Star M249 Para Examined...

Interesting.  I found this to be the case on my 249 as well and wound up lightly sanding and polishing the brass nozzle on my cylinder head to reduce the outer diameter slightly.  The end result allowed the plastic nozzle to move freely on the cylinder head's nozzle.  Sounds like you approached it a different way.  Good work.

I tried stock nozzle on guarder and prometheus cylinder head and it didn't fit.

But when i put guarder nozzle on any of those cylinder heads (including star m249) it moved smoothly. So i figured i would just replace the nozzle.

I guess we both have a solution, so if you don't want to buy new nozzle (g36 type) and cut it a bit, you could always sand/polish the brass cylinder nozzle.

Deki

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a great thread, .......tons of valuable information.

I just purchased a Star M249, and this thread was a contributing factor in my decision to lay down that kind of money. A big thank you to all those who have contributed to this pool of information.

I have only fired about 3,000 rounds through my gun, but it has really been fun. It will definitely lay down a field of fire, that is for sure. My gun has functioned flawlessly, with the exception of the BB magazine feed / power connection, and that was my fault for not making sure the connection was snapped in securely.

I continue to check this thread daily, and appreciate continued tips and information on this gun.

Has anyone pulled the proverbial trigger on upgrading to the metal gearbox? Sounds like some folks might be close to getting one....

Just curious as to the performance of it and what was used for the internals.

I'm close to getting one of these guns, so another kudos to you all for making great posts!

Has anyone pulled the proverbial trigger on upgrading to the metal gearbox?  Sounds like some folks might be close to getting one.... 

Just curious as to the performance of it and what was used for the internals.

I'm close to getting one of these guns, so another kudos to you all for making great posts!

I ordered one from UNcompany should be here anytime now.

Just painted some of my parts OD(kinda like the NATO version)

Will post pics when it's done :)

I have read all the pages and wow, a ton of great info. I am getting a Star 249 in two weeks. Have a question. If I ws to order a Large 9.6 Battery Pack from Cheapbatterypacks.com but had small connectors on it would it work in the Box mag or do I need to have the adpater and the regular large connection.? Thanks for the help.

I have read all the pages and wow, a ton of great info. I am getting a Star 249 in two weeks. Have a question. If I ws to order a Large 9.6 Battery Pack from Cheapbatterypacks.com but had small connectors on it would it work in the Box mag or do I need to have the adpater and the regular large connection.? Thanks for the help.

IMHO, the deans connector is the better way to go. I've chopped off all my tamiya plugs in favor of the deans. No matter what you go with you can modify your battery plug to the fit the gun, or vice versa.

M249 NATO custom:

(I have painted the heatshield too, but I took it of on the game today because it was kinda loose)

Looks awsome. Now im gonna have to do that.

EDIT: Hope this is ok with you static. My review http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...showtopic=50423

Edited by Bloodhound
IMHO, the deans connector is the better way to go.  I've chopped off all my tamiya plugs in favor of the deans.  No matter what you go with you can modify your battery plug to the fit the gun, or vice versa.

Ok, so I can use a Small Tamiya pluged large type battery in the box mag with out any sort of extender? I think I understood that right?

I am sure someone covered this already but to be totally honest I dont want to read through 43 pages to find the info :P I just recieved one of the "STAR" metal gearboxes. I need to know what type/version internals it uses. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Ok, so I can use a Small Tamiya pluged large type battery in the box mag with out any sort of extender? I think I understood that right?

(Just got my MKII today from Redwolf....and they were quick! Ordered last Thursday eve and received it this morning! Solid gun, like everyone said.)

The box mag has the small Tamiya connector, so if you order your battery pack with the small Tamiya plug you're good to go. No extender is needed.

I'm thinking about getting a 4000mah lithium polymer battery (2 cell, 7.4v).

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/thunderpower.htm

Anyone tried a li-po on this gun? A 4000mah pack would easily last all day. I'm an avid li-po user and have experience with their temperate nature. These ThunderPower packs can handle up to a 40amp discharge which is well below what the Star M249 draws (I measured it stock at no more than a 20amp draw).

Probably the only drawback is that it is only 7.4v. Although, a fully charged 7.4v pack would have a peak voltage of at least 8.5v which is the recommended voltage for this gun. Stepping up to a 3 cell, 11.1v pack isn't the way to go since it will eventually rip the piston teeth apart (like it did in my AUG). Although, if it held together the rate of fire would be wicked--minigun like!!!

Edited by stevofett