Overclockers.co.uk reliable?

Karnage

i had always got all ym pc bits from them, but then ther last time they really *fruitcage*ed up.

to cut a long story short, they sent me a gfx card, and it didn't work. i sent it back, and it took them 2 months and 3 different gfx cards before i got the right one. and they don't reply to e-mails.

prices are good. if you get the stuff you order (which probably happens most of the time), you're set.

but if they *fruitcage* up, expect to get ###### off.

I used to be on a forum for a rival shop (that has now closed), and it was generally accepted that their customer relations and returns policy was a little unfriendly. Allegedly.

Without wishing to sound like I've had negative experiences with them, and being unable to verify those I have heard, they seem to be similar to Airsoft Dynamics in their business model; bad mouth us and we'll break your legs.

Saying that, if you get what you pay for, then there's no problems I guess B)

EDIT: Ah, I see screaming_weasel has added some credence to what I said :P

hes probably never had a problem becasue he goes and eals with them face to face.

I've ordered about half of my computer from them (Mobo, CPU, PSU. Case memory and graphics card came from someone else) plus other kit over time, never had a problem with them other than they can be a bit slow to deliver.

AVOID AVOID AVOID.

Once I had a duff motherboard that they refused to RMA because they thought it wasn't the motherboard. I'd replaced out every component except the motherboard, so I knew what was going on.

They told me to send the motherboard back eventually, and stated that if it was tested and faulty then they'd replace it, if it was not faulty they'd charge me a £20 testing fee.

I sent it back, but not until I'd made a note of the motherboard serial number.

They sent it back to me saying that it was fine, and they had already charged my debit card £20 for testing. I looked at the serial number.

It was different.

This process took a good few weeks, and as I now had a working motherboard I just couldn't be bothered to try and get the testing fee back. I just wrote it off and made a vow never to deal with those effing cowboys ever again.

I've got nothing but praise for them, i've ordered two pc's worth of parts and a monitor and have had no problems with them :) However I cannot comment on their returns policy as i have thankfully never needed to return anything.

I would also reccmoend www.scan.co.uk, an excellent online retailer imho.

I once bought a mobo off them, along with a SB Live! (this is important) and returned it cos stuff attached to one IDE port used to vanish randomly.

They argued.

In the mean-time a LOT of stuff about these mobo's having problems with IDE channels appeared and, eventually, they relented and swapped the mobo...

...for one which wasn't compatible with the forking SB Live!

I tried to send it back and they just said "well, you didn't specify you were going to use it with an SB Live!"

"No. That's why I ordered the ORIGINAL forking board in preference to the one you've swapped it for!" :angry:

Given that, at the time, the SB Live! was more than £100 and the mobo was about £80 I ended up cutting my losses and just buying another bloody mobo.

I only recently used the redundant mobo to make a PC for my niece to use for her college work.

http://www.aria.co.uk for PC bits in the UK.

They can be cheap, and if the products work, it's excellent, but their return process is awful, as well as the packaging in which they send gear. I once had quite an expensive HDD arrive in nothing more than a jiffy bag. Now, there's OEM, and then there's just silliness...:(

I've had good experiences, but I've only ordered fromt hem once. TBH, i had no idea that they were like AD - but then, I had No Idea AD were a bad company untill people started going on about it in the forums.

Good prices, and quite a lot of good kit. But aparently like AD - Not realy that trustworthy. Or so it seems.

Aria are great for devilering the right stuff, on time and reasonable prices. But I tried to return some 5.1 speakers to them and it took them 4 months to refund us.

First e-mail sent and they replied and said send it back and we'll cover postage (great I thought). After seding it back, and makign sure it was recorded delivery.

A week passed and I emailed to check if they were going to refund it. No reply. No reply to about 3 more emails in the following 8 weeks so I rang them. No answer for 3 days etc etc finally got through to them after about 2 months (they replied to an email which threatened legal action [the only way to get some peoples bloody attension]

Anyway cutting out more hassel they finally refunded us so I have semi forgive them. The biggest problem with the internet seems to be customer service, So be CAREFUL what you order ;)

Cheers,

Smash Joehanson

The problem is definitely customer service. Because the computer components industry is so cut-throat, everyone is trying to undercut everyone else.

This leads to lower prices, but in order to keep their businesses viable they need to cut back on other things.

Unfortunately, it's the customer service department that tends to get hit by cut-backs first. They're all pretty mcuh as bad as each other when it comes to getting stuff returned. eBuyer have apparently cleaned up their act, but I've had terrible trouble returning stuff to them (and being sent stuff that was obviously B-grade). Dabs have gone to pot now, they were great until they started cutting back the CS department. Aria are OK from my experience but I've heard lots of people have problems with them. Scan again are OK based on my orders, but on Usenet they have a horrible reputation.

At the end of the day, you pays your money you takes your choice. For some things it's easier to go to a local retailer. Sure, you might pay more money but at least you know you can take it back and deal with a person rather than an Internet/telephone robot ;)

i am very good friends of a guy who used to work there, as tech staff (not suppors though)

anyway, the manager, Mark, has turned into a real money grabber, and

even though the companies profites were sky high, he started cutting

corners, and wages, and staff discounts (used to be 17.5%, now its 2.5%)

anyway, the staff get treated like dogs, so i'm not surprised that you get some duffing up.

oh, and there are NO tech staff at OcUK because they all walked out.

this will be why their "technical knowledge" and "tests" are a bunch of

baloney.

www.advancetec.co.uk

These guys are down the road from me and are really good. If you give em a ring theyll usually cut you a deal :) The only problem i onc had was a corrupt sound card. I took it back and they swapped it for a new one. I was in there mebe a minute

Archived