Lithium-Polymer (LiPo) Battery Primer

infected

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

i'm new to this stuff too, and i already hate it.

I got a pro peak sigma 2 eq charger, i got 2 batteries i want to store for an up and coming game. so when i go to use the storage option on the charger what amp & volt should i set in the storeage mode?

the setting vary, amp vary from 0.1 - 1 and well the volts 7.4 / 11.1 etc

the batteries are 7.4v, 1100mah, 15c.

About a 50-60% charge so i can come back in week and use it.

Unless you're not going to use the battery for 6-8 months, there is no reason to worry about having it at a "storage" charge level.

DEAD WRONG.

Lipos should not be left fully charged for more than a few days, a week at most- any longer and the anode & cathode will start to corrode due to the high voltage level within the cells, leading to poorer performance and higher operating temps, along with reduced capacity over a shorter length of time.

You don't need to enter any special settings when using storage mode, just set the charge current and cell count/ voltage exactly the same as normal; the charger will terminate the charge automatically once the voltage in each cell reaches the storage level ( ~3.85v usually )- no further input is required from the user provided you have connected the lipo to the charger correctly (main power leads + smaller balancer connector lead ).

Okay, 6-8 months might have been a stretch, but if you're using it more often than once a week per month, you're fine. If stored at full charge at room temp for a year, you'll lose up to 20% capacity. That's assuming a full charge, and then 12 months of no use. That would mean about 1.6% drop in capacity per month assuming a linear drop (it's not linear but close enough). BUT this user is looking to go back to using it within a week. Assuming (and yes I know it may not be true), that this user is going to be charging likely at least 1 time per month if he's playing every few weeks, then he's fine not doing a storage charge.

I will agree, my 6-8month statement was a bit generous, but we're looking at about 1.6% loss over the course of a month if left at a full charge. The loss is actually less when the battery's been used for a game (not drained), and left alone till the next game, than it would be if it were left at full charge.

I can see this affecting RC guys who demand much more out of the battery pack than airsoft does needing to be more agressive in battery maintanience, but for bellyisking ... he'll be fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Question, I just placed an order on a 7.4v 1200mah 20c lipo. Would this be enough to run a open game of about 7-8 hours? If not, how long can I expect because I am debating if i need to buy another pack.

It depends on how much you shoot and whether it's on FA or SA. I have the same batteries running in my M4s and I use two - one for the morning, one for the afternoon. I've only had one fail me, after a very heavy afternoon.

If you're sniping or playing MilSim, it should last but I'd recommend two.

• 1 month later...

I have a couple of quick questions if I may:

1. Does anyone here have experience with the Turnigy Quad (4x port) Smart Chargers?

EDIT: Link -> http://www.component-shop.co.uk/html/tq4.html

2. If the Lipo charger is requesting a value for 'A' (amps) and a value for 'V' (volts) - where should I find these values? Sorry to sound like a complete noob - its probably because I am (with regards to Lipos anyhow).

Volts would be what the battery is, Amps is down to the battery being charged and what rate it's safe to charge it at. Most cases you can charge a lipo at 2C (or 2 times it's mAh rating). Some like the Turnigy NANO packs can be charged at 5 to 10C.

If you are charging a 1000mAh battery at 2C you would set the charger to charge at 2 amps. If it was 1500mAh you'd charge at 3 amps.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a random question that I hope someone on here can answer... I just bought a "Hot Power 7.4v 1700mah lithium battery" from ehobbyasia.com and the pack is labeled "High Rate li-poly LiFePO4" so I have no idea whether to charge it as a LiFEPO4 or LiPO battery, and I really don't what it to blow up... is it going to do so if I don't charge it properly? My charger is a Tenergy Balance charger which requires me to choose whether a cell is LiFe or LiPo. http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/hot-power-7-4v-1700mah-15c-lithium-battery-for-ak-series.html

It looks like a LiIOn given the cylindrical shape and voltage. Another reason to go with reputable brand battery... you know what you're getting. Li-ion and lipoly aren't always the same, given that the Li-ion batteries (like you see in laptops), have a lower discharge rate, but are high density. The Lipos we use for airsoft have a higher discharge rate. I saw a similar battery in a customer's gun once, and it didn't last long. I don't recall the brand or battery type (other than a lithium type), but it didn't last him more than a couple months.

Archived