WW2 Kit Discussion

PrivateCobb

Has anyone here had a crack at converting the KA 110rnds midcaps down to short 20rnds style mags recently? Just wondering about the exact methods that you may have used for this conversion?

I know there was some guy back in around 2010 that had a partial guide to the conversion and did to a few of his magazines - bit of an old source now though.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Indeed sir. A lovely 500 shot scatter gun....that you can always stick a milsim labs mortar shell behind for added lulz.

As for the photo's it is the new editing stuff on photobucket it is pretty nifty when you play around with it.

DSC01188.jpg this is another one that came out half decent. Talking on the field phone.

Yeah I really like that style :)

Theres a fair few folk at my usual site who put alot of effort in and play with all historically accurate outfits and loadouts but unfortunately the guy who works there who'se responsible for photographing the action doesn't really do anything special with them - the end result is just too much like standard stock airsoft photos.

Heres a random question - is there a hardened lens or a transparent cover you can get in order to protect it from random bbs going your way? Id really like to have a go with all that but im scared i'll just end up wrecking my camera :)

If you can get the photo's upload them to photobucket, if you add some chemical burns, ink stains, mess around with the focus, blur and color you can make any picture look amazing!

I personally rock a sony Nex-7 with a tiffen Filter/lens cover. So you get a protective cover plus depending on what type of filter you get it will give your shots a slightly different look. However I have had my lens completely exposed get hit by a very far shot on one occasion and nothing happened to it, I would not expect that at a closer than 50foot range.

Cheers i'll have to try this Photobucket thing out myself sometime :)

I don't pretend to know much about cameras but a quick google of your model and it looks very swanky indeed! Im currently using a Cannon EOS 500D but im totally ignorant of its aftermarket parts. Plus i'm so scared of breaking it! I've only been using it sparingly but its my baby and I love it too much to see fat teenagers take pot shots at it ha! :P

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It may be useful to some of you guys here to be given heads up of the following:

I haven't got the foggiest as to quite why, but Action Hobbies are selling King Arms Thompsons for £130 atm.

I haven't seen Thompsons that cheap brand new in the UK ever before. I'm actually a bit annoyed and jealous, I paid just over £200 for mine. Any WW2 enthusiasts who are thinking about creating a cheap loadout this could be just what you need. The King Arms Thompsons aren't bad at all either, I've had mine for a year and a half now and I can honestly say its the best airsoft weapon of the 100 or so replicas that I've owned over the years.

• 4 weeks later...

Photos from a small fixed OpFor event focusing on immersion and squad level tactics and movements that we ran this past Sunday. Normal period correct restrictions like facial hair and footwear were lifted in order to get the numbers we needed and it actually worked out real well. The German Kampfgruppe was there only to harass and hold up the Airborne troops as they patrolled their way through the AO on a fixed route we were privy to. We'd hammer them with MG42 fire, inflict a few casualties, and then pull back to another predetermined machine gun positions when their mortar fire became more and more accurate. More photos here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.402443949827822.92121.151352844936935&type=1

134072_402444076494476_1030948082_o.jpg

47395_402445163161034_1415403269_n.jpg

665645_402445616494322_1742629064_o.jpg

615902_402445849827632_1750464449_o.jpg

522455_402446566494227_1666721203_n.jpg

Like the thinking behind you event DesertFox. Was for just such reasons some of us here in the UK thought airsofting would have been more popular with WWII re-enactors. It gives you the chance to see how well your squad tactics would actually work when you've got fire coming in. Blanks are all very well and good but as is ofetn the case people are sometimes unwilling to take a hit. At least with airsoft you can see when a strike takes place and lets you see how well tactics actually worked. Great stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

My farbiest Brit impressions, I think I managed to get all the wrongs together! XD

vint01.jpg

vint02.jpg

SAS PARA

-Modern maroon beret with SAS metal badge (wrong, in WW2 they wore patches)

-Cliché pipe and pencil mustache

-Modern (issued in 1994) scrim scarf

-Belgian 'congo' para smock, in brushtroke pattern

-Dutch postwar P37 copy trousers

-Australian short puttees

-1970's Spanish boots

-DIY silenced sten + accessories

-Captured Luger ;-)

vint03.jpg

vint04.jpg

COMMANDO (joint OSS or whatever)

-Commonwealth (India?) comforter

-Modern 'commando' jumper (poly-pully)

-Left handed M7 holster for 1911 (late war)

-US belt and pistol mag pouch

-RAF mag pouch

-Italian 'bergen' (60's)

-AK47 sling on Tommy

(trousers, etc same as above)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I have some british questions.

First about Lovat scouts. Could you recommend me some reading about the regiment's history? Doesn't have to be specifically about WW2, earlier histories are ok too. Also, about the regimental balmoral. Are the houseoftartans.co.uk's balmorals diced? The model on the regimental bonnet-section is plain. Do they add the proper dicing when ordering the Lovat scouts-option or have their systems changed. Also, does the dicing has to be certain style? The hat probably also needs a badge. Did the regimental badge on the hat stay the same for the existence of the regiment and if there are different variations of it, what is the one that is correct for WW2?

