Physical Fitness and Airsoft

craftiest

I see all these comments about how all the "unfit" people are fat, but what about the skinny little turds who can't even hold their gun and/or balance while running during a skirmish? We got a few of those guys that play with us, one guy falls a few times just about every game :P

Funny thing with the guys we play with the overweight guys are bloody good players.

The skinny 16 year old that can't hold a gun is the ones I am annoyed at. They complain about the weight of empty webbing and a 3kg rifle.

But more annoying are the spammers, who stand in the open and spam because their guns can reach those who can't hit them and doge incoming BBs. But thats not the issue in this thread.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea :D I mean, these little frail kids who cant even stand up most of the time get on my nerves the most. At least the big guys can carry their stuff without taking as many spills. Having to literally use the term "man down" in the middle of a skirmish can get quite annoying hehe :P

Well, I wouldn't say that being fit was absolutely neccessary, but it's definitely better. Of course, I'm a skinny "bean pole" at 5' 9" and 120 pounds, so I've never been worried about being overweight. Being fit gives you better power and stamina, so I would say it's extremely advised if you play even a small amount. Of course, being in-shape is always better than the alternative.

-Ready for extraction.

people have different body types.

1 rounded

2 always skinny

3 Musclular. (gets fat quick if... blah)

<sigh> wearing knee pads make me look like a dworf =[... n freaken elbow pads.. they almost over my whole forearm haha.

i maybe short 5"5 135 lbs (dang Mark D. Stroyer.. im heavier then u O_O) but then again i lift weights.. hehe benching at 205 :P

Just to play should not matter on your physical fitness level because it's all about playing and having fun. If you play with a group/team, physical fitness should be a bit of a requisite but not hardcore fitness. You should at least do some weights or cardio about an hour day. It would be better to have the group/team workout together if possible.

Even in the military you don't need to be very fit to get in. Check out these Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT) standards for ACTIVE duty. Non-active duty is a bit less.

Minimum:

53 situps (2 minutes)

42 pushups (2 minutes)

15:54 2 mile run

So, what are your thoughts on fitness in airsoft and should it be encouraged in your team? I don't expect my teamates to be like the governator but I think it would be good for them to have some endurance to skirmish the whole day and be fine.

edit: it goes lower and lower depending on your age group

The important thing to remember is that this is the entry requirement, it's just to ensure you're not going to have a heart attack during training. By the time you leave basic you should be far exceeding those requirements. By the time I left basic I was running a mile and a half in 9 mins 9 secs and doing at least 70 situps and pushups plus the Britsih Army use a beep test (run between two measured points, hitting the turn exactly on the beep and every minute the interval between the beeps gets shorter so you have to run faster).

As far as airsoft is concerned, a member of my team has a severely damaged ankle and had a heart attack 4-5 years ago but still plays. So long as you enjoy the sport weight should be no bar to playing.

Being physically fit in terms of stamina is absolutely an advantage in airsofting but should ranked against awareness, tactical ability etc. It depends on how serious you want to take it but on the whole if you're just doing this for fun then of course it doesn't matter. Having just got into woodland skirmishing, personally i know i want to be fitter because of playing style (I've realised my style just doesn't match my level of fitness and it was hot this weekend ARGH).

running is good, i do my mile and a half in 8 minutes and the beep test ends before i do ( i used to run marathons before i got lazy) it's probably the best training you can do to get fit for airsoft, with a few pushups and situps thrown in for balance.

weights are fine if your into that kind of thing but a little bit of CV is all you need for airsoft. To be honest i've never seen an airsofter struggling to keep up, even the fat ones aren't too bad. I mean airsoft isn't exactly hard and fast is it! I'd rather have a fat, unfit civilian whos clued up and a good shot on my team than a super fit recruit fresh out of training who don't know *beep*.

Darkchild

I think you should allow anyone to join the game. For you team is another matter. A specific team might or I think should have standards. What they might be is up to the team.

The less fit persons might get their act together when they play airsoft with fit persons. It's better from them to join a game and to move a little than to sit at home eating potato chips, right?

Noone should be excluded from a game. That opens doors to exclude other persons because of other "problems", no matter how trivial.

Let's face it. We're not any in any special-forces-die-hard-unit.

We play airsoft for fun!

I'd LIKE to have the people I play with be in reasonably good shape (something like the Army entrance scores) and not shrug off physical activity like some of the pansy bastards over here...

But that won't be the reality everytime I play so being a little overweight is okay with me as long as you can carry your weapon, gear, fight effectively, and not whine or *badgeress* that your calves and thighs are sore after going 5 minutes uphill.

Contrary to what everyone seems to be saying, I think doing interval training is a good way to stay in shape for airsoft-like events. Sure you have to walk long distances but when plastic starts to fly, you're generally going to be doing fast and sharp movements right?

Contrary to what everyone seems to be saying, I think doing interval training is a good way to stay in shape for airsoft-like events.  Sure you have to walk long distances but when plastic starts to fly, you're generally going to be doing fast and sharp movements right?

Actually, I agree with interval training, especially High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT).

Doing sprints and other similar drills would be good for explosive energy, or the type of energy needed to perform a quick rush or retreat.

:mellow:

To put it plainly:

Airsoft is a game. It's not real life military. Your life and the lives of others do NOT depend on your level of fitness.

Most people who airsoft are NOT military. Hence many are NOT fighting fit.

I myself am a bit on the heavy side - but I don't care, as it doesn't stop me from having fun.

I've noticed a few people assuming that if your unfit your fat, that totally untrue and also the other way around, if your fat doesn't mean your unfit! I have some extra weight on me, yet i'm a champion swimmer and can run for long periods of time. Plus one of the great things about airsoft is that it's a way for people to get out and loose some weight and get fitter!!

Yes, I reccomend HIIT to anyone. Just google it. Coditioning can be so boring but HIIT, althought harder (sometimes) makes the time fly by. I think ill try to get the tubby one in my team to start doing that. Ill even go with him. Thats a good way to get your team fit, don't just go tell them to do it, do it with them.

The only time I think being thinner is a good thing is....we have a guy who's pushing 300lbs as a sniper. I'm sure he wants to be a sniper because he hates the running and is always kvetching about his goggles fogging.

However, 300lbs is not easily concealable, he gets shot alot.

I like being a bit heavier - I'm in HK people - with my 6 foot 4 hieght and my 230 pounds I scare the ###### out of other players when I appear.

Does make it a *badgeress* when we have to do the trench arenas though.

Archived