Non-biased AEP Mini review.

Scizz

Eh? Why?  :unsure:

From what I here, the guns ROF is already excellent.

Add to that the rather small capactity for the standard mag and a higher ROF just increases the chances of not hitting the target before the gun is empty.

Or were you under the impression that a higher voltage battery might do something for the power?

Yeah, but I was obviously wrong! It'd just increase the ROF then... Could be joke CQB, perhaps as a second siderarm (I've held one and it's quite light) plus there'd be no worrying about cooldown!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I looking for one of thes for a "not summer" gun 'cus in frikkin august my GBB glock vents cos of the cold. a 50M useable range is not that hard to believe from a 200ish FPS gun- you just have to A ) fire down wind and pray, B )aim above the target(ok a LOT above the target but still...) C ) realise that its more useable for suppressive fire than actual kills(30 BBs in a stream floating at you malliciosly makes you duck) or D ) sighn a pact in blood with lucifer himself. wichever is more accesible.

Caz, the KSC/KWA Glocks are also especially poor in the cold (from the venting, I asume it's not a TM/KJW). Some GBBs will give you good performance in the cold though. Still, the 18C maeg should be much more stable - unless the battery proves to be sensitive to low temperature, of course!

With this whole distance and accuracy measurements and whatnot, i've learned to like the american system of measurements.... simply put, the quoted 50m that your gun is shooting is really shooting 50 feet on this side of the pond. I justify my conversion by stating that my system of conversion is just as non-scientific as the system to measure the actual shot was. Likewise, it probably really could go 50m.... the question is how high above the target was the shooter actually aiming.

Scizz, I know you said that the g18c would be good for cqb, but would it perform well as a sidearm for woodland?  I imagine it would do fine, but 200-210 fps might not be enough in the woods.

I am not quite sure about that man, but I will find out when I skirm. with a bunch of my friends tomorrow. I plan to have it on my side for the game.

I will post how it performs soon after, gotta keep everyone posted.

PS- I forgot to mention that I was using .20g bb's in my pistol, silly me!

this was probably an important thing to mention.

cheers.

As I said, I'm fairly ignorant regarding the pistol. Haven't a clue as to how the internals are designed, other than that it follows the core premise of an aeg. Wasn't even sure it had a gearbox - hence the question mark. Thanks for the info though... ^_^

Well, judging from the pic attached, the AEPs gearbox is a metal sub-assembly. I guess that's a good sign. If the internals were molded into the frame then, effectively, the gun would be a throw-away when something wore out. The fact that TM built a "proper" gearbox into it implies that they're planning on the gun having a reasonable lifespan.

The gears are made of metal. That's a good sign too. It also shows that the spring must be pretty strong since they would have used plastic gears if they thought they'd get away with it.

Whether real upgrades become available will depend on how well the AEP, as a genre, actually does. Sure, the G18c will cause a craze in Japan, and manufacturers will produce "easy" items such as the tight-bore barrels already seen, but I reckon they'll see if the gun is still popular in a years time before dedicating R&D resources to producing upgraded gearbox parts and electrics.

Let's face it, there's a whole wealth of existing airsoft guns with very little in the way of upgrade parts. I can't see any reason that after-market suppliers would suddenly rush to produce, for example, an upgraded gear set for the AEP when they haven't bothered to produce, again for example, a metal slide for the TM Mk23 SOCOM.

*Cherishes his KJ G23 that works in the sub 30F temps*

Mmmm....AEP uselessness...

right on... I've seen AEG's run out of juice in the cold while my TM M9 GBB was going strong... Ever stood at a bus stop in the cold and had your batteries die within the hour? These things might not be as effective in the winter as predicted.

I also doubt the 50m range... unless the BB's were lobbed. I've noticed that most lobbed BB's aren't even felt by other players, so basically it's useless that far away. If someone were to stand on a football field or some sort of marked range (maybe if you have a back yard you can get a ruler out and actually measure out the distance....

Even though this thing wasn't AS bad as I thought it would be, it's still pretty crappy IMO. Seems like one of those things I would see and laugh at. I mean a stick mag? Come on... how can you make a high cap out of that, even if it "looked" full size. What if you fell on your gun or dropped it? I'm sure it would break.