Also, some more questions about recommended reading:

I have vague memories of reading some book about No. 30 Commando. I think the best part was that it wasn't "Ian Fleming this, Ian Fleming that" it was more about the training and organization of the regiment. Naturally my memories are really hazy, just some memories on the book being about going to "Commando country" to train. So basically, could you recommend me a book about that unit in particular, or a book about the training, and day-to-day lives of the bit more special regiments and "private" armies.

So, LRDG, Popski's private army, SAS, SBS. I'm interested in the individuals that founded them, and how they were organized and managed. Wasn't the basic story usually that one charismatic officer comes up with a plan, recruits his friends as officers...and sometimes rest is history. I mean, they have probably written a lot of books about SAS in the WW2 but for example, which ones are worth reading?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

Guys, I've been airsofting for some 7 1/2 years now, and never looked towards reenactement seriously. The thing is that for the past 3 or 4 years there have been some very good WWII games here in Portugal, and the reenacter community has been growing steadily. And I'm starting to get fond of the idea of entering that community.
Decided to go with a British Army Commando. Probably will go for either No.1 Commando, No.2, No.10 (Inter-Allied), No.14 (Artic) or No.62 (SSRF). 30 Commando AU is also a possibility. Haven't decided yet, but will mostly be interested in a generic Commando look, based on raiding activities (lightness of gear) while keeping some acceptable degree of realism.
Anyways, a have a few questions for you, experts, keeping in mind the generic look:

1 - Denison Smock is accepatable?
2 - Battle Jerkin, or Leather Jerkin, or both?
3 - I prefer a Sten over a Tommy, acceptable?
4 - Commando Jumper, acceptable?
5 - Don't like helmets. Conforter cap and green beret?
6 - Ammo boots, DMS boots or Rubber soled gym shoes (converse style)?
7 - Gaitors or puttees?

8 - Round or toombstone Combined Operations badge?

9 - What kind of glooves would be correct?

10 - Colt M1911 over Webley?

That's about it for now :P
Thank you in advance!

Cheers

Hi Denison is fine would not bother with jerkin . Sten or thompson would be fine . Dms boots over ammo they are just to noisey. Gaters. And black leather gloves or khaki wool ones cap comforter or tin pot and 1911 is fine but really only for officers. There is always the uk ww2airsoft forum if you want more help

UKSF used puttees in WW2. They're much better than gaiters in my experience: warmer, keep the water out and don't flap around. Give them a try!

Also Commandos on ops did not wear berets. If they were used as shock troops (e.g. D-Day) then they wore tin hats like the infantry. If you're going for the Ops look, the cap-comforter scarf is the way to go. I'm sure that Commandos did wear the Green Special Service berets but don't think that these were as common as people seem to think. My relative was still wearing his Worcesters beret and badge in '45 in the pics I have and his mates seem to have held onto their regt headgear as well.

So cap, any beret or even a scrim scarf will do if you don't like tin hats.

So... 

1 - Denison Smock is accepatable? Commandos didn't use these. SAS and Paras did if you're going for the NW Europe look.
2 - Battle Jerkin, or Leather Jerkin, or both? Both is fine but don't wear the jerkin with the Denison.
3 - I prefer a Sten over a Tommy, acceptable? The commandos fought tooth and nail to hold onto their Tommys. They hated the Sten.
4 - Commando Jumper, acceptable? Sweet lord man, you'll die of heatstroke with a BD, jerkin, Denison and a jumper. Fine under a jerkin instead of a BD top or Denison.
5 - Don't like helmets. Conforter cap and green beret? Cap all the way.
6 - Ammo boots, DMS boots or Rubber soled gym shoes (converse style)? Ammo or DMS unless I missed where the Harlem Globetrotters joined up.
7 - Gaitors or puttees? Either is fine.

8 - Round or toombstone Combined Operations badge? Only 62 Commando use(d) the round one.

9 - What kind of glooves would be correct? None. British commandos where real men. Except when it got really cold and then used wooly one, leather dispatch riders gauntlets and I'm sure some US Airborne ones crept in given how much kit got swapped or 'borrowed' (m1 carbines a special favourite).

10 - Colt M1911 over Webley? If your doing Officer / Bren Gunner then either is fine although you won't find an Airsoft Webley. Otherwise no unless you're doing SAS who were a law unto themselves where sidearms were concerned.

Thanks guys!
Appreciate the help!

@harborne blue, about the gym shoes. I read somewhere (can´t recall where) that some early units used these in the coastal raids early as '41, due to being quieter than the boots... Can it be viable?

As for the upper garments, smock/jumper/BD/jerkin, it was never my ideia to use it all at once! :D I do 24hours + milsim/LRRP events for some time now, and I know how it works when it comes to heat. Although northern Portugal can be pretty cold in winter.

Let's say I'd go for an officer look (since I'm starting from scratch, and the 1911 is the only thing I have of my current gear that can be used). Any particularities, aside the 1911?

Archived