Mouse problems...

HaVoC

Got a problem here - never really had it before.

I'm using a Microsoft Optical Mouse, which is usually fine. Today it's starting, well, 'spazzing out' for want of a better phrase.

It gets sort of 'stuck' as I move it up and down the screen, jerking about and not going where I want it to. Sideways, it's fine.

It seems to be intermittent, and also seems to be getting more frequent.

If I can find a screen capture utility, and have the patience to download and install it (takes me 5 minutes to get the mouse cursor in a position to click the button...) I can try to get a video of it.

Anyone have a clue on the problem, and/or how to fix it?

EDIT: Ok, scrap that :lol:

Tried my mouse on my desk and it works. I assume my pad is so dirty the sensor can't pick up the surface.

Prometheus's Optical Mouse Trouble Shooting Guide (POMTSG):

1) Check to make sure it plugged in correctly

2) Make sure there is nothing like dirt, tape, spit, or other juices on it that could keep the mouse from reading correctly

3) Check to make sure that the laser is on all the time ... like it is supposed to be. Make sure it isn't switiching off all the way as if there is a loose wire.

4) Check to make sure the wire is'nt broke (bend the wire in different places down the length to make sure you haven't pintched it in some way as to make it not work

Other than that, go and buy a new one...

I see you've already solved this issue, but for future reference this sort of thing is usually caused by bits of dirt and hair covering the sensor in the little hole on the bottom of the mouse.

Either that, or you're trying to use it on a glass surface ;)

Lol, i have what seems to be a similar mouse and have the exact same problems. generic microsoft one (black? came with keyboard which letters fade off after 15 minuets use?)

It happens most when gaming, which is annoying. Recently it stopped working all together for 15 mins but was moving around the screen very slowly without me moving it :\.

Time for a new mouse me thinks ;)

Cheers,

Smash Joehanson

I see you've already solved this issue, but for future reference this sort of thing is usually caused by bits of dirt and hair covering the sensor in the little hole on the bottom of the mouse.

Either that, or you're trying to use it on a glass surface ;)

Second that. Look for a hair stuck in the aperature in the bottom. Might be really hard to see it. Tweezers will remove it if blowing in there doesn't. Unplug it first so you don't blind yourself too.

For optical mouse. if it's wireless, change battery. Otherwise, your system may have a process running that's conflicting with the mouse. Check Taskmanager and terminate process you aren't sure of. Good way to check if you got spyware too. I have been using optical mouse since it's out. Never again will go back the old mouse.

My family has had optical mouses for years and we still have one. They break all the time. Buy a real mouse.

You have got to be effin'-joking me...

That's the most rediculous suggestion I have ever heard. Stop buying 10 dollar mice made in Greenland and maybe you'll have a different opinion.

FYI putting clear scotch tape over the sensor is a rather fun practical joke...esp with gaming junkie friends.

Archived