Gear weight problems?

Cosmitz

Let me start listing what i have and their exact weights.

HK416 = 5.8kg (DBAL+battery on the left side)

MP5K sidearm = 1.7kg (which i wear like so)

CIRAS Platecarrier Vest (+3 M4 metal lowcap mags,+2 Mp5 mags) = ~3.5 kg (the CIRAS Platecarrier is a must due to the uniform "standard" of my squad, also, no camelbak if you're thinking that)

11.5kg about. Add some 1-1.5kg with the clothes and the knee pads/elbow pads. So yeah about 13kg.

LE: The weapon, as said, is running hot at 135m/s, and i have a 15 meters minimum engagement distance. Thus, the MP5K.

My friend, you are so asking for a butchering. :D

I will endeavor to keep this polite & helpful:

I just weighed a G36c with a lipo battery & reflex sight at less than 2.5 kg. I'll bet my teeth, that it has at least the same range, rof & accuracy as your 416. Probably better, but you get the point. (This is not a pi55ing contest. The fact is, you will be able to make a lighter gun perform as well as your 416.)

So there's 2.3kg.

As the G36 is a patriot, it will also do as a replacement for that mp5 you are carting-round-for-no-particular-reason.

Dump the MP5 & don't bother to replace it with anything. No one really uses pistols as back up do they?? Especially if they have a problem carrying heavy stuff!

So, there's another 1,7kg.

4kg so far.

Now take away the weight of the mp5 mags, & possibly the fact that placky 36 mags are lighter than metal M16-a-likes.

Knee pads? Elbow pads? Ciras (wot-u-must wear to have mates!!)?? Keep 'em if you must, but I bet, now you have lost the Mp5 on your belt & that monstrosity on your shoulder, you'll be fine.

Remember that the further away from your body something is, the heavier it will feel. So a little short gun will be less stressful than a long gun with a silencer (at the furthest part away from you!) of exactly the same weight!!

So, there's a few clues,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,get on with it.

Greg.

Habakure: I have been thinking of switching to a pistol, sure, and if i still have problems, i think i'll do just that.

mr_eagle: I have to keep the silencer to cover up the extra barrel lenght, and i cannot use midcaps due to the DMR restrictions. Changing to plastic low-caps, ok i can do that. Sure, i chould techniclly sell the HK, ditch the vest and just play with the Mp5K or with a pistol as a lone-wolf.. but..erm.. yeah. Half the fun of the game is playing my DMR role with my squad. I know what you're saying, and i have removed evreything in plus already.

Guess the universal solution whould be to "grow some bawls". -.-

LE:greg> "mp5 you are carting-round-for-no-particular-reason." DMR restricts MED to 15 meters, and i find myself forced to use it anytime i enter a building.

No i don't have to wear elbowpads and kneepads, but we do not have "tidy" airsoft sites in Romania, so we generally play in broken-down building complexes with a lot of grass and unhealthy stuff on the ground. Not something you'd want sticking in you. As for the CIRAS, yes, my squad recommends using a CIRAS, especially during nation-wide events, to identify us as a team, complete with full multicam and patches.

LE2: Let me resay soemthing, since it's getting a bit offtopic. It's not that i CANNOT play or deal with that weight. I CAN.. the problem is the aftermath leaves me quite sore for a few days. :)

LE3: Yey. LE discution. I was asking on ways to deal with it.. specific training programs and such, preferably without going to the gym. A poster earlier went on and said a few systems, i've googled around, written them down and i will start a schedule starting tommorow.

LE:greg> "mp5 you are carting-round-for-no-particular-reason." DMR restricts MED to 15 meters, and i find myself forced to use it anytime i enter a building.

No i don't have to wear elbowpads and kneepads, but we do not have "tidy" airsoft sites in Romania, so we generally play in broken-down building complexes with a lot of grass and unhealthy stuff on the ground. Not something you'd want sticking in you. As for the CIRAS, yes, my squad recommends using a CIRAS, especially during nation-wide events, to identify us as a team, complete with full multicam and patches.

LE2: Let me resay soemthing, since it's getting a bit offtopic. It's not that i CANNOT play or deal with that weight. I CAN.. the problem is the aftermath leaves me quite sore for a few days. :)

LE3: Yey. LE discution. I was asking on ways to deal with it.. specific training programs and such, preferably without going to the gym. A poster earlier went on and said a few systems, i've googled around, written them down and i will start a schedule starting tommorow.

Ok, now I'm starting to get the picture.

I don't like carrying too much, for the same reasons. I work hard during the week & play for fun, so don't want to limp in to work!!

