Titanium gearbox

sealone90

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
not sure if you can even CNC Mill Titanium. I believe you have to forge/cast it.

It's machinable, it just sucks to do. Lots of coolant, carbide cutters, and profanity recomended.

I hate this kind of thread.

And honestly now, no one here is getting one made. What kind of Ti? Temper? Ready to pay a couple hundred for a raw lump of it, and then several grand more to develop the tooling needed to bang out one - a process that will cost yet another few grand?

And of course...WHY? Your Hayes box isn't broken, and neither is the AL box you could make for a fraction of the cost of Ti. Steel would be stronger, and cheaper to boot.

I hate these threads.

Find "The Battle of the X-Planes" it's been on NOVA a few times. There's a segment where they show Lockheed milling a bulkhead out of Ti, 5 months to make it happen!

not sure if you can even CNC Mill Titanium. I believe you have to forge/cast it.
Tappet plates are made of plastic for a reason. They have to retain a good deal of flexibility.

I stand corrected, I can't believe I forgot about the fexibility issue. On part with that, what about the tappet made in Carbon-Fiber or reinforced alloy carbon fiber?

Glenn is right,

Titanium can be machines it's just a ball ache trying to, You need high power CNC machines and mega tooling so you can just dive into it.

The mechanical properties side of it all depends on what grade you are using, Titanium in it's raw state has a tensile strength of about 430Mpa, thats about the same as a mid grade carbon steel, but if you get a nice alloy you can get it up to 1250Mpa.

The main reasons Titanium is used in industry is A: weight, and B: corrosion resistance to chemicals. So we don't care about B. The best place I could see it used in an airsoft gearbox is for the piston it's self if you want a high speed setup. This would give you a piston that’s about the same weight as an aluminium piston, but with loads more strength. The gears I would make out of a heat treated High carbon steel, and the gearbox i would leave as aluminium as this is not a particularly stressed part. The cylinder I would make out of a bearing grade bronze, this has good self lubrication properties so you can happily used a very light oil (thus not slowing your piston down). and the rest i would leave as be.

This would be my ideal setup, however i can imagine it would cost over £5000 to make, and remember that’s using an off the shelf gearbox.

I don't believe there is a holy-grail of gearboxes, but I'll keep my hopes up that there might be one.

I helped a friend build a Haynes box with a mcferson strut aka a m170. I have yet to see a broken one. In the end he shot me at over 300 ft in the wind and i called it. But other than that, I officially contribute nothing to this thread.

You should make a gearbox out of diamond, that's baller. Then put it in a JG m4 with a clear plastic receiver to show it off. You should put 22in rims on the gears too. Then put a whistler in the piston, gearbox goes WHOOP WHOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPP!

Ok I gave my reinforced v2 gearbox to the Machine shop today there project manager is going to look it over and see if can be done without costing a mint. I was told the prospect looks bleak. I see someone said something about casting now thats rite up my alley I been home casting aluminum brass and bronze for 14 years I could easiely cast a gearbox in those metals but not titanium Home foundry = not enough heat to melt titanium 3034F thats far from my capable temp of 2136F

Even at that it wont be smooth enough to just use some machining has to be done I have a mill and lathe in my basment shop so no problem there. I do know a foundry that I do work in that would pour the titanium for me into a mold that I make, however I would have to wait months till they shut down production for clean up. I had them pour some grey iron for me last year for a project I was working on.

Will keep you posted on the Ti GB

Doom

You should make a gearbox out of diamond, that's baller. Then put it in a JG m4 with a clear plastic receiver to show it off. You should put 22in rims on the gears too. Then put a whistler in the piston, gearbox goes WHOOP WHOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPP!

I'm gonna stick with tried and tested aluminium....

Well... That is, until they make an ADAMANTIUM mechbox! Possibly with Vibranium-steel alloy gears?

no you mold with casting sand -- sand casting easy and affordable and surprizingly you can get some very awesome detail from it sometimes it will come out fairly smooth sometimes not, depends on the sand you use as well as other factors. Do a search on sand casting your will be blown away by whats made that way engine blocks piston rings ornimental toy soldiers with high detail most metal is casted in sand not metal Think- Speak- React

Doom

Think

Come on man, this isn't happening and you know it.

