Are there any decent racing games on PS2?

GuzziHero

Ok...racing games. Well, apart from Riding Spirits II there doesnt seem to be any good ones. Gotta say now...I like realism from my racing. Brain-out, barrier slapping games do not do it for me at all.

Burnout series: Oh please. Junk!

Need For Speed Underground series: Yawwwwn!

Midnight Club series: Nurse...the bucket, please!

LA Rush: Wow...you can be a pimpin' street racer. Totally different to every other damn racing game out there then... :unsure:

Outrun 2006: Same old, same old. The formula never changes. At least Chase HQ had guns...

And now for the 'simulators':

GT series: I got totally bored of doing inane slow races to build up the cash for better cars. My GT3 got used as an airgun target.

TOCA RD series: Apart from World Touring Cars on PS1, every single TOCA game from Codemasters has cost me at least one smashed controller through frustration. Crappy game engines and hideously bad 'storyline' modes. They oughtto drop the cutscreens to make way for gameplay.

Formula One: The only one of these games to handle correctly was the very first one. Since then, Ive hated every edition of this series.

And finally...motorbikes:

RD II: Good game, if somewhat long-winded.

Crescent Suzuki: Belongs on a Megadrive

TT: *yawn*

And I havent tried the Moto GP ones cos I dont like the race series.

---

Are there ANY decent racing PS2 games out there?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How the hell didn't you find Outrun 2006 to be good?

It's the best racer I've played - it's just pure arcade racing, none of these crappy licence tests or anything. You just get in a high-speed car and drive with some cracking tunes playing with you.

//edit: Edited out some profanity that wasn't caught by the filter. I'm too used to posting on unfiltered forums :P

Depends what you want out of a game ,I got bored of unrealistic car / racing games the first time spyhunter came out on the 48K Speccy.

I like the Gran Turismo Series, Agreed the licence parts are annoying. But for accurate handling and realism there isn't anything better IMHO. and to get better car's if you can't wait... well cheat!

For Rallying then I dont think you can beat Colin Mcrae 2005.

I never played many F1 racing games, it's boring enough watching a race with everyone playing follow my leader let alone taking part in it.

There was a good Le-Mans game on the DC but I don't know if that ever made it onto the PS2

I don't like the teenybopper two fast two furious type of racing games so can't recomend one of that genre.

PGR2 falls under that category, and the series is just a rip of metropolis street racer from the DC days's

What about wipeout? I know it's a tired old fornat but I still enjoy playing it from time to time.

I forgot to reply to Viper. The licence things are boring but I can deal with that. Im just not into games where you just bolt everything onto a car and it wins every time, or like the GT series, it takes you 2 weeks of play to get anything half decent. I dont play for hours a day - I dont have the time or patience. I understand and like the idea of winning to improve your car/garage...its just too long-winded!

Im talking games based on proper race series, I guess. TOCA 3 is fab in concept where you develop as a driver but Codemasters just have no idea on gameplay. Id love to see a proper, well-made BTCC or WTCC game.

I forgot to reply to Viper.  The licence things are boring but I can deal with that.  Im just not into games where you just bolt everything onto a car and it wins every time, or like the GT series, it takes you 2 weeks of play to get anything half decent.  I dont play for hours a day - I dont have the time or patience.  I understand and like the idea of winning to improve your car/garage...its just too long-winded!

But you just complained about games without realism. If you want realism, you need to take the time to work on your car. If you don't have the patience for realism, then play a game.

Oh wait....

So what exactly do you want? You want a racing game that makes you use your brain?

Does such a beast exist?

Surely it's just "press the accelerator button until your car goes faster than everyone elses, turning the analog stick occasionally so that you go around corners" no matter what racing game you play?

Surely it's just "press the accelerator button until your car goes faster than everyone elses, turning the analog stick occasionally so that you go around corners" no matter what racing game you play?

No, thats just the format for the brainless Racing games. At least GT/other sim games require you to learn some form of cornering and racing lines unlike the other genres that allow you to bounce along the wall and still come first.

How many real racing drivers personally buy a road car then slowly build it into a racing car with proceeds just from their racing...? Starting off in a basic racing series and moving up through a career...fine. But Im just not into this pimp-my-ride deal. Thats just me.

I just want a game with some basis on a real racing series (not oh-so-cool street racing). where you actually have to brake into turns rather than pile round on drift... :lol:

Formula One: The only one of these games to handle correctly was the very first one. Since then, Ive hated every edition of this series.

Have you ever driven a formula one car?

Also, you're missing out on the Moto GP games- they're really quite good

How many real racing drivers personally buy a road car then slowly build it into a racing car with proceeds just from their racing...?

Umm...the Amateurs? Then when they start getting sponsored, they can start driving the Professional cars.

Duh.

I just want a game with some basis on a real racing series (not oh-so-cool street racing). where you actually have to brake into turns rather than pile round on drift... :lol:

What the hell? You really don't play racing games often, do you?

Have you ever driven a formula one car?

Also, you're missing out on the Moto GP games- they're really quite good

Hah...good point. From F1 97 on the PS1 through to F1 2001 (I gave up after that), the cars seem to turn in slowly then suddenly pile into turns giving a very jerky and unpredictable steering effect.

Ill try the Moto GP ones.

---

Viper: I play when I can find a good one...I wasnt specifically targeting GT with that comment.

---

Ah well, guess Ive answered my question. There really arent any (apart from the Moto GPs which I dont know about yet).

No, GT still lets you do that.

I beg to differ, try racing in one of the competitions where it's hard to beat the computer without having a grossly overpowered car, slide off every corner and hit the barrier / walls. You won't win. In the other 'racing' games its possible to crash at every corner, and still catch up and win.

Guzzi,I think what you want doesnt exist, you want realism but with the quick play factor of a burnout style game. I cannot think of anything that fulfills this requirement

Viper: I play when I can find a good one...I wasnt specifically targeting GT with that comment.

Well, stop playing ###### like Need for Speed Underground and start playing a real racing game. I never thought I'd find myself saying this, but get yourself an Xbox and get Forza Motorsport. That is just about as realistic as it'll get.

I guess what Im looking for is a TOCA-stye class-structure type game or a good-quality syndicated racing game. GT would be fab...if not for the tedious bit while you are building up your first good car, and if they added some damage physics.

Basically...a decent game with tactics.

*sigh*

BTW...I dont play brainout games like NFS etc. And I have to ask why you are trying to turn this from a discussion into an argument...

Archived