This is a little out of the box, but how I have resolved a similar dmr role at one of my regular sites with similar rules:

P90. Yes, I know it sounds cookey, but even with a 363mm barrel run through a lightweight socom silencer & 1.5-5x20 sight it weighs a hefty,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,wait for it,,,,,,,,,,,,,2.6kg & that's with battery & 2 mags. It gives 425 fps & 12" groups at 60m. Good enough for ya dmr role?

The locaps are light.

Go with an mp7 over the 5, or the Glock aep. The 7 is a better bet if you need a 'proper' back-up for cqb. It will fit on a thigh rig.

If you don't want to part with the 416 remove the silencer & chop the inner back, long barrels don't always mean accuracy. Dump the bi pod. You will be surprised how much difference this will make. As said, leverage makes these parts feel heavier than they are. Now go for a smaller, lighter scope. This will help.

Greg.

Well, I'm the support gunner on my team, so I always knew my gear was slightly on the heavy side. I just weighed myself with and without gear now.

Without gear, in normal clothes: 77.6kg

With additional flak jacket: 80.4kg

With an IdZ vest, carrying two radios, two 20oz CO2 bottles (one empty, one half-full), a half-full camelbak and the CO2 rig itself: 90.4kg

With an additional kevlar helmet: 91.7kg

And an MG3, empty magazine: 101.9kg

So that's 24.3kg of gear. That might sound heavy, but it's not so bad, IMHO.

Note that the number is slightly misleading too, and actual field uniform would weigh more than my everyday clothes, boots would add some weight, as would a full camelbak. Not to mention a total of 6000+ rounds of .25 or .3g BB's.

My USP is also out of action, so it wasn't included here.

In larger games I would also wear a backpack with some extra clothes, a spare pair of boots, some food, more water, an extra bottle or two of CO2 (if I don't have an assistant gunner to carry them), and a basic field repair kit for my team mate's AEG's and for cleaning my own gun. And AA+AAA batteries for optics and comms gear.

Sure, my shoulders, lower back and neck feels kinda...weird after the game, but that's how I know I've been having fun.

I could cut down on some weight, but I don't know what that should be. Probably my helmet would go first to conform with team standard (the other guys would rather wear tacticool OPERATOR caps) and I could probably push some of the ammo and CO2 over to my assistant, if I have one. Flack west must stay though, the IdZ isn't terribly comfortable to wear without one, and it spreads the weight out to my entire torso instead of having everything resting on my shoulders, so the extra 2.8kg it adds is well worth it. Looks cool too.

I'm trying really hard not to say "Suck it up, princess" and be on my way.

If you can get through the day of playing without trouble I don't see what the problem is. Sure, you might be sore for a few days afterward, but that's all part of exercise. No matter what sport you do, if you have a full day of strenuous exercise, I can guarantee you will have some aches and pains in the days following. The more regularly you go out and play, the quicker your recovery time will be.

If for some reason the pain is absolutely excruciating (which I can't imagine it would be) then take a serious look at your loadout. I'm positive you will be able exchange most of your gear for something lighter. The only downside to this is the fact that you will need to purchase new gear, but that's the sacrifice you need to make if you're not willing to spend some time getting in shape (which, honestly, is probably what you should be working on in the first place.)

That's just my $0.02. Either you can help yourself or you can have money help you :P

Let me start listing what i have and their exact weights.

HK416 = 5.8kg (DBAL+battery on the left side)

MP5K sidearm = 1.7kg (which i wear like so)

CIRAS Platecarrier Vest (+3 M4 metal lowcap mags,+2 Mp5 mags) = ~3.5 kg (the CIRAS Platecarrier is a must due to the uniform "standard" of my squad, also, no camelbak if you're thinking that)

11.5kg about. Add some 1-1.5kg with the clothes and the knee pads/elbow pads. So yeah about 13kg.

LE: The weapon, as said, is running hot at 135m/s, and i have a 15 meters minimum engagement distance. Thus, the MP5K.

Here's your first problem:

ewel3p0z9q10ab3u6tq.jpg

There's way too much ###### on that rifle, unless you roll as a lightweight designated marksman. Replace the stock with a standard tele-stock (or any telestock, really) or even the standard A1 or A2 buttstock, as the MagPul PRS is basically dead weight. The pistol grip is neither here nor there, but it's probably not helping. There are other pistol grips out there that fill the hand without weighting down your kit bag. Drop the bipod, unless you do a lot of bush whacking in the open or lots of urban fire support, it's not needed. The silencer is neither here nor there. In my experience they don't weigh that much, so that's a mute area. If your DBAL is real and not the battery carrier, drop that, too. Finally, if you still can't handle the weight, dump the scope in favor of irons.

