PFI Smoke Cap "Silencer"

Catman

I can confirm that after use you do get powder/dust in your inner barrel[..]

Yeah you do get a bit of powder down the barrel - might throw off your accuracy a tiny bit and not a major deal unless you've left your barrel wet with silicone oil :P Definately step up barrel maintenance on the gun you're using it on.

Waving the gun/silencer around and you get wisps of powder coming out of it, so pointing the barrel up is potentially inviting some powder to fall down the barrel.

Yes, you can dry fire with the silencer on and you will get it producing "smoke" though it seems to produce more smoke when a BB passes through it.

Having used it on a few of my guns I think I prefer it on my MP5 PDW - it's a little cumbersome for my 1911 (doesn't appear to hinder it cycling which is nice) a little too fat. Still I prefer the shorter & thinner Delta Force silencer (which is just for looks really).

Oh and it won't fit on the M2 :( The refill/powder cartridge is too fat to fit down the barrel :( Oh well :P

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

This looks pretty cool. For $35 unshipped on WGC you get a silencer and a pouch for it, not too shabby a deal. Might get one of these and then an ACM KAC QD silencer from RSOV. If I get get the smoke cap to work in the QD silencer, that would make it doubly awesome.

This looks pretty cool. For $35 unshipped on WGC you get a silencer and a pouch for it, not too shabby a deal. Might get one of these and then an ACM KAC QD silencer from RSOV. If I get get the smoke cap to work in the QD silencer, that would make it doubly awesome.

Reason I bought mine. I figured "A suppressor that will work on 90% of guns with a threaded barrel for $35 and it's legal to import?" I just got it today. :)

Also, I've had a problem with the threaded end not being secured to the rest of the can after attaching it to an AEG. It was really difficult to get off because of that, so it's probably best to tighten the screws often. Maybe removing that little rubber bit will help also?

I was also able to get some foam to fit in instead of the smoke cap to make it an actual suppressor (which of course is considered illegal in the States, but-) so in case the smoke part runs out it's not useless.

Smoke refills at Redwolf: http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airs...il?prodID=23020

Bit more expensive than I would have though them to be though.

Also I found out that the whole outer part of the can was spinning, not just the threaded end, so tightening the front end of the suppressor will stop it, not the screws on the back as I originally thought. Funny how what you know changes so quickly, isn't it?

mine was rather "smokey" at first but has become less of an issue now.

I wonder how hard it'll be to refill these up with just talc or flour? I'm half tempted to stick the Smoke Cap on my M249... but silencers on a 249 just look very wrong :lol:

If you weren't just referencing the PFI grenade, then the PFI grenade.

If you were referencing the PFI grenade, then there was a thread on a grenade that used CO2 capsules to push a plastic cap away resulting in a loud pop noise, but I remember the reaction to it was pretty bad. I think it was also really expensive to use, as well.

Thread here: http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...7965&hl=grenade

And if you meant something entirely different, erm, whoops. :)

i got mine, tried to put it on a G&P M4A1 with a 14mm clockwise thread it just shreaded the thread on the smokecap :angry: , anyone had this problem with it? though i "made" it fit in the end, it still looks good

LOL sounds like you tried to put it on with the CCW adapter instead of the CW....

First impressions: I think the whole product is just a bad idea. The powder obvoisuly isn't secure in the silencer if it's dropping down the barrel when you point it upwards, and what practicality does a gun have when you have restrictions as to where you can point it? I bet if you attempted to take the weapon apart you'd find powder all over the insides. I can imagine it getting EVERYWHERE. It's all very well for those of you who want to go for the realism side of stuff, but I don't even think it looks that real. When the Real Steel goes off, the flash would cover up and distract most attention from the smoke. with this smoke cap thing, it just looks like youv'e fired one of the original 1800s rifles. :flamed:

In my opinion, I don't think it's a very good idea at all, but I suppose it could be good for mothers, if they fill it full of talc and dryfire full-auto their babies... I'm gonna be rich one day :D

First impressions: I think the whole product is just a bad idea. The powder obvoisuly isn't secure in the silencer if it's dropping down the barrel when you point it upwards, and what practicality does a gun have when you have restrictions as to where you can point it? I bet if you attempted to take the weapon apart you'd find powder all over the insides. I can imagine it getting EVERYWHERE.

