Non-national/civ/merc/PMC gear

p.briden

Hello everyone,

I just started skirmishing last week and I decided I'm going into town tommorow to the various army surplus stores to try and get some gear in time for my next skirmish on Wednesday. I'm not part of any team yet so I don't have any particular look to adhere to (though one day it would be nice to get on a team). In the meantime, I thought it would be nice to go for something a bit different to the usual crop of British DPM. I'm a big fan of the Bourne series of films and really liked the Treadstone Sniper character (aka 'The Professor'), so I decided that when I get my first RIF (later on) it will be a G3 (closest thing to a SIG 550, and they're very nice in their own right too). I wouldn't exactly want to go for the very civvy look of the sniper in the films but I like the idea of field assassins/mercenaries rather than getting gear for any particular national force or unit type. Does anyone have any suggestions for some appropriate kit?

To give you an idea of what I was thinking here are some examples I thought of;

Jacket: OD, Black or Flecktarn

Trousers: US Tiger Stripe, OD, Black or Flecktarn

Webbing: Black or OD

The idea would be a mix up of any of the above, for example an OD jacket with Flecktarn trousers, or a Flectarn Jacket with Black trousers etc.

the general look I was going for was - imagine if the treadstone assassins including the sniper were deployed as a unit to a warzone (such as Kosovo in the 90s).

further additions:

OD Shemagh as a scarf or wrap

Hat or Headgear is open to suggestions.

I've already ordered face protection in the form of Bolle X800 goggles and a Viper Half-face Neoprene mask.

thanks to anyone who replies.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I knew about the TM 550 but it was discontinued a while ago and is now as rare as hen's teeth. That and every review I've read of it says its not an example of TMs best quality.

The PMC thread was kind of a help, there seems to be an emphasis on 'no camo' in there though.

I've figured I'm after a jacket like this one; http://www.surplusandadventure.com/ishop/8...hopscr3496.html

I'm not sure whether to go with Flecktarn, OD, black or Tiger Stripe trousers though - they'd all look cool but I don't know which one might most be in keeping with an international assassin/contractor.

If the "International" Part is important to you, using a Camouflage currently deployed by a Country would be out of the Question.

I'm looking to do a look kind of the same to yours, with an emphasis that I'm a civilian playing Airsoft and not a Military Reenactor or Milsim Enthusiast, while not loosing the Ability to blend with the environment.

I thought about using OD Pants, Black Fleece, and a mix of Black/OD Low-Drag Gear, but I haven't gotten THE Look quite yet. ;)

Of course, if you intend to divert attention, using some third-party camo can do a wonderful job if you leave eyewitnesses / surveillance tapes. :)

And since assassins and mercs are 'illegal' anyway in international warfare, using 'false flag' isn't going to get you any more dead if you get caught.

I forgot to say that if you really want a Camouflage Pattern, there are a few non-Military Commercial ones out there. For Example the Begadi Rooivalk/Rooikat Suits are very well designed. I own both Rooikat and Rooivalk, and I'm planning to get the OD and Tan Versions as well. They're easily the best Combat Clothing I have come across.

Here's two Pics of Rooikat (Tigerstripe look-alike) and Rooivalk from the BEGADI Website:

bex-rooikat-anzug-details13.jpgbex-rooivalk-anzug-details15.jpg

E: Um, sorry about the huge Pics.

i think that tiger stripe trousers, black fleece (SPEAR), black watch cap and od rig would look pretty cool. if you have to use an od base then you could go for some thing like the contractors in Shooter od bdus or flight suit (flight would look better imo), black armour, od chest rig, od mich and other bits and pieces like need pads and drop legs in black

You may want to look into some 5.11 Tactical Khaki pants, they are nice and comfortable, and khaki works well in most places. You could do the khaki, an OD sweater (if I recall correctly one of the assassins in the bourne movies had an OD fleece turtle-neck) and some type of tan chest rig, or even 2 drop leg platforms could work.

www.tacgearstore.com has the drop-leg platforms for a good price.

• 1 month later...

How does this sound for a PMC immpression?

LBE = Sand/ Tan molle Plate carrier or Chest rig , BHI Serpa/ Uncle Mikes LE Pro 3 Drop leg holster and a OG web Belt with pouches

Clothing = 5.11 Khaki Trousers, OG British Army Fleece/ Snugpack Liner jacket finnished off with a Sand Baseball cap.

Weapons = Either a cheepsoft AK47s or M4/M203 and either a glock or berreta.

Thanks in advance

I would go for a commando pullover like this (not the best picture, and that's me btw), with black cargopants and a black watchcap. That would be just meanlookin'.

For a long gun, I would opt for a G36 front-end. It's really long enough, trust me. Something like this. although, if you're going for the '90s, a G3 would suit you better.

Old style tuck in BDU shirts always seem very non-PMC merc to me... like Christopher Walken in "Dogs of War"... Oh and Uzis... don't forget the Uzis... (jk ;) )

All kidding aside, I think your best bet might be to have a good mix of neutral colored civis with some camo and military gear (ideally of different national origin... ie. old style plastic G3 mag pouches with US ALICE suspenders, Rhodesian or Tigerstriped trousers and a darkish civi pullover).

Belladonna, isnt that just a variation on the UMBRELA Merc in the 2nd RE film?

Anyway, Decided on

Black Turtle neck top

Black watch Cap

Flectarn Parka

OG Combat trousers

Magnum hi leg boots

Chi Com chest rig & AK47S for a short

G3 and 58 Pattern Belt order(no yoke) for a long

with a berreta in a PLCE Holster

I think that would be a decent mix of Hard as FCUK and Effective soldier

Archived