real infared "lazer" and PEQ

mikogel

Also, laser is spelt with an s.

Technicaly, it should be written as L.A.S.E.R. - it stands for Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation.

Just something that always bugs me ;)

Depends which type of PEQ you mean, in any case. Some have lasers in them, some don't. There's a LOT of choice in PEQ's, really depends on which type you want, and if you're really set on it having a laser, if you want it to hold a battery, and so on....

Only reasons are to blind someone without them realising, or for use with night vision.

Not entirely sure on this, but I do beleive that there's some legal issues with IR lasers in the UK - mainly due to the fact you can easily blind someone with them without either the blinder or blinded noticing untill the damage has been done.

Not entirely sure on this, but I do beleive that there's some legal issues with IR lasers in the UK - mainly due to the fact you can easily blind someone with them without either the blinder or blinded noticing untill the damage has been done.

And this is exactly why IR lasers shouldn't be used in airsoft.

My two cents.

-Vic

It isn't instantaneous damage. Played tons at night and aiming low applies to day or night skirmishing anyway with an AEG, so adding a laser doesn't make you lose control of your arms and thus hold aim at their eyes.

However, I do agree with you that it takes bit of sense and a responsible user that considers others when they are playing.....much like many other concerns in airsoft.

For airsoft use, the G&P PEQ2 with IR laser is a very nice and durable option. For a smaller real steal-capable option that is fairly 'cheap', but kind of a pain to zero at first, look at the Corsak.

It isn't instantaneous damage. Played tons at night and aiming low applies to day or night skirmishing anyway with an AEG, so adding a laser doesn't make you lose control of your arms and thus hold aim at their eyes.

IR laser's cannot be detected by humans at all. One could be shining in your eyes and you would have no natural reflex like with a colored laser. That makes them much for dangerous. Not eve mentioning what would happen if someone thought it was really a visible laser that died and looked right into it.

IR laser's cannot be detected by humans at all. One could be shining in your eyes and you would have no natural reflex like with a colored laser. That makes them much for dangerous. Not eve mentioning what would happen if someone thought it was really a visible laser that died and looked right into it.

Um, yeah, I know. That is a dandy recap for those that don't however; thanks for making them aware. For those that do, we're already aware of such issues and how to handle these devices.

But aye installed a lazer on my M4, and my arms turned into gobbily go0!!1 :P

I was mainly referring to being bumped (knocking into a team mate or into some other object), etc., but yeah, I do see your point.

I wouldn't mind playing with/against a (highly) responsible user with a nightvision setup, but if some average Joe Bob walked onto the field with a powerful IR laser, wanting to use it in a skirmish, I wouldn't be all that happy about it, and I'd sure as heck make that fact known to him. ;)

-Vic

Um, yeah, I know. That is a dandy recap for those that don't however; thanks for making them aware. For those that do, we're already aware of such issues and how to handle these devices.

Sorry, my comment should have been more directed to the original poster who can't spell laser right.

Oh, speaking of IR laser use in airsoft (this has been on my mind for awhile), RSOV currently sells a few IR lasers (made by Vanaras, advertised as what might be used to make the Vanaras PEQ-15 into a working laser unit) that are Class IIIB. Class III *fruitcage* B!

From Wikipedia:

Class I/1 is inherently safe, usually because the light is contained in an enclosure, for example in cd players.

Class II/2 is safe during normal use; the blink reflex of the eye will prevent damage. Usually up to 1 mW power, for example laser pointers.

Class IIIa/3R lasers are usually up to 5 mW and involve a small risk of eye damage within the time of the blink reflex. Staring into such a beam for several seconds is likely to cause (minor) eye damage.

Class IIIb/3B can cause immediate severe eye damage upon exposure. Usually lasers up to 500 mW, such as those in cd and dvd burners.

Class IV/4 lasers can burn skin, and in some cases, even scattered light can cause eye and/or skin damage. Many industrial and scientific lasers are in this class.

The fact that they sell IIIBs in this way (to average Joe Bobs) is kinda' scary, if you ask me.

-Vic

okay the laser was spelt like that to see if anyone would pick it out of austin powers as a joke ahh well.

The reason i'm getting this unit is its going to be a 5mW and with NVG's only for aiming so its easier for team mates to see where your aiming. we also figured how to make it coloured you put a bit of green or red plastic and with the light from the laser now it doesn't go in anyones eye.

There is also a strict rule of aiming below the shoulders. As some bozo used a 15mW and left it on started to clean his barrel and got blinded (which is pretty dumb if you think about it).

A better option is a variable power red laser, turned right down it will still be very obvious under NV, but not as obvious to those without NV as a normal red laser. If your using NV you shouls only be turning it on for a second before firing anyway.

mikogel, have you tried ebay, they have the G&P PEQ with an IR laser and beam installed into them, as well as with the PAQ-IV version. And if your lucky, might come across a CVL version from time to time, that of course being the real deal and non IR. Hope this helps in any way.

You know, I can "see" near IR and UV and hear those ultrasound animal scarers.

That is to say, my blink reflex kicks in for some IR lasers, where it would not for others.

I can read this as easily as the black on white

As usual for questions of perception I had no idea I was weird.

After some exhaustive tests it seems I have really terrible colour perception but extremely good contrast vision, I can see more shades of grey than most people and see more of the spectrum too.

I can hear higher pitched sounds too but I have a really nasty dead spot in my mid range hearing where human voices live. Doh!

You know, I can "see" near IR and UV and hear those ultrasound animal scarers.

That is to say, my blink reflex kicks in for some IR lasers, where it would not for others.

I can read this as easily as the black on white

As usual for questions of perception I had no idea I was weird.

After some exhaustive tests it seems I have really terrible colour perception but extremely good contrast vision, I can see more shades of grey than most people and see more of the spectrum too.

I can hear higher pitched sounds too but I have a really nasty dead spot in my mid range hearing where human voices live. Doh!

are... are you the $6 million man?

:P

Also, laser is spelt with an s.

Technicaly, it should be written as L.A.S.E.R. - it stands for Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation.

Just something that always bugs me ;)

Darn mate, beat me to it...by about 20 hours, but still.

As for lasers, ESPECIALLY IR lasers, I feel they should be disallowed from ALL play, airsoft or otherwise. I can speak only out of visible-spectrum experience, but VS Lasers are painful to behold, even across a field. They cause retinal damage in fairly common practice, and in anything but the cleanest of air and the highest of light, they are a dead giveaway of your position.

In things like war, even a simulated one, accidents will happen. Just "not aiming it at their eyes" WILL backfire eventually.

Archived