If something is executed badly, that doesn't make the idea bad. And I don't think the PFI suppressor is poorly made. I share your concern about the powder getting into the barrel, but it doesn't exactly pour down when you point the thing up. The structure looks a bit like it's made to be "one way", and pointing the suppressor up didn't seem to release any powder downwards.

I don't even think it looks that real. When the Real Steel goes off, the flash would cover up and distract most attention from the smoke.

I suspect you haven't shot a real gun with a suppressor attached. I happen to own two real suppressors, and I've also shot various weapons with a suppressor attached. I think the PFI powder produces a quite realistic puff of "smoke". I would describe it "GBB realistic" in airsoft terms, which means it's a good impression although not precisely like the real thing.

with this smoke cap thing, it just looks like youv'e fired one of the original 1800s rifles. 

Then I must say you haven't shot a black powder weapon either. The cloud of smoke from a black powder weapon is HUGE.

-Sale

If you weren't just referencing the PFI grenade, then the PFI grenade.

If you were referencing the PFI grenade, then there was a thread on a grenade that used CO2 capsules to push a plastic cap away resulting in a loud pop noise, but I remember the reaction to it was pretty bad.  I think it was also really expensive to use, as well.

Thread here:  http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...7965&hl=grenade

And if you meant something entirely different, erm, whoops.  :)

Haha, thanks anyway and I will check out your referred PFI grenade, although I expect it to be not very loud. I want something as loud as a small fire cracker, but without being pyro.

Haha, oh my god, these things are freaking great...

Viper and I picked a couple up today, and MAN these things are the best creation ever...

I don't know about the powder dropping into the barrel when you tilt it up (doubt that) but yes, it does get everywhere. When we both took them off our guns, the threads (and barrel maybe?) were coated in the powder.

Haha, but they're soo much fun!

Sticking it on my K pumping out 25RPS creates a sizable cloud of powder around the muzzle... and shooter... Reminds me of new years eve lol.

Good stuff!!! I say you should get as many as you can fit on guns!

Found something out today, thought I should mention it.

The powder stains carpet. Really badly. If just a few small drops of powder should happen to fall on a light colored carpet and get rubbed in (not even heavily rubbed, if the carpet is just slightly disturbed it'll set in) it doesn't come out easily. So far I haven't been able to get it out yet, even with the vacuum, hot water and paper towels, and a scrub brush (the scrub brush did lighten the color up, but it may have just rubbed it in more).

What is this powder stuff made of anyway? It looks like graphite and talc.

• 2 weeks later...

I just skimmed through the thread, so I hope my question hasn't been answered before:

Can any owner of the smokecap silencer tell me if any of the "mechanics" needed to create the smoke effect are inside the silencer and not the inserts? Does the suppressor have any special vents, is the front opening wider or is there anything else to bear in mind that could stop me from using the insert in any other silencer wide enough to fit it?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Nope, it doesn't look like it, and the "cap" part will work even when it's out of th rest of the suppressor.  Might be hard to get it to line up perfectly though.

Thank you for the quick reply!

The "cap" part? Are you talking about the insert or is the silencer "cap" needed too?

Why do you think it would be difficult to algin? Wouldn't the insertion just be a process of thickening the walls on the inside with paper until the room is perfect for the smokecap insert to fit?

Yes, I was talking about the insert. I meant the "smoke cap insert" bit.

I don't think it'll be too difficult to align, but the inside of the smoke cap insert is only about a centimeter in diameter, so it doesn't leave too much room for error. Probably won't take more than a half-hour to get it to fit in, but I've not tried.

I don't think it'll be too big of a deal to fit into something, and it should just be a case of wrapping the insert with tape or paper so that it's big enough to fit into the silencer you're trying to get it into, but the inside diameter of the insert is only about a centimeter so it doesn't leave much room for error.

• 1 month later...

Archived