Looking for a really nice AK

Mr.Hyde

Hello,

I have about $450 to spend on my next AEG. I have decided I really want a nice AK-47/AK-74/U/M/whatever.

I was looking at a few:

Real Sword Type 56 (planning on adding a 350 FPS spring and 9.6)

CA SLR-105 (wood or black grips, not sure on which)

VFC AK-74U (It's so cute!)

I really want a nice realistic AK, I love GBBs and I want my AEG to feel really nice. The Real Sword sounds like the best one to me, but feedback always helps. I need opinions.

If you have had one of these guns break, I wanna how when and why. Thanks ^_^.

Go for RMW! they make nice AK kits, but you can get them as a starter kit where they come with a CYMA gearbox which does around 370fps and is quite reliable, but if you want a different GB get the action one, and a systema motor:

http://www.russianmaniaworkshop.com/detail...P-04&cat=10

If you would rather buy a ready out the box AEG, get the VFC AK74M or AKS74.

I have only had experience on the RS Type 56 and it was an amazing first impression. You just can't have any better externals for an airsoft gun. The Real Sword is the equivalent of Norinco making their own guns.

You might want to check out the reviews of the gun on airsoftcanada, airsoftretreat and on arnies.

You would problably be happier going with a Dboys AK, as they are beautifully built. The extra cash you'll save will allow you to buy some real steel externals, or a PSOP or Kobra site. I have 2 Kalashs among others, and I've been and will continue to be impressed with their quality.

If you get hooked with the AK bug, you'll see your only real options are the RMW, Dboys, VFC, and Unicorn. They are all built more realistically compared to the TMs, are much sturdier, and some are made of steel. RS components are also much, much easier to install on them.

Real sword is easily the most "realistic" although i wasnt really impressed with the way it fired.

The VFC guns come with decent mechboxes right out of the gate and next to the RS guns definitely come in as being the most realistic.

Remove the CA gun from your list of possibilities, its a fairly bad replica of a real AK.

VFC are the nicest IMO, they're good, definitely in there with the best, and, if they break, parts are readily available for them - CA are like drugs...BAD, and as for RS, not a clue, but VFC in my book, or buy a cheaper one and go DIY on it's *albatross*!

I really dont think I would be happy with a Dboys, I am not looking for a clone.

Magz what was wrong with how the RS shot? Was it not very accurate? VFC do look interesting for sure, but I have heard of quite a few issues with the GB>

Get an AK BETA Spetsnaz (Looks ugly with the lowcap styled mag, get a hicap and bingo..)

Not enough for you? Get a AK47 Basemount which fits the BETA.

Perharps a silencer?

What to do with that 20mm under rail.. perharps a laser/flashlight? ^^

Or sod all that and get a drum magazine and a foregrip :D

I really dont think I would be happy with a Dboys, I am not looking for a clone.

Magz what was wrong with how the RS shot? Was it not very accurate? VFC do look interesting for sure, but I have heard of quite a few issues with the GB>

VFC are incredibly reliable. i'd recommend them any day. personally i;d buy their full size AKs74 and buy the new full steel Dboys AKS74U afterwards, the AKS is more practical but the AKSU is still lovable.

Get an AK BETA Spetsnaz (Looks ugly with the lowcap styled mag, get a hicap and bingo..)

Not enough for you? Get a AK47 Basemount which fits the BETA.

Perharps a silencer?

What to do with that 20mm under rail.. perharps a laser/flashlight? ^^

Or sod all that and get a drum magazine and a foregrip :D

so... he wants a realistic AK and you suggest a fake AK cobbled together from bits that TM had lying around.

Hmm..............VFC does sound interesting.

Again, I already said no Dboy/clones, not buying those. I have had 4 guns break on me in quick succession and dont want to make it 5.

So I am really down to VFC and Real Sword, right now I am kinda leaning toward the Real Sword because it's said to use real gun parts. Plus the bayonet and video on redwolf look REALLY cool.

What are the down sides of the real sword?

Also what are the down sides of the VFC?

Could I really go wrong either way? From the sound of it they are both very good guns. The finish looks better on the RS to me, the VFC is has a really shiny black finish on the 74U.