Gas guns have been there since the beginning. They will always reign superior. All of you people used to AEGs... go see a JAC or KWC M16 fired. Fear the sound of all that power and whatnot directed at you. I know when I was running up against guys with those guns (and a Digicon MP5), I didn't charge as foolishly as I did against people with AEG's... I mean... an electric pistol.... I just can't stop laughing...

Scizz, I know you said that the g18c would be good for cqb, but would it perform well as a sidearm for woodland?  I imagine it would do fine, but 200-210 fps might not be enough in the woods.

It's not too far below a small GBB - my KJW G27 (full metal copy of the TM G26, in case you didn't know) averages 221fps on Abbey Ultra in "temperate" conditions (i.e. 15*C or so ambient, mag warmed by hand)

By comparison, an SVI shoots at 296fps (same condtions), but I wouldn't call it accurate to fifteen metres, let alone fifty.

I generally use the G27 for Woodland (after all, it's really just to "see off" the opposition while you're fixing/realoading/swearing-at your primary weapon, or in CQB taking a building)

Let's face it, there's a whole wealth of existing airsoft guns with very little in the way of upgrade parts. I can't see any reason that after-market suppliers would suddenly rush to produce, for example, an upgraded gear set for the AEP when they haven't bothered to produce, again for example, a metal slide for the TM Mk23 SOCOM.

If it sells really well (which it will), then internal upgrades will be made available. People love to upgrade AEGs. People will love to upgrade the MAEGs too. A metal slide for the TM mk23 NBB? Hardly a very useful upgrade, is it? I doubt there will be a metal slide made for the 18C MAEG neither - but internals? You can count on it.

Not meaning to throw any more gasoline in "which world is the best world" debate or degrade this topic into one, but I have to point out that AEG batteries do run dry very, very fast in colder temperatures. A year ago my team skirmished the season ending game in October, it was about 0C (about 32F, right?) and my teammates had their AEG batteries dead in less than 20 minutes. Those were standard AK and mini type 8,4V batteries, I wonder how well the small AEP battery withstands the cold? I mean, lots of folks around these forums are praising the AEP functionality in cold weather, but how "functional" it in the end really is if you have to change & recharge the battery every ten minutes?

Granted, gas guns do not work well in colder temperatures. In the very same game my Marushin Mossberg worked fine with Top Gas, but the power was ridiculous. My KWC Colt Python (a gun known for it´s awful cooldown effect) didn´t fire at all and my teammate´s KJW Glock 23 GBB fired the BB, but didn´t blow back.

Just merely being a Marui AEG, this G18C AEP will have massive loads of upgrade & tuneup parts from different manufacturers, there´s no question about it. But for me, the idea of spending double the original amount of money for bringing the gun into same power level as Top Gassed standard gas gun, doesn´t make sense. But I also understand perfectly that there are people who are anxious finding a solution which is the most economical to run, no matter what it actually costs. I mean, how many cans of gas could you buy for your less-than-100$-gas gun for that same money? And if you´re using a pistol as a backup only, how many rounds you actually shoot off with that gun? Which choice in the end is truly cheaper?

I´m not trying to bash the AEP (especially since I haven´t tried one myself, altough I admit that the concept in the first place does not attract me), I´m just trying to show another perspective on the assumptions and expectations thrown here. Everyone´s entitled to spend their money on what they prefer.

i'd imagine he means on a walkman type thing.

Im also sceptical about this 50m range being talked about. I get the impression that the writer either doesnt know how far a metre is (or what the difference between a magazine and a clip is) or just lobbed the BBs at a 45 degree angle with mad hopup floatage

Sorry you feel that way...

(and yes I know the difference between a mag and a clip)

A magazine is a container of ammunition, in small arms this usually refers to a tube or box that helps feed rounds by spring. Usually you can still feed loose rounds into this type or firearm and it can function without it, they can be fixed or detachable. If a weapon is clip loading, you cannot load loose rounds into the fiream. Clips are integral to the firing of this type and without them, a firearm will not function.

I have a habit of saying clip instead of mag, in my book the words are basically interchangable. good day.

And no I didn't "lob" them. 50m aka 150 ft. Im sorry you dont believe my estimation.

