Flecktarn Vs. US digital

onidemonXLR

And why can't we progress past flecktarn, may I ask?

Someone needs to post lizard.jpg to show how effective digicam is.

edit: You want blending? This is blending! http://multicampattern.com/IMAGES.htm

How can you improve on perfection?? Flecktarn is the result of over 60 years of camouflage evolution... MARPAT is what?? 2 or 3 years old?? at best?? plus it's nothing more than a cheap knockoff of real digital, aka CADPAT

If Flecktarn "sucks", then why have I not seen people who were laying on the ground 10 feet in front of me when they were in full Fleck, if they were wearing marpat I would've seen them.. and shot them...

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I see. ACU will obviously be working at its most effective when standing in a sun drenched clearing backing onto a dark wood... do you not think that the shadows in the woods would darken the colours of the ACU, hence allowing it to blend in more effectively with the woodland?

Of course it would, then it'd be a grey blob instead of a huge white one.

Of course it would, then it'd be a grey blob instead of a huge white one.

The fact that it is grey/tan doesn't mean it won't work in a green/brown environment. It doesn’t matter if the camo doesn’t look exactly like the colours and shapes of nature, what is important is how the eye perceives it. In fact, field grey (as modeled by the Germans in WW2) is one of the most effective all round camos tested, and it is just a flat colour. Grey doesn't work because its the same colour as its surroundings, it works because it's neutral. The human eye and brain have a tendency to blend grey (and other neutral colours) with whatever the predominant colour around it is, provided it is a reasonably similar shade, and with the two shades in the ACU it looks like they have all bases covered.

When/if you reply to this, please try to back your opinions with reason.

For the record - I wear Flecktarn cammies and chest rig (see photo below), but I also like CADPAT, MARPAT, TigerPat Plus and Multicam VERY much too.

I've played with some guys who wear MARPAT and it works very well at diffusing the shapes and patterns so that you just blend into the foliage. I've seen plenty of photos that show CADPAT and Multicam being extremely effective at helping guys to disappear into the undergrowth too. TigerPat Plus isn't actually in production yet so we can't say for sure what it will look like.

As for the effectiveness of ARPAT (not!), read these:

http://www.paratrooper.net/commo/shwmessag...essageID=164222

http://www.hyperstealth.com/acupat/

Flecktarn is a cool pattern, it works very well in some environments and there is a lot of really good clothing and kit available in it as well. I happen to like it best for me at the moment - and it works well with my G36K - but I'm not going to sit here and slag off other people for their choices.

When/if you reply to this, please try to back your opinions with reason.

#1 arguing tactic, make the other guy look like a misinformed coward.

Nice job.

Anyways, I prefer Flecktarn over US digicrap cause I've seen it in action and it really does blend in better here than MARPAT.

Calm down Gentleman :D

Flecktarn is a nice camo. In the right environment.

Also US Digicam can work nice. In the right environment.

It depends on the environment which camo you should choose.

Flecktarn is made for middle/easter Europe, it's a camo who works best in the Woods and in Grassland.

MARPAD is better suited for hotter areas like velds in Spain, southern Italy, Greece (and in a few oil exporting countries the USA/W. Bush like to "free").

Look at your gaming area, then choose your camo.

Personally, I've heard ACU isn't that bad at all. It mainly plays on lighting conditions. When it's in the sun it's more of an OD greenish. When in the shade it's much darker. Of course a photoshoot with bright flash lamps isn't exactly the best way to demonstrate this.

Well, I'll say one thing : Flecktarn is the proven result of 60 years of camouflage development. MARPAT on the other hand is a recent and as of yet unproven camouflage that seems to have as much hype surounding it ("latest & greatest") as factual effectiveness. Way back when D.S.I was happening collectors, enthusiasts and the like couldn't stop raving about the U.S. chocolate chip dessert cam either, yet operational experience yielded dissapointing results.

Of course that doesn't mean MARPAT isn't effective.........it's just too early to tell, and there's definitely no way of knowing how it compares to flecktarn. If I were you I'd just choose camo in function of the look you're trying to achieve.

Well, I'll say one thing : Flecktarn is the proven result of 60 years of camouflage development. MARPAT on the other hand is a recent and as of yet unproven camouflage that seems to have as much hype surounding it ("latest & greatest") as factual effectiveness. Way back when D.S.I was happening collectors, enthusiasts and the like couldn't stop raving about the U.S. chocolate chip dessert cam either, yet operational experience yielded dissapointing results.

Of course that doesn't mean MARPAT isn't effective.........it's just too early to tell, and there's definitely no way of knowing how it compares to flecktarn. If I were you I'd just choose camo in function of the look you're trying to achieve.

You do realise that marines have used it with positive results? Or do the opinions of real soldiers not matter to us armchair commandos?