Having seen a G&G M16 catch fire from a lipo and melting, I am not really sure I want one. lol. In fact I refuse to buy G&G due to their quality control issues. I look at them as highly overpriced clones. I know they arent clones, but I have seen more JG guns working correctly then G&G.

I know RS isnt exactly like a real AK, but it just looks very good to me.

Dont see why it would break on you if you upgraded it completely (hence why I suggested the upgrades).

But no, the RS doesn't use real steel parts, it uses parts made to real steel specifications. Out of VFC or RS, I would choose VFC simply because more aftermarket parts in case something goes wrong.

Personally as current or past owner of most of the choices banded about I'd go for the RS plain and simple

Rip the 300 FPs spring out if you're wanting something a bit meatier and chuck the spring of your choice in its place

Alternately if you're sticking with 300 FPs swap the hop rubber and bucking over to something a bit softer than they supply as standard. Like spring for like the performance of the VFC and the RS T56 is pretty much evens.

seeing as removing barrels from trunnions isnt exactly part of an AK takedown the realistic takedown gets a bit academic If the VFC was made out of plastic the fact it had a barrel thru pin wouldn't exactly be the be all and end all of wether it would win out over a gun that doesnt (and in comarison to the barrel being pinned that goes in the VFCs favour the RS has a proper gas tube that the VFC lacks, has a proper mag latch etc) .

As it stands the RS T56's use of the set screws for barrel securing is a niggle but not end of the world and when finish detailing etc of one is compared with the other the pros outweigh that particular con IMO.

Hyde, what have you heard about the internals of the VFC ak's?

Thus far all of the guns have been just fine albeit the older ak74su's dont have the best components in them. I hate the nozzle and the stock shimming could be a bit better. I think VFC shipped a batch of guns with the spur gear lacking and and all left side shims which caused it to grind on the gearbox case.

Having said that, the newer AK gearboxes are beautiful, everything is poly carb, the cylinder head has one of the best airseals with the nozzle that i have ever seen and the casting on the gearbox shell is stupidly precise. The only downside to any VFC AK is that they come with nylon bushings but again, its really not that big of a deal to change it out.

The reason why im not the biggest fan of the real sword Ak is that it has a few more takedown steps, than the VFC. Its really not THAT big of a deal but for a gearbox junkie like me i absolutely adore my VFC ak's because all i need to do is remove two screws and the box is in my hands.

I also wasnt all that impressed with the bolt on the real sword, it doesnt travel back as far as it should. Yes, i know im a weirdo but when i reload my AK's i actually rack the bolt. You cant do this to the same degree on the real sword.

Despite these minor niggles i will conceed that the real sword is probably one of the most gorgeous guns ever created. I mean talk about the quality of materials, the real sword has it in spades.

Still, the new finish on the VFC AIMS and their upcoming AK's is perfectly passable as a "real firearms" finish and looks quite beautiful.

The bottom line is that whichever gun you choose you'd be making a good choice as they're both the pinnacle of airsoft engineering as far as im concerned.

Thank you Magz for clearing up the VFC thing. I looked into them when they first came out, so the issues you mentioned are what I was talking about earlier. Also I had heard about the really bad mag wobble on the new VFC AIMs, so I thought not a lot had changed.

Well seeing as I really cant go wrong with either, I think I will get the real sword just because I prefer how AK-47 look, even more so with bayonets. ^_^

Thank you to all who posted suggestions in this thread XD

I own 6 ak varients and a real ak. by far the only thing that comes close is the realsword. i will agree to a measure that the fps is not the highest in a world were all the clones shoot a lot closer to 400 instead of 300 but its still easily competitive range and accuracy.

realsword was a good choice to make, not to mention real steel dust covers fit on it :)

Mag wobble in the AIMS?

All of the ones that have passed through my hands have little to no play. The stock magazines just suck but that gets replaced anyway.

Enjoy your real sword, im more of a VFC man myself but i wont discount how cool the real sword guns are.

Oh, one more thing that i will say is that real sword has the right idea. Guns should be built with the capability of being upgraded, they should not come shooting 440 fps like most JG's.

Thats *albatross* backwards as far as im concerned.

Over engineer them out of the box and allow the end user to drop in whatever spring he sees fit. Real sword did the right thing with their gun.

Archived