Airsoft International,

Mat

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We could run one, but our news section would be about half a page long and a month out of date. :D

Also, no matter what articles we chose to write, we would have 5,000 hate mails criticising us for not writing about something else. ;)

Comical admittance - I discovered myself on the front covers of one of the past AI magazines with my face blacked out. Apparently the review was for Partizan oversuits, but unfortunately they'd chosen to use me a picture of me with a SPOSN Gorka-E oversuit instead. Not that they can blamed for this. I suppose most Russian oversuits blend into one for the uninitiated. ^_^

I enjoy reading most airsoft magazines, when I get a chance. AI is without a doubt one of the more commercial, and reminds me in many ways of Safezone's approach.

I have to confess that I prefer to read Popular Airsoft. Even though it's an online only magazine, it's a lot cheaper and the articles are generally detailed and interesting to read. It also strikes me (but I could be entirely wrong) as more independant, owing to the less blatant commercial endorsements it has (but then it has this freedom due to it being a web published text). I've yet to read Milsim, but I'd be keen to have a nosey in that, also.

However, all of the magazines have a place - if only for the fact that they help legitimise and popularise what is really a fringe sport in the eyes of British society.

Hi there :)

Thanks for putting me on to those two magazines, looks like my subscription money will be going to those two.

No worries. You may hate them both (like I say I haven't even read Milsim), but if AI isn't your bag it won't hurt to give some of the other publications out there ago.

I think there's a link to a lot of different airsoft mags on our news page (as and when Arnie gets a chance to update them). Might be worth having a nosey there. :)

On a broader topic (and I keep saying this), I think AI are wasting their time printing reviews of news stuff. Due to the constraints of publishing, you can get 3 months worth of opinion about any new item on the internet before you can read it in AI.

It also makes AI look bad when, for instance, they review something like the G&G L85 and say how great it is when, by the time the magazine hits the shelves, the rest of the world knows it has obvious fundamental flaws. Credibility -1.

Dead on, the main problem i see with AI is they can't get new airsoft guns enough in advance to make it worth it, IF they could get new AEG a month or two before they were released and had access to say a private site where they could basically skirmish the hell out of them, keep track of how many rnds go through each gun in stock form in a short period of time and then write a review and have it come out around the time the gun is released then they'd be onto a winner.

As thats unlikely to happen i think they'd be best taking a load of AEGs and doing long term group tests, something like testing all the different brand MP5s/M4s/G3s/L85s/G36s agains't eachother for around 8 - 10 months (or around that times amount of regular skirmishing) and do a write up. At least then they won't end up with reviews going along the lines of "we've had this gun for 3 days, had 50rnds through it and it shows no sign of breaking, 5/5!" like most reviews seem to be ;)

I did actually buy a copy of AI a few months ago and iirc the editor had a little bit about how good his systema PTW was...and then it said he'd owned it for 3 months!

It also makes AI look bad when, for instance, they review something like the G&G L85 and say how great it is when, by the time the magazine hits the shelves, the rest of the world knows it has obvious fundamental flaws. Credibility -1.

I fear your memory is failing you there Stealthbomber. I'm the guy who wrote the review on that gun (and it was a fair while ago). It broke on us, and was reported as such.

Would an apology for your blatantly incorrect statement be too much to hope for?

Regards,

Jay.

Comical admittance - I discovered myself on the front covers of one of the past AI magazines with my face blacked out. Apparently the review was for Partizan oversuits, but unfortunately they'd chosen to use me a picture of me with a SPOSN Gorka-E oversuit instead. Not that they can blamed for this. I suppose most Russian oversuits blend into one for the uninitiated. ^_^

That's the problem with using someone who doesn't know anything about airsoft to do the design work... I was as surprised as you to see that picture appear on the front cover, mate. :unsure: Same camo, different suit - shouldn't have even submitted it, confusion was sure to commence...

As you may have gathered - I wrote that piece (and used to do all the camo section articles). And FYI, I wrote them - I didn't copy the content from Wikipedia (or anywhere else). But, I don't write for the magazine, or sub-edit/proof-read/fact-check anymore (haven't done for the past 2 issues)...

I fear your memory is failing you there Stealthbomber. I'm the guy who wrote the review on that gun (and it was a fair while ago). It broke on us, and was reported as such.