Ooh, a bun fight over camo patterns :D

I had to chuckle (in an agreeing sense) with what Bolleh said though; if you're going to show off the effectiveness of ARPAT, standing in the middle of a field is not the way to do it :P

I say suck it and see onidemonxlr; get out there yourself and see what works for *you*. Standing in the shop and holding up two shirts isn't how you try out a camo :) Get out there, roll around in the brown stuff and get your mates to tell you how effective each pattern is. You've gotta have some inkling of a preference already though? Does either pattern make you raise you eyebrows? When I see flecktarn I think 'homeless in Cambridge'; when I see MARPAT I think 'The Yanks are coming to kill us' :D

Me? Not seen the digital patterns in action, so tick in the 'undecided' box for me.

Calm down Gentleman :D

Flecktarn is a nice camo. In the right environment.

Also US Digicam can work nice. In the right environment.

It depends on the environment which camo you should choose.

Flecktarn is made for middle/easter Europe, it's a camo who works best in the Woods and in Grassland.

MARPAD is better suited for hotter areas like velds in Spain, southern Italy, Greece (and in a few oil exporting countries the USA/W. Bush like to "free").

Look at your gaming area, then choose your camo.

this is the best answer...

and all soldiers would tell this...

I use and abuse MARPAT and Flecktarn, in France, both of them works perfectly, in UK when I play ARMAGEDON, marpat was a little bit more effective, due to the time I suppose...

but, you know, it's always about areas and time....

Marines also prefer a 40 year old AR15 over a state of the art weapon like the XM8 ...

Maybe because they get positive results with it?

It's mostly the people who don't maintain their rifles who get problems. You look after it, it looks after you.

So yeah. Now the opinions of the USMC are nullified because oh my god, they use digital camoflage and AR15 based rifles?

Maybe because they get positive results with it?

Maybe because they've never used something better?

It's mostly the people who don't maintain their rifles who get problems. You look after it, it looks after you.

Maintain a rifle 2 or 3 times a day just to keep it work is too much.

So yeah. Now the opinions of the USMC are nullified because oh my god, they use digital camoflage and AR15 based rifles?

No but it qualify their opinions. Just because someone is a military operator his opinion isn't better then the opinion of another person. Opinions are highly subjective, only facts are objective.

And that's the point. We should talk about facts, not about opinions.

You do realise that marines have used it with positive results? Or do the opinions of real soldiers not matter to us armchair commandos?

Errrrrr.......last time I checked, the marines haven't done anything but fight in an urban environment since MARPAT was introduced. Apart from that, its introduction is still relatively recent and as of yet not universal, and that's especially true for the woodland version we are debating here. I doubt there's many authoritive reports available as of yet regarding the cam's effectiveness.

Lastly, I don't quite understand where you get I wouldn't respect the opinions of real soldiers. My respect for flecktarn comes from hearing the advice of real soldiers. :waggle: All I said was I detect a lot of hype surounding MARPAT here on these boards, and that it was still a bit early to label it as the best thing since pancakes (same goes for Multicam). If and when the Marines reach the conclusion MARPAT is superior to all else including flecktarn, all the better for them as it'll greatly aid their survival on the battlefield.

Edit : spelling.

Maybe because they've never used something better?

So basically, "they should wear flecktarn like me"

...riiight.

And before you even try to say it... I do not hate flecktarn. Hell, I want to do a KSK loadout! It looks awesome, and is one of the few non-US camos I intend to use for a loadout. Others include DPMs for an SAS look, and auscam for an australian one.

So basically, "they should wear flecktarn like me"

...riiight.

No. That's not what I try to say. (But they should use another rifle :D)

My point is: Only because a soldier of Army X recommends the camo of Army X means not that camo X is a good/superior one.

BTW: I'm not a player, I just collect Airsofts as a kind of replacement for all the nice guns I can't own as Realsteels in Germany. So I don't wear any camo, and I'm totally neutral in this discussion. To be honest i don't like the look of flecktarn at all. But it's a highly effective camo so look is the last thing you should worry about.

HEy guys, this is quickly becoming a flame war.

and to roggenwolf's comment, im not THAT hardcore of a sniper. I still finger the full auto switch sometimes! :)

YEah, well, ive decided to get the fleckarn because i like the look and i have a lot of brown at my site, and its mainly pine trees and green brush and pinestraw. so, sorry MARPAT guys, i might invest in some MARPAT in the future, but for now, its fleckie for me. Thanks for all of your comments and time.

While reading this thread and other threads like it, I've noticed a fair amount of people have been a bit hostile towards gear used by the United States Armed Forces. I'm tempted to make some smart *albatross* comment such as "Why don't Germany and the United States have a war to see whose camouflage is better?" Maybe even "If it's good enough for the strongest military that God's good Earth has even seen, then it's good enough for me." I will, however, refrain from doing so.

Edit: Spelling error.

Archived