My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always felt safer abroad than I do in big UK cities and I have been up to no good in some right dives abroad. You know you are in a classy area of Ukraine when you have to ask some skinheads hanging around a half built abandoned stadium for directions back to Kiev.

In my experience of the Ukraine, admittedly this doesn't stretch much past Odessa, common sense and asking anyone politely and knowing at least some Russian will get you along more or less fine, so long as you don't ask the people actually paid to protect you, like the police. For Eastern Europe in general that seems to run true, with the exception of South Bosnia and Bucharest where everybody seemed to be out to scam, extort or rob you.

Then again, having spent two years in and around places with awful reps like the Balkans and Morocco with no major trouble, I was then subject to bike theft and an attempted mugging on the same day in Belgium of all places. To be entirely honest I felt safer in Iraqi Kurdistan by myself in 2011, then I do walking around parts of Bradford or Leeds at night.

In my experience of the Ukraine, admittedly this doesn't stretch much past Odessa, common sense and asking anyone politely and knowing at least some Russian will get you along more or less fine, so long as you don't ask the people actually paid to protect you, like the police.

First time in Kiev, we had to ask a copper where a gay bar was that we were looking for. He called over a load of his mates and I was positive we were gonna get battered, turns out he just wanted to make sure he was directing us to the right one. Another time I was there with different people, a couple of my group left a bar after us and were pushed into an alley by three coppers who searched them and kept shouting cocaine as a question at them. Both were let off after 10 minutes but it shook them up a bit and prompted the rest to start carrying their passports with them everywhere. After that we seemed to get stopped by police patrols in the centre when we were out and about. Had no issues with anyone in the villages.

Just watching sky news (just been in North Korea) and getting all annoyed again about the Yanks ruining my proposed trip to North Korea that was being organised a few years ago when they kicked off about a proposed missile test. That would have been such an amazing trip. :(

What's *fruitcage*ed me off today?

Student finance. I am 25, I have been employed almost non stop either part or full time since I was 18, I have studied at Uni which I paid for myself, I have never been in debt, I have never been in trouble with the police, never tried to avoid taxes, never claimed a penny of benefits. I have never rioted; or skipped school, work or Uni; nor taken drugs. I have seven years of blemishless reserve and regular military service (bar a single AGAI) and when the country asked, I went and sat in a miserable hole in the desert for six months.

Now I want one thing in return, I want the government to lend me money so I can pay to study Economics. A student loan. The same student loans they give to 17 year olds with two Ds at A Levels without question. I'm not asking for a handout, nor a free ride, just a chance to start fresh .

But no, apparently I'm not eligible.

Well British government, *fruitcage* you. I want one thing back, on tiny thing. Honestly, I have never felt so betrayed in my life.

Student finance. I am 25, I have been employed almost non stop either part or full time since I was 18, I have studied at Uni which I paid for myself, I have never been in debt, I have never been in trouble with the police, never tried to avoid taxes, never claimed a penny of benefits. I have never rioted; or skipped school, work or Uni; nor taken drugs. I have seven years of blemishless reserve and regular military service (bar a single AGAI) and when the country asked, I went and sat in a miserable hole in the desert for six months.

Now I want one thing in return, I want the government to lend me money so I can pay to study Economics. A student loan. The same student loans they give to 17 year olds with two Ds at A Levels without question. I'm not asking for a handout, nor a free ride, just a chance to start fresh .

Well British government, *fruitcage* you. I want one thing back, on tiny thing. Honestly, I have never felt so betrayed in my life.

Welcome to the UK really.

In my case it was the first and only time that I went on jobseekers as I finally had ran out of cash to support myself.

At the time I was volunteering for 32-40hrs a week at a place that helps people with mental and physical disabilities have a place to work in a woodshop, now this was all in good faith and so I wasn't stuck at the house and bored.

It was not a 'registered Scottish charity' and was a council supported method instead, this means I can't do more than 16hrs at it. So when I said I was doing more they point blank refused me any support.

When I asked 'does that mean I should sit around at home, doing nothing but looking for jobs on the net or coming in here as and when I can until I find something' they said yes. So they are actively encouraging me to not go out and help while I am searching for work. Now I know this was the Job Centre in Peterhead (a place known for people dodging the system anyway) but even the Aberdeen one gave me the same attitude of 'no go home and sit around waiting for a job'.

Doesn't really help clear up our country when the people that are meant to be getting people into work are not actually encouraging them to do something anyway.

'FireKnife'

The ginger fuhrer has returned. Work was going fine until he showed up after coming back off sick leave! It's amazing how the man can make me feel so miserable! 10 seconds after walking into the office he's already issuing demands and getting on our cases.

I do wish one day (soon) he would just have the good courtesy to die.

I do wish one day (soon) he would just have the good courtesy to die.

Seeing as you work for the NHS I am sure something can be procured to help that, just go to fix a PC in someones office, 'liberate' something and use as directed :P

At my work it would just be a case of claim that a certain PC is broke and then just push them off the railings, however at my job I like the people I work with.

'FireKnife'

Seeing as you work for the NHS I am sure something can be procured to help that, just go to fix a PC in someones office, 'liberate' something and use as directed :P

At my work it would just be a case of claim that a certain PC is broke and then just push them off the railings, however at my job I like the people I work with.

'FireKnife'

You get railings? Classy workplace.

You get railings? Classy workplace.

That and a pair of hi-vis for every single worker, it truly is a paradise.

Though the railing are between them and a very expensive paper making machine that would cause INSTANT DEATH!!!! if you fell into it.

'FireKnife'

D'awwwwwww, your employer cares if you die.

How cute.

I know, they even have a big sign that reminds us of how much each time we enter the place :P.

They don't care if you die, they care about the potential for being sued by the family if someone does die.

Ah back in the good old days a paper mill was a case of 'oh well someone has been fed into the paper machine, woops'. Now they come down like a ton of bricks on it apparently.

'FireKnife'

Have you checked to see if your enhanced learning credits will cover it?

It might count, but as I understand the system, it will barely make a dent. Plus I'm in the process of quitting as I won't nothing more to do with the Army, so it's unlikely to be any help.I pinged off a letter to my MP in one of my more lucid moments, but he has yet to respond. Other than a letter to our regional Regimental Trust, I'm not sure where to go from here. I really don't want to have to work full time throughout my degree, or take a year out after my second year to work to pay for my final year. I shouldn't *frootcagio* have to.

Any L3 or above qual is valid and I think if you are in the high band you get nearly £2000 a year in each of 3 years over the 10 years after you get out.

The training provider has to be registered though.

It is definitely worth a look, even if you get a loan it is free money that is owed too you.

The heat. Despite our portable AC unit (an old rickety POS we liberated from our former boss's office when he retired) working on full blast right behind my back, I'm melting. It's 32 C outside, the thermometer built into the AC unit claims that despite its best efforts it's still 28 C inside, and I really don't want to know what's going on back at home.

My ex's cats opened the freezer last night, apparently in an attempt to get inside.

I like the sun and sometimes the snow. It is only the wind that annoys the feth out of me.

Though now I need to sell some Warhammer shizz on eBay, I don't like this as it leads to lots of stupid questions about the paint, plastic age and many other things, even my handy template doesn't help. Might just flog them on here or forum instead.

'FireKnife'

Archived