Would an apology for your blatantly incorrect statement be too much to hope for?

Haha.

No, it certainly wouldn't be. :D

Sincere apologies for implying your review was at fault.

TBH, I wasn't even aware you'd reviewed the G&G L85. I just picked it as a good example of what can go wrong because of the way so many people seemed to think it was great for a while but, after moderate use, could turn up its toes in a big way.

I certainly apologise for accidentally contradicting your review.

As I think I've said before, I've always found your gun reviews VERY good quality, very well written and very detailed.

I used to quite like AI... But have recently stopped buying, due to the irritating fact that most of the articles are written in the exact same style as posts by forum n00bs on here.

That is, they spned ages going T.M. this, T.M. that, and as soon as the Chinese come along with some ###### clones, they start knocking high-end Japanese guns (and C.A.!) in favour of some unreliable cheapsoft piece of ######.

That and the Jay Kenton comment in this issue about Tanaka's, which although might have a basic ring of truth to it, rattled my cage :(

Oh, and another thing. These ACM guns getting great reviews, and being described as excellent beginner guns... 'All you have to do' is re-grease, re-shim, re-wire, and basically re-build the *fruitcage* thing!

Yeah, awesome beginner guns. /Facepalm.

Not only are they nowhere near as reliable as T.M., or other proper A.E.G. makers (some don't even work out of the box!), they are too powerful for n00bs, who have a tendancy to spray, blindfire, headshot at close range, etc etc...

Ben.

Ben,

What comment did I make about Tanaka's in the last issue?

Oh, and as for comments about some ACM's being "excellent beginners guns", some of them are. You get the gun, a Hicap or two, battery (which generally ain't much cop, but its a start) and a charger. Add safety goggles, and you're set for the skirmish field. Do King Arms, CA, G&G, TM, VFC or the like do guns as a full package? I think not - and lets be honest, not everyone can afford to splurge a serious amount of money on their first shooter.

Well, given that the gentleman in question posted right above you, I'm sure he'll be available for comment shortly. :P

:o<_<

Maybe he's a Chairsofter ;)

After all;

"The number (of forum members) who actually get out and go play is but a fraction of those who hold forth at length on the subject."

(Frenchie, 'French Letter', Page 63, Airsoft International July 2008)

Oh look, THAT's how you quote/credit someone/thing! :rolleyes:

Ben.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Copyrights

Now that's an interesting read, quite heavy going, but I definately didn't see the original authors credited in the magazine, or the GFDL license repeated.

As I've said to others, I found some of the articles interesting... well 4 articles in 3 magazines, all of the the technical ones. With around 50% of this months magazine given over to advertising, of the remaining pages two were given over to promoting an event that has passed and the Cover Story (meant to be the big sell piece) isn't an original piece of work... it just doesn't leave much reason to open the mag, now if the technical guys all got together and just did a technical support mag, that I'd buy.

Ben,

What comment did I make about Tanaka's in the last issue?

Oh, and as for comments about some ACM's being "excellent beginners guns", some of them are. You get the gun, a Hicap or two, battery (which generally ain't much cop, but its a start) and a charger. Add safety goggles, and you're set for the skirmish field. Do King Arms, CA, G&G, TM, VFC or the like do guns as a full package? I think not - and lets be honest, not everyone can afford to splurge a serious amount of money on their first shooter.

You get a ###### gun, that might not even work, and definitely needs some looking at to work anywhere near well, ###### accessories, a ###### battery, ###### safety(MAY be safe, you think they really care about your eyes?!) glasses, a ###### charger that may or may not set your house on fire (You never know!), and a small pack of ###### BB's that may or may not jam your gun (If it even fires out of the box!).

And the quote that yanked my chain was;

"...Then there's the Tanaka Kar98K rifle, which is fun to use, but as a sniper will never match the accuracy you can attain with a Marui VSR-10."

(Jay Kenton, 'On Test: AEG Review', Airsoft International, July 2008, Page 49)

Hmmmmm. Considering the amount of stuff I've personally posted trying to convince the 'l33t sn1p0r b0yz' that a VSR-10 or it's clone is not the be all and end all of airsoft snipers, it annoyed me.

A stock Kar-98K versus a stock VSR-10... Not a lot of difference.

An upgraded VSR v.s. a stock KAR, fair enough. But that's only because there aren't that many upgrades available.

