. Who knows what Uncle Sam has got in his secret lab... ;)

Interesting stuff.

I would hate to see the effect a self opperated one of these would have on the bird population :P (obviously it would only lock on to missiles, but that's not the point).

However I do not think lazer rifles will be used for a long time, primarily becuse they would be imporactical. (ie, they would not stop when they hit people/walls/the floor. IIRC one of the reasons that why the army switched to the SA80 was that the old SLRs were too powerfull and kept shooting through house walls and killing civilians in Northern Ireland.

Just a thought though. Can't lasers be reflected using highly polished mirrors.

Re: tech-lag...

yeah you're right.

The fancy stuff we see on the net and at exhibitions today are obviously [regarded by the government] safe enough to show off.

I wonder... :)

[goes back to day dreaming techy geeky stuff]

The US DoD has a budget roughly 9 times the UK MoD one. What surprises me is that the UK budget is actually the worlds 2nd largest... :mellow: I think we're getting over charged.

Well the F117 is officially documented to have been concepted in 75, contracted in 78, then first flew in 81 (we didn't see it until 15 years afer that date).

Just goes to prove that cutting edge stuff won't make the public eye for a good 10 years plus, and that development cycles are either faster than you'd think (3 years for HaveBlue to make the skys is pretty good going by today's standards), or just not accurately documented to the public.

The US DoD has a budget roughly 9 times the UK MoD one. What surprises me is that the UK budget is actually the worlds 2nd largest... :mellow: I think we're getting over charged.

5th I believe

IIRC it is something like this...

1: USA

2: China

3: Japan

4: France

5: UK

But I could be wrong

That looks right to me. Lemme check GlobalSecurity.org.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/spending.htm

(A few outdated figures there)

The important thing is, worldwide $950 billion was spent on defence in 2004. $466 billion of which was Uncle Sam. Zing!

EDIT: The MoD figures are slightly newer.

http://www.mod.uk/aboutus/keyfacts/budget.htm

Archived