Sand casting is fantastic, but to cast something to tolerance, never mind something from titanium, requires signifigant engineering. You don't stick your old gearbox in silica sand, make a mold, and poor metal. If you want to spend thousands on a cast gearbox, go buy a few dozen TM/CA/Systema/etc items...they're all cast, and frequently its that casting process which is part of the reason they fail. Casting IS great, but it's tricky, and when done on the cheap can lead to less than ideal parts...like stock mechboxes.

interesting <_<

and quite a number of very well-reasoned points.

like the OP, i still think Ti for the shell and some parts can benefit from Ti if costs were not a factor. why? why not?

would have done it myself a long time ago if i had the bottomless pockets the project required ;)

I am trying to have one machined. I cant cast one and yes you can get a high level of acuracy and detail from sand casting Look on the net folks its not as hard as you think. I do also believe I stated it would need to be machined after it was cast as you never get a perfect mold everytime. I will be headed back to the machine shop tomorrow to find out the cost and if it's worth doing it. I'm sure its not going to be cheap. I have been sand casting for many years experience is what it takes to consistantly make good molds. No I'm not saying they are all perfect but they can be done with enough accuracy that only light machining is required. The ring and seal factory I go to make there own rings, from Brass, grey iron and steel they loose 2 molds per 100+ and most times its due to a bad pour, not a bad mold. This shop does 90% of it's work for aerospace companies and military use.

Doom

How much are you willing to pay for something like that? Just an idea of how much Titanium items can cost, regular lockwire(safetywire or however you call it), stainless steel ones cost like $15 for one pound coil, Titanium ones cost $90 for the same quantity. This is aircraft safety stuff, mil-spec and all. Plus you have to pay for the CNC cost, CMM the original box and have someone make it out of Titanium at something like $90/hr, where they time you on programming the tool path and setup and then the actual machining operation. The reason to use titanium is that it is lighter than steel and has more than 2/3 the strength, plus its corrosion resistant. Something like that is good for aircraft components where the need something stronger than aluminum(can take higher temeperature), and wont rust when exposed to weather element, in an airsoft mechbox, its a waste of time/money/material. The load you are dealing with here is nothing a properly machined aluminum 6061 T6 can't handle. If you want strong gears with less weight, you'll be better off with carburized steel, maybe with some speed holes in the center to reduce its mass. It'll probably cost less than to have someone cut it out of Titanium, and way better in wear.....and like someone else said, bushing and stuff, you are better off using bearing/bushing grade bronze, instead of dealing with the galvanize corrosion of the titanium on titanium contact.....

We all heard how awesome some materials are, but they are only awesome when used properly(and we hear about it because they are being used properly in applications they excelled at), nothing is one case fits all solution(in that case the best material most often being steel). Hell if you wanna cast something crazy, trying making a Metal-Matrix Composite mechbox.....

OK folks this is gonna be way to expensive for 1 Gearbox the price would be $800.00. The reason it would need to be lazer scaned, to create a 3D template, then all dementions verified with special equiptment, then it would need to be intered into a cnc program, then cut. for several thousand the price would be better but not under $200.00 each

This is the price provided you supply the titanium I have a plate 12"X12"X3"thick and it wasnt cheap even getting it on discount from the shop i go to. I see no real reason to persue having one made from this metal. Maybe steel or even t-6061 or 7075 aircraft grade aluminum would be cheaper I didnt ask.

Doom

Or (as I have said) just buy a Haynes, they already did everything you just described as well as reinforcing and re engineering the V2 design its self.

The reengineering being the biggest factor because if you try to get something cnc'ed from scanning a cast item, then you are guaranteed to be off. The Haynes boxes have all the engineering done to them so that parts fit right.

Why dont you ask how much they would charge to have all the bearings go out to 8mm, thats a service i would pay for

Archived