Plus it's implying that Tanaka's aren't viable skirmish tools ('Fun to shoot, BUT'). I dare anyone who has been shot by my A.I.C.S. to disregard it as 'fun to shoot'!

Ben.

:o<_<

Maybe he's a Chairsofter ;)

Ben.

LMAO - that comment has put a right grin on my face :)

I've head marshalled two sites, played in sites in the depths of wales, north of Hadrians Wall, and far south enough in England to get rather wet in the English channel if i decided to walk half a Klick south. I'm one of the organisational team for Comrades in Arms WW2 Airsoft, spent last weekend helping run the Advance to Contact MilSim event, and i've been taking Airsoft guns apart since before you left Junior school...

Now, if thats Chairsofting, then what does that make you? ;)

Now, back to the point - what article was the Tanaka comment in?

**edit**

You posted, as I was typing.

Having owned 3 Tanaka K98's, and an M700 over the years - and modified all of them, I think I know what I'm talking about. It's a simple *fact* that you will not get a Tanaka to perform as consistently as a VSR. Ask the 20 odd people who were toting Tanaka K98's at the Battle of Bryansk what they think of them - and then ask those who have built custom K98's with VSR and clone internals why they have done so.

**second edit**

Put a fully upgraded VSR up against a fully upgraded Tanaka (powerbolt, barrel, gas route springs, 3rd party Hop system etc etc), and the VSR will *still* come out on top.

I can understand why it's done but they seem like they just sell themselves and advertsiers full stop. Last issue was AI500 this and AI 500 that. Blah blah. For the past year it's been U.S. camo and armalites. I pretty much opened it browsed through once and left it on the side.

I'm interested in the staff shooters, some of the reviews of which are something other then Armalites/AK's (yawn) and some of the camo and site reviews to see what's out there. The odd real deal thing is nice but once again it's American based rather then U.K based which after all is where the mag's from. They have a a new staff writer, a para i think so might move onto something.

Glad it has moved onto something else as in the WW2 scence but seeing it's something more people want to do then actually do maybe it's to a limited crowd.

Kind of on the fence about AI at the moment, doesn't seem like anything i haven't read on this forum.

K3MP0

LMAO - that comment has put a right grin on my face :)

Well... We just don't know... I mean, you ARE a forum member;

"... Yes - What they really know could often be written in big letters on the back of a postage stamp."

(Frenchie, 'French Letter', Airsoft International, July 2008, Page 64)

And as it's published word, we can all assume you lot know a lot more than us forum members.

;)

Ben.

EDIT:: Exactly.

But those are un-upgraded Kar98K's. My A.I.C.S., with the VSR Chamber conversion, 6.03 tightbore, Nineball HOP rubber, G&G Powerpack, etc etc, is definitely a skirmishable tool, and I haven't seen many VSR's that could outshoot it, either.

If you read my older posts, you will realise that we KNOW the VSR HOP unit is better than the Tanaka. Fair play.

But that does not mean the VSR will outshoot the Tanaka. Especially when it has the VSR HOP unit installed. When you throw in the adjustable power, as well... It's more than accurate enough for skirmishing, and the external quality seals the deal.

they seem like they just sell themselves and advertsiers full stop.

You thinking of the Viper Digital DPM "camo feature" in the June issue by any chance? :D

Oh look - this month its ACU, and next month is Multicam (for the 10th time)........

I can understand why it's done but they seem like they just sell themselves and advertsiers full stop. Last issue was AI500 this and AI 500 that. Blah blah. For the past year it's been U.S. camo and armalites. I pretty much opened it browsed through once and left it on the side.

100% Seconded

I'm interested in the staff shooters (etc)

I may of missed a issue but havent all the staff shooter articles been armalites as well? (other than at least one which i think was a mp5)

Hopefully things will improve soon (Gadge is doing a great job with the WW2 articles), but as it stands i wont be buying another issue (and sure as hell not subscribing again) <_<

Ai rant thread.....Ai rant thread....Ai rant thread......

And as it's published word, we can all assume you lot know a lot more than us forum members.

;)

Ben.

But as i'm a forum member as well, does this negate the validity of your comment? (sorry, shouldn't do philosophy till the 6th beer really - it screws my head up)

Now there's a conundrum! :P

Jay.

Archived