I wish I could drive....

RacingManiac

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Erm... :mellow:

Some fairly basic skills adequately displayed.

Nothing special.

I'm willing to bet that, given a week to practice on an abandoned airfield, most drivers could manage something similar.

Sorry, but thats VERY not true LOL I'm an drift/race instructor myself and would say that less than 1% of people can end up being able to display that kind of car control. He's good, make no mistake, I'd just prefer to see it in a RWD :)

Meh.

FWD, handbrake on the front too.

Unmodified family hatchback on ice.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bjrVGUuYWCM

And in an estate

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2TSJgQ9Ls1o

My favourite (again an unmodified family car) wiping the floor with a 'rarri

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=09-C33SrJi8

LOL, not with that precision they couldn't, WRC drivers get paid a fortune for driving with that kind of precision, if anyone could do it then they wouldn't get paid what they do.

I'm not going to argue the point with you, and I'm not going to justify my instructing techniques. I teach people basic drifting, top level drifting takes years of practice like any motorsport, and if you think what you see chavs in saxos doing is even close to that, you obviously have never been in the passenger seat when someone has driven like that. LOL If you still disagree, you are more than welcome to come for a ride in one of my drift cars, then, if you still feel the same, fair enough.

P.S. I'm not just an instructor ;)

Meh.

FWD, handbrake on the front too.

Unmodified family hatchback on ice.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bjrVGUuYWCM

And in an estate

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2TSJgQ9Ls1o

My favourite (again an unmodified family car) wiping the floor with a 'rarri

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=09-C33SrJi8

Sorry, but THAT was fail LMAO None of that took skill.

First one is just flooring it in reverse, anyone could do it, second one is the same, reverse, footbrake, turn wheel, easy, third one is lift off overshttp://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=156381&st=0&gopid=1940250entry1940250teer, also easy, just lift off, slide, floor it.

How about this:

http://vimeo.com/1366620

and the second half of this:

http://vimeo.com/1164938

LOL, not with that precision they couldn't, WRC drivers get paid a fortune for driving with that kind of precision, if anyone could do it then they wouldn't get paid what they do.

Heh, I was going to mention that too.

Any rally driver watching that video would cringe at the time wasted sliding that car for no good reason.

I'm not sure what the objective of that "sport" is but if it's based on time then sliding a car without reason is not a smart thing to do.

P.S. I'm not just an instructor ;)

I should probably post one of those "you win at the internet" gif's but, frankly, I can't be bothered.

As I say, given a bit of practice I think most people could drive like that.

Who knows? It might even be possible to do donuts without demolishing the chipboard barriers too. ;)

Erm... :mellow:

Some fairly basic skills adequately displayed.

Nothing special.

I'm willing to bet that, given a week to practice on an abandoned airfield, most drivers could manage something similar.

highly doubt that. Given the speed and the power involved even with AWD that car would not have been easy to drive. And to do stuff shown on demend would be difficult....

As I say, given a bit of practice I think most people could drive like that.

Who knows? It might even be possible to do donuts without demolishing the chipboard barriers too. ;)

LMAO Do you have any clue as to how fast he's going when he misplaces the car by about 12 inches?

And he based it on a timed sport, but as it says at the start, he's decided to take it to the next level, so no, it's not timed.

Lets see, normal drivers, normal family car, handbrake on the front, yet able to do moves you claim only 1% of the population can do.

Uh-huh. :rolleyes:

J-turns ARE easy, I said 1% of the population could drive a 500bhp impreza like he drives it, the rest WOULD crash. ANYONE can do a j-turn, or reverse donut, like i said, turn wheel, put in reverse, floor it, not hard.

And it doesn't matter that the handbrake is on the front, as it's not used in that maneuver, ANY fwd family hatch could do it, hell my 60bhp clio runaround will do it in the dry, let alone lame *albatross* snow haha

Lets see, normal drivers, normal family car, handbrake on the front, yet able to do moves you claim only 1% of the population can do.

Uh-huh. :rolleyes:

Spinning around from a stand still in an empty lot at 5mph is hardly comparable to controlling a car going at 100. The forces involved is several orders of magnitude different...if you think thats comparable then something is wrong with you.

The last vid with the Xsara passing a Ferrari is a good example of someone who might know car control in a normal car vs someone who can buy an expensive car but doesn't necessarily drive at the car's level. You see that at any kind of track days. The video I posted was someone who knows how to drive and have the equipment to do it. And when that happens you can usually see some pretty spectacular stuff....

Spinning around from a stand still in an empty lot at 5mph is hardly comparable to controlling a car going at 100. The forces involved is several orders of magnitude different...if you think thats comparable then something is wrong with you.