Unless you're a sniper, I think that a sidearm should be just that: A sidearm. An MP5K is a large enough piece of kit that it can serve as a primary weapon in its own right. Dump it in favor of an AEP, GBB, or, if you really want something that's larger, an MP7A1, Skorpion, &c.

For the vest, what are your teams uniform requirements? Have your given into temptation and overloaded your vest or have you kept it to what you need (mag pouches, speed loader, pyro, hydro, first aid kit)? If you wear utilities, you can stuff extra BBs and food into spare pockets, if you need them. Even the first aid kit, if you really want to have one, should be small enough to fit into the back pocket on an American BDU (although the cargo pockets would be a better choice).

Well, I'm the support gunner on my team, so I always knew my gear was slightly on the heavy side. I just weighed myself with and without gear now.

Without gear, in normal clothes: 77.6kg

With additional flak jacket: 80.4kg

With an IdZ vest, carrying two radios, two 20oz CO2 bottles (one empty, one half-full), a half-full camelbak and the CO2 rig itself: 90.4kg

With an additional kevlar helmet: 91.7kg

And an MG3, empty magazine: 101.9kg

So that's 24.3kg of gear. That might sound heavy, but it's not so bad, IMHO.

Note that the number is slightly misleading too, and actual field uniform would weigh more than my everyday clothes, boots would add some weight, as would a full camelbak. Not to mention a total of 6000+ rounds of .25 or .3g BB's.

My USP is also out of action, so it wasn't included here.

In larger games I would also wear a backpack with some extra clothes, a spare pair of boots, some food, more water, an extra bottle or two of CO2 (if I don't have an assistant gunner to carry them), and a basic field repair kit for my team mate's AEG's and for cleaning my own gun. And AA+AAA batteries for optics and comms gear.

Sure, my shoulders, lower back and neck feels kinda...weird after the game, but that's how I know I've been having fun.

I could cut down on some weight, but I don't know what that should be. Probably my helmet would go first to conform with team standard (the other guys would rather wear tacticool OPERATOR caps) and I could probably push some of the ammo and CO2 over to my assistant, if I have one. Flack west must stay though, the IdZ isn't terribly comfortable to wear without one, and it spreads the weight out to my entire torso instead of having everything resting on my shoulders, so the extra 2.8kg it adds is well worth it. Looks cool too.

First off, not only should you have an AG, your entire section should be carrying additional ammo for you. In real life (or at least it used to be thus), the gunner would carry the gun and three belts of ammunition, the AG would carry extra barrels and more belts of ammunition, and every individual, whether enlisted or commissioned, would carry an additional belt of ammunition for the gunner. Of course, this being airsoft, your AG (and you should have one) should carry half of your normal load of CO2 and BBs. The remainder of your section should also help out by toting additional CO2 and BBs. The field repair kit and batteries should be carried by a rifleman in the section, not by the section's gunner!

Cosmitz,

I would agree with the some of the suggestions that has been mentioned, start with lightening that 416, loose the bipod, look for a gripod and also stock needs to go, find a lighter stock (full stock if need be). since you are a DM in your team your not gonna be in the front leading most of the time, drop the MP5K pick up a pistol (springer if its a SHTF use), when that 1st BB flys towards your team your goal is to eliminate where it came from, if your the last one standing, just do a battlefield weapon pickup from your down teammate and take the fight to the enemy.

I still believe most of your "weight" discrepancy is coming from your vest, If you are stuck with having to use CIRAS due to team regs, trim and slim the pouches you have mounted, i would suggest a battle belt and dont use drop legs (holsters or pouches), you only need 1 knee pad (on the knee you use more)

Correct me if im wrong but everyone that plays gets "sore" in some degree or the other, its how you fix your body afterwards and prepare for the next one.

Good luck.

The main problem seems to be that you're aching after playing.

During and after play drink a sports drink like powerade, gatorade, lucosade etc to top up your electrolites and keep you hydrated. Have a good meal at lunch with plenty of carbs and protein and the same again when you get home. That should give your body everything it needs to help re-build the muscles after a day of hard excersize.

I'm 175cm and 75kg (I was a little less when I started playing) and I ached alot after my first few games with full kit but now I just shrug it off but I've developed strong leg and back muscles from my job so carrying the extra weight isnt as much of a problem now.

If you want to cut down on your kit I'd just swap your MP5K to a TM GBB pistol and stick it in a dropleg holster (Safariland or Sepa clone for the tacticool look)

If you want to strip it even more heres my basic belt kit that I use for a days play

pict0202.jpg

(sorry for the bad pic, my camera sucks)

twin pistol mag pouch

2x M4 "shingle" mag pouch or double mag pouch (holds 4 mags) if I need more ammo

Dump pouch (holds bag of ammo and speed loader)

Canteen pouch (Holds ammo and speed loader if I'm wearing my vest)

Safariland holser

With 2 hicaps and one in the gun that will do me for most open days. If I play milsim or midcap only games I add my vest which has a tripple mag pouch holding 6 mags a radio pouch and a camelbak.

My old vest was an FSBE which held 8 mags (usually hicaps) 3 grenade shells, 2 pistol mags, camelbak and a foldable dump pouch along with my belt kit that was pretty much the same as the one above only with a dropleg mag pouch on the left with another 4 mags (metal mids)

I only ever once went thru all 13 mags I carried on a manic attack/defend game (attacking team with unlimited regen) so I soon decided I was just carrying dead weight and swapped to the lighter rig.

Another point about that 416, if you learn how to use it in cqb effectively you won't need that mp5k at all. And don't say it's too long, if the USMC can use a SAM-R (full length M16a4's) in cqb in real life, you can learn to use that in 416 in cqb.

Also your rifle looks nice but weighs far too much for what you need, for example that silencer, unless it's concealing an extended inner barrel has moved the center of gravity of the gun forward that = more strain on your wrists = more PAIN the next day. Basically strip the gun down to basics, either a full stock or the original stock (416 or 417?) will make it lighter AND more useful in cqb as it can be retracted to shorten the gun. Ditch the bipod, pointless accessory anyway, as there are plenty of natural rifle supports out there (branches rocks etc), the precision grip is probably alright. the scope is nice and restrained but you could probably do the same job with an ACOG/doctor sight combo (the doctor sight = very useful in CQB)

As a side note about the stock, a rear wired full stock/crane stock will move the center of gravity back and make the gun easier to hold/aim for long periods. DBAL battery boxes, while nice, put more weight at the front of the gun and that = you guessed it, MORE strain on your wrists = more PAIN the next day.

But if you MUST carry a sidearm, get a PISTOL. Glock 18c either gas or AEP will provide the firepower you feel you need in a cqb situation.

Just so everyone knows, the OP said that the silencer is used to conceal a longer inner barrel, so removing it is not a simple fix. Also, he can't simply learn to use the HK416 better in CQB, because the gun has a minimum engagement distance due to its high FPS, as he mentioned.

I'm going to suggest something that at first sounds drastic, but really will end up costing not much more than the makeovers to your gun that others are suggesting.

Get a mostly plastic Chinese clone, slap a good tightbore barrel and hop-up bucking in, transplant your scope, and use that until you're strong enough to use your original gun without any soreness. It kinda gives you an incentive to work out so you can use your (really, really nice) original heavy gun. In my opinion, that HK 416 you have looks way too good to change.

For a lightweight, mostly plastic ACM long rifle, I suggest a JG SIG 550, M16, AUG, or maybe a G3 SG1. All those guns weigh about 3kg, which is a cool 2.8 kgs off your arms.

If you'd prefer a full-metal gun, the Tercel (formerly BE) Type 89 weighs about 3.4 kg, has a three-round burst setting, comes out of the box shooting close to your upgraded weapon at 128 m/s, and can use the mags you already have! Can't beat that.

http://www.rsov.com/index.php?target=produ...product_id=3116

Marui makes a scope mount for it, available at most HK stores.

Another point about that 416, if you learn how to use it in cqb effectively you won't need that mp5k at all. And don't say it's too long, if the USMC can use a SAM-R (full length M16a4's) in cqb in real life, you can learn to use that in 416 in cqb.

As Bare nuckle pointed out, (read the op's input) he has a med, so can't use the 416 for cqb.

Greg.

Firstly, sounds obvious but are you still carrying the plates in the plate carrier? If so change them for fakes.

Apart from that if you can't ditch any kit then, as has been mentioned, look at your routine at the end of the day. A proper warm down and a healthy meal in the evening to replace lost electrolytes etc should help, instead of just quickly packing up and heading to the pub (not that thats what I do honest ;) )

Iether loose weight on your kit, work out or get back problems in the future... Simple as that, it's not just something "my body aces after a game", you are ruining it if you carry more then you body can handle!

Archived