Armee Universal Gewehr

doc_newstead

When you're talking about the Steyr AUG, how do you say it?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. When you're talking about the Steyr AUG, how do you say it?

• A-U-G (ay, eww, gee)
    • Aug ('org', as in August)
    • Some other way

Just something that occurred to me when I was giving Banzai a bit of banter in the 'SCAR' thread :)

When you talk about the Steyr AUG, how do you say the name of the gun? Myself, I say it like 'org', but it occurred to me that some people might prefer to say the individual letters. I wouldn't profess either way to be 'correct', but I'm sure you have your favourite :)

Vote as appropriate B)

AUG = "Aiy-Yoo-Jee" in my book.

[begin_rant] It's an abbreviation, not a word. Is an M15 a "mis", a TMP a "tump", a VSR a "vizur"? I think not. [end_rant]

*Remembers the SPAS-12, and goes to hide in the corner* ;)

See, joking aside, that's what I meant Will. And that's why I went to pains to make the thread title as such.

I bet those Austrian sales reps call it an A-U-G, the Austrian Army call it an A-U-G... But that doesn't mean saying 'Aug' is wrong now, does it? :)

(You didn't really say ss-pee-ay-ss twelve did you? :P)

hehehe, absolutely doc. :)

My earlier post was sort of semi-serious / semi-jovial. It kind of annoys me when people call the gun an "ORG", but for some curious reason the "SPAZZ" is always how I've refered to the SPAS-12. I wouldn't call it an "Ess-Pee-Aiy-Ess Twelve" because it's quite a mouthful, but A-U-G isn't in my book (yes, I may have a strange book :) ).

Incidentally, it also gets right on my nerves when people refer to an SQL database server as a "Sequel" server - like it's hard to say "S-Q-L".

A pet hate of mine maybe (and I don't have many), but it had to be said. ;)

Of course, those using words like "Deagle" to describe the 50 cal hand cannon need to have their finger nails pulled out with rusty pliers in my opinion :D

Yeah, I know, but if I said to someone 'pass me my Steyr', they are hardly going to go 'erm, the AUG or the ACR?' Are they. With a company like H&K, fair enough, but with a company that only does like 2 rifles, and they are very similar anyway, it won't cause any confusion.

I was watching something on TV and there was a Austrian military bloke who pronouced it Ow-g, like Owl with a G where the L should be. He was talking in German so I think that's how they say it.

Part two of this question should be: how do you pronounce Steyr? It's SHteyr, the S pronounced as an 'sh' sound. Mind you, that sounds kind of dumb, like you're trying a bit too hard, and I'd probably laugh at someone who said it like that (unless German was their first language).

By the way, the TV programme had a section on Gaston glock, the gunmaker, being a rightwing nutcase who's a major funder of Jorg Haider's neo-nazi party.

Gnaha interesting to see how you folks try to pronounce german names :).

I think its really hard or even impossible for native english speaking persons to spell it out correctly if you never heard it from a native german speaking person.

The best suggestion is skeeter's :). If a word starts with "St" in german, it's spoken like "sch". The best approach in english is your "sh". Try to start the Name Steyr as you start "sh!t". The remaining letters of the name are spoken like your word "tire"

Try to speak "sh"-"tire".

sh!t-tire???? crazy europeans

not "sh!t-tire", "sh-tire" ... it's not absolutely perfect, but I think it's the closest you can get to the german pronunciation without hearing a german saying it properly.

schtire (IT AINT THAT HARD)

STG77 - afaik its Sturmgewehr Siebenundsiebzig or schturm-ghey-verr zeeb-in-oont-zeeb-zig

I hate english. (the langauge)

nice try :)

not "sh!t-tire", "sh-tire" ... it's not absolutely perfect, but I think it's the closest you can get to the german pronunciation without hearing a german saying it properly.

nice try :)

well, its not like ive learned it from a native speaker. But im clsoer than everyone else, except the german, so pfft.

Archived