First, I still don't really understand the "big deal" about the 50m range. I mean sure, it sounds a little absurd, but if you think about it: a BB advancing towards you at an estimated 205-215 FPS from 50m away? I'm going to have time to sit down and cut my toenails before the BB gets to me.

Range is not a part of the spark that interested me in this AEP. Neither is it part of the spark that interested me in the TM 18C EBB that came out this year. What

I am interested in is the gun's reliability. When there is no GBB available, I want something there for my trigger happy right hand. And since I live in Texas, just 45 min. outside of Houston, the cold weather is never an obstacle. It's 70F outside right now, I have to roll up my friggin long sleeves.

What also intrigues me about this gun is it's potential for future upgrades. I'm sure new, more powerful springs will eventually be available as well as others upgrades. I would also really like to see a metal slide, as well as perhaps a metal frame, available for the gun as well.

Sure, GBB's are more fun to shoot and much more realistic, but why not own both? I'm sure both are fun to shoot, just in "different ways".

However, I'm not going to be purchasing one just yet. I am awaiting a summary of it's use on the field and perhaps a video of it shooting. I also have some more questions concerning both the AEP and 18C EBB.

Now, the AEP has no blowback to it at all, right? So there's no "kick" to it? And does the EBB actually have "blowback" (does the slide move)?

>> And does the EBB actually have "blowback" (does the slide move)?

> EBB= electric blow back. So no it doesn't have blow back.

I assume the reply means the GAS doesn't BLOW it back, but the slide does move as IF it was blowing back, on each shot.

One question, though, did the original poster write the title of this thread? How can YOU decide if it's biased or not? People will judge that from what you write!!! Now, I'm sure you set out to be unbiased, but making such a claim is like a red rag to a bull!!! :)

210 or so FPS is a bit poor (most of my GBBs are happily pumping out 270+ in the current conditions), but that DOESN'T mean the AEP is a dead concept (anymore than the EBB is, actually). Chances are both will evolve. Some will take to the AEP, but others won't.

It will be interesting to see how things develop, but I'd be surprised if too many performance enhancing internals appear as the gearbox is very small and would require considerable skill to upgrade and, probably, is running closer to its limits in terms of engineering.

Still, I'll be on the lookout for a competitively priced one to review. I just can't guarantee it will unbiased... I will try, though :)

Cheers.

EBB= electric blow back. So no it doesn't have blow back. /sarcasm

For a video check out airsoft dynamics.

edit for clarity

I know what EBB means, but I was just curious as to if the slide moved like the GBB did. Thank you snowman for understanding me ;).

But I do think I may have an idea for a good review on the AEP (well, the 18C in general). I'm considering purchasing a KSC/KWA G18C, a TM G18C EBB, and a TM G18C AEP. After this, I will then compare the three on their positive, negative, and similar characteristics. Sure, that may run me a pretty steep bill, but it could not only save some of us airsofters the pain of these type of threads (the ignorance and arguing is painful), but it would get me, well, three 18Cs. You can never go wrong with three 18Cs :).

I'm going to be doing the financing for the purchase tonight. We'll see if I can afford to go through with it.

It will be interesting to see how things develop, but I'd be surprised if too many performance enhancing internals appear as the gearbox is very small and would require considerable skill to upgrade and, probably, is running closer to its limits in terms of engineering.

My point exactly.

As I previously said, there are god-knows how many metal receivers available for the TM M4/M16s. Yet the same companies haven't considered making a metal P90TR receiver. That's just one example. I could go on.

Basically, unless it's an Armalite or, to a lesser extent, an MP5, the after-market parts list is rather pitiful.

Ok, so some companies will get caught up in the "hysteria" of the AEP launch and produce upgraded parts. I honestly can't see any reason why a manufacturer, who is ALREADY content to simply make money from knocking out Armalite parts and is ALREADY ignoring other potential markets, would concern themselves with creating tiny parts which would be hard to engineer and produce accurately and then, consequently, be forced to charge a heavy price for them.

Let's face it, would you pay £50 for a handful of tiny gears which arrive in a packet the size of a condom wrapper?

Depends how many condoms it came with.

Erm...

No. I wouldn't. Then again, plenty of people pay just as much for some moulded bits of plastic in a different colour to the ones they have already (see: coloured M4 stocks/grips). That's why I painted mine, getting the same effect for about £3...

Archived