The last vid with the Xsara passing a Ferrari is a good example of someone who might know car control in a normal car vs someone who can buy an expensive car but doesn't necessarily drive at the car's level. You see that at any kind of track days. The video I posted was someone who knows how to drive and have the equipment to do it. And when that happens you can usually see some pretty spectacular stuff....

Ignore him mate, I think it's fairly safe to say he doesn't know his AWD from his FWD and driving skill from driving *suitcase* LOL

LMAO Do you have any clue as to how fast he's going when he misplaces the car by about 12 inches?

And he based it on a timed sport, but as it says at the start, he's decided to take it to the next level, so no, it's not timed.

So, ummm, he's basically just roaring around in a very powerful car, in a wide open space and (as evidenced by all the rubber on the floor) doing the same stuff over and over again with no real objective?

Sorry. not impressed.

If they locked him in a shed while somebody else built the course and then we got to see him roar around it without hitting anything, against the clock, I'd be more impressed.

As it is, for all we know he's got all his braking and steering markers memorised so well that he could drive that course with his eyes shut.

He's displaying competence in throttle control and he's obviously comfortable handling that car but, as I say, I think anybody with some interest could achieve something similar after a bit of practice.

As the video title said, Gymkhana is basically as shown, you have specific objective at specific point. You do whats needed at the spot that's needed, thats no different than any other form of motorsport bar actual rallying, and even that you get notes and navigator. As with other type of motorsport, its about being able to perform on the spot. Be it as hot lapping around a circuit or doing donut between 2 water barrier. If that's easy, then anyone can do that, as well as anyone can go out and drive F1 cars and win championship. Because really, anyone with "some interest" can progress through the ladder.....

As the video title said, Gymkhana is basically as shown, you have specific objective at specific point. You do whats needed at the spot that's needed, thats no different than any other form of motorsport bar actual rallying, and even that you get notes and navigator. As with other type of motorsport, its about being able to perform on the spot. Be it as hot lapping around a circuit or doing donut between 2 water barrier. If that's easy, then anyone can do that, as well as anyone can go out and drive F1 cars and win championship. Because really, anyone with "some interest" can progress through the ladder.....

Isn't it a bit difficult to quantify success if there's no way to measure success?

By contrast, a traditional gymkhana (with horses) is done exactly as I describe.

The course has required elements and is constructed prior to the event so that all the competitors have an equal chance.

They then take it in turn to complete the course up against the clock.

The person who does it best wins.

Beyond that, you've exaggerated what I said.

I didn't say "anybody could become the best in the world" which is what you suggest.

What I said was that, with a fair bit of practice, most people (petrolheads, at least) could produce a video filled with similar activities.

hes obviously got skill, but it just looks like a Top Gear out take, all the needless sideways action.

WRC is much more impressive. plenty of trees and mountains to kill yourself on round every corner if you're not good enough. for WRC, being 12 inches out of place at 100mph IS enough to kill you.

And what does this video and the subsequent argument prove?

Drifting: Turning with style. That's it. No need to get upset over it, because that's all you're doing.

If you feel that you need to defend this video, shut up and go waste your tires. If you feel that you need to attack it, shut up and watch Initial D.

someone obviously doesn't know their cars.

hes obviously got skill, but it just looks like a Top Gear out take, all the needless sideways action.

WRC is much more impressive. plenty of trees and mountains to kill yourself on round every corner if you're not good enough. for WRC, being 12 inches out of place at 100mph IS enough to kill you.

Exactly what I was thinking. The dashboard cam footage from WRC always amazes me. But then that’s just me. I don’t get the whole drifting craze. Just seems a waste of time and rubber.

On a side note I would give up the ability drive like that for the ability to ride like this anytime!

someone obviously doesn't know their cars.

How exactly did you get to that frankly ridiculous conclusion? haha

Exactly what I was thinking. The dashboard cam footage from WRC always amazes me. But then that’s just me. I don’t get the whole drifting craze. Just seems a waste of time and rubber.

On a side note I would give up the ability drive like that for the ability to ride like this anytime!

Thats fine, but that doesn't take away the fact that proper pro level drifting is MASSIVELY difficult. I've had two BTCC drivers come out with me and both said, in their words 'that car control is amazing' and said they wished they could do it, so it takes skill.

This is hilarious... I love the way people are telling someone that is a professional racing driver what's what.

TwinTurboCH IIRC has posted about his racing exploits here or on ASCUK before.

It's gratifying to see a bit of different flavour of e-penis waving though. ;)

Archived