The Israelis bombed a remote place in Syria last year

Delfi

I'd guessed this might be the case ... if you recall some Israeli jets bombed the ###### out of a remote site in Syria last Sept ... the Syrians were remarkably quiet about it ...

The CIA video on this web page is compelling.

D

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IIRC they popped round through Turkey and were running some sort of jamming of the air defenses.

Spot on ... ISTR they went massively north to the end of the Med and then swung back towards home.

Must have refueled (but by whom?) given the ordnance that they were carrying. The intel on this is awesome though. To co-ordinate a raid like this is just plain Israeli : :D

I wouldn't imagine that jamming of radars posed a real problem to them.

Audacious though ... and still we have the deafening silence from NK and Syria.

Spot on ... ISTR they went massively north to the end of the Med and then swung back towards home.

Must have refueled (but by whom?) given the ordnance that they were carrying. The intel on this is awesome though. To co-ordinate a raid like this is just plain Israeli : :D

I wouldn't imagine that jamming of radars posed a real problem to them.

Using a 707 tanker in Iran Air colours if memory serves....Well in some civilian airline's colour anyway, hid it in plain sight :)

Didn't the Israelis manage to pull off a surgical airstrike against an Iraqi reactor that was being constructed some years back though?

The 1984 Osirak raid. The lead pilot, Ilyan Ramon, was one of the crew members killed in the Columbia explosion.

Bit of a dilemma isn't it?

On the one hand, the Syrians are text-book baddies and we're better off grinding them under our civilised, western, christian heel.

On the other hand, the USA has a history of lying about intelligence reports and twisting the meaning of legislation to its own ends when they fail to receive permission for their own aims.

Add their fanatical loyalty to the thuggish israeli government and you've got a situation where it's anybodies call.

That name rings a bell along with the shuttle explosion. Naturally there is a conspiracy with that connection as well.

:rolleyes:

Ramon was a talented pilot, which makes him a natural choice to be the first Israeli in space, which he was.

Bit of a dilemma isn't it?

On the one hand, the Syrians are text-book baddies and we're better off grinding them under our civilised, western, christian heel.

Probably true.

On the other hand, the USA has a history of lying about intelligence reports and twisting the meaning of legislation to its own ends when they fail to receive permission for their own aims.

Considering that Israel is surrounded by enemies, is it logical for them to antagonize Syria further without having a really good reason, such as not wanting one of those enemies to have nuclear weapons? It certainly fits with what they did at Osirak.

I also get your implication that the US is beating the drums of war against those poor, innocent Arabs. I'm not buying it. We're already in a pretty deep hole in Iraq. Why would we want to go further? What gains would it bring?

Add their fanatical loyalty to the thuggish israeli government and you've got a situation where it's anybodies call.

Thuggish. Sure. And HAMAS, FATAH, Hizbollah, etc. are a the kind of folks that you'd want running around freely in your own country. Tell me, would you have wanted IRA folks doing whatever they will throughout London and Liverpool without any action to stop them?

Thuggish. Sure. And HAMAS, FATAH, Hizbollah, etc. are a the kind of folks that you'd want running around freely in your own country. Tell me, would you have wanted IRA folks doing whatever they will throughout London and Liverpool without any action to stop them?

Heh, yeah.

Oddly enough, when I talk to people about Israel I often ask how they'd feel about the Irish if the Irish Army came tramping through an English town to arrest a suspected terrorist and then demolished the building to stop it becoming a shrine and shot anybody who tried to get in the way.

Thing is, that IS the way Israel treats Palestinians.

TBH, I am 80% certain this was the right course of action.

I was just making the point that the way the USA (and, by association, her allies) has acted recently makes it far easier to discredit these kind of operations.

Beyond that, I suppose it's unfair that, now we have the ability to make nuclear weapons, we get to decide who else can evolve a nuclear energy program (and an associated weapons program) but I guess most of us in the western world recognise that and, basically, just think "tough sh*t" cos there are undeniably a lot of unstable nations who couldn't be trusted to maintain a nuclear energy facility or develop nuclear weapons.

Considering that Israel is surrounded by enemies, is it logical for them to antagonize Syria further without having a really good reason, such as not wanting one of those enemies to have nuclear weapons? It certainly fits with what they did at Osirak.

I dont want the US, with a ludicrously rogue government capable of any crimes without remorse, to have nuclear weapons. I still dont want to see any part of their country bombed (except ###### Cheneys and Oliver Norths offices!).

Heh, yeah.

Oddly enough, when I talk to people about Israel I often ask how they'd feel about the Irish if the Irish Army came tramping through an English town to arrest a suspected terrorist and then demolished the building to stop it becoming a shrine and shot anybody who tried to get in the way.

Thing is, that IS the way Israel treats Palestinians.

And look at the way the PLO treats the people they're supposedly trying to "liberate." They steal their money and use them as human shields.

TBH, I am 80% certain this was the right course of action.

I was just making the point that the way the USA (and, by association, her allies) has acted recently makes it far easier to discredit these kind of operations.

Absolutely. Althought it's going to take years to see the extent of the damage that Don Rumsfeld and Paul Wolfowitz have done to the American military's image and capabilities, you can already see that it is fairly extensive.

Beyond that, I suppose it's unfair that, now we have the ability to make nuclear weapons, we get to decide who else can evolve a nuclear energy program (and an associated weapons program) but I guess most of us in the western world recognise that and, basically, just think "tough sh*t" cos there are undeniably a lot of unstable nations who couldn't be trusted to maintain a nuclear energy facility or develop nuclear weapons.

Probably a wise decision. I don't want to see South Korea or Taiwan getting nuclear weapons any more than I want North Korea or Syria to have them.

Probably a wise decision. I don't want to see South Korea or Taiwan getting nuclear weapons any more than I want North Korea or Syria to have them.

A serious war was finished with nukes ... starting one with them would be foolishness beyond belief.

You'ld have to have a rock solid belief in God 'n stuff ... Oh shiiiiii ....

A serious war was finished with nukes ... starting one with them would be foolishness beyond belief.

You'ld have to have a rock solid belief in God 'n stuff ... Oh shiiiiii ....

Please, let's not bring religion into this. It would devolve* into a Dawkins v. Robertson sh#tstorm.

*NOTE: To be fair to those who don't believe in the theory of devolution, it could also be intelligently demolished.

Gotta say, I don't think you even need to factor in a nuclear war before getting really worried about a lot of hick nations having nuclear energy.

Basically, any country with nuclear power and an unstable economy or a likelihood of terrorist attacks has the potential to become the next Chernobyl.

And that most definitely includes Israel.

I wouldn't put Israel on the same level as, say, Transnistria. Their economy is anything but weak and they have a strong enough military to protect their nuclear weapons.

An Israeli launch would be perpetuated by fear of being literally driven into the sea. They have the Jericho missile and could destroy the capitols of all nations around them with little warning.

From the Wiki article on the Israeli nuke program:

1. A successful Arab military penetration into populated areas within Israel's post-1949 (pre-1967) borders.

2. The destruction of the Israeli Air Force.

3. The exposure of Israeli cities to massive and devastating air attacks or to possible chemical or biological attacks.

4. The use of nuclear weapons against Israeli territory.

(From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_and_nu...apons#Doctrine)

I wouldn't put it past the Israelis to have purposefully leaked this information to warn their Arab neighbors. After all, what good is a deterrent if nobody knows